6 Posts

BattleCON: Devastation of Indines» Forums » General

Subject: Markers for "cooldown" bases and styles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tan Song
msg tools
Hey all,

I'm about to get my first Battlecon set, and am obviously super excited for it! I was just thinking of how to make it easier for new players to play (myself included) given the potential complexity arising from the number of possible combinations, and thought that it would be a good idea to have "cooldown" tokens to put on the reference sheets that I understand each player will have. This will let the player immediately know what moves are unavailable to the opponent at one glance. Anyone tried this and can share their experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Kobe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's necessary. It's pretty clear and intuitive that the cards in your discard piles are unavailable and that those in your hand are.

Edit: Welcome to BGG! BattleCon is a great game and has a great community right here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he was speaking more about what the opponent has available, and it's not really a bad idea. However, it should not generally be an issue due to the fact that all information is public information - including your opponent's hand, up until they select their attack pair for the turn. As such, at the very least, each player should have the cards in their discard pile clearly visible, and should definitely be willing to share the information of its contents if asked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't bother keeping them updated every single turn, but if I had tokens to block out two of my opponent's styles, I'd probably use them once or twice per game, in a beat where I was doing heavy thinking while staring at the reference card. It's not a terrible idea.

On the other hand, someone who's learning the game probably would do better to play fast games and see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vines
United States
Blue Springs
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your experiences will vary I'm sure, but I was a couple dozen games in before I really started paying attention to what my opponent had in his discards. And by then, I was comfortable enough with the game that a quick glance would give me most of the information I needed. I do recommend that you always discard with the base on bottom with the name visible, and the style on top. That being said, if a token or two on the reference card would help you keep track of what the opponent has available, I say go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvines wrote:
I do recommend that you always discard with the base on bottom with the name visible, and the style on top.

I agree with this. Since people usually have the same bases, having the Style on top helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.