Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What are your opinions on what we got so far on the ability of playing by yourself? I'm going to be fighting demons bugs the size of gorillas psycho fireball wielding maniacs and god knows what else. And despite all these freaks and abominations that defy comprehension I am more of a range or social player. What this means for Arkham is unless I see a really neat looking Guardian or Rogue in an expansion pack I'm focusing on Survivors Seekers and Mystics for most part the more difficult classes.

Seekers: They focus on Intellect skill checks and can't hit broadside of a barn not to mention their health suck so...

Mystics: Powerful enough to turn you into ashes in an instant and have high mental capacity they like Seekers don't have a lot going in the body department..

Survivors: Middle of road these guys while they don't focus on powerful items or gain spells they are good at avoiding monsters and can investigate well enough but are not experts in any field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Moore
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BardicSkaven wrote:
I'm going to be fighting demons bugs the size of gorillas psycho fireball wielding maniacs and god knows what else.

Now, THAT's a spicy meatball...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has said this game can be played as a "truly solo" experience, meaning one investigator. I largely believe that is because you could take any of the classes, load them up with neutral weapons and abilities, play on easy and beat the scenarios.

That said, I don't think (and I hope) that the classes aren't diluted for the sake of providing a solo experience. I would much prefer the classes be tailored to their strengths and complement each other rather than each of them being tanks using different stats to fight and investigate with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the previews, it seems like the classes really are tailored to a certain play style, and it's up to you as the player to shore up weaknesses. For example, if your character is more the scholarly sort with a weakness physically, you can either lean into the class with spells and such or maybe give up some of that for the Bulletproof Vest, or maybe more offense with some firearms and bullets. At least, that's how I hope the design space is shaping up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't expect it to be a big problem. If you know you're weak at combat for instance, then you either build your deck to cover that weakness with some combat boosting cards, or else compensate for it by being good at evading or otherwise avoiding combat, or taking spells that do damage, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
Don't forget the Resign action. If you're in a campaign, and your Investigator can't handle the current scenario, you can just grab what you can and run (albeit with a penalty to future scenarios). Granted, that's not worth much if you're playing the scenario as a stand-alone, but in that case, you're freely customizing your Investigator for that particular challenge anyway.

Note that I don't think skilled players will have to resort to that very often (though the option's available when the terrible Arkham Files luck rears its ugly head). After LotR's Core Tactics deck, FFG has hopefully learned its lesson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Llessur Nosnikliw
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rsdockery wrote:
After LotR's Core Tactics deck, FFG has hopefully learned its lesson.

Lol I hope along side of you... I remember feeling like I was banging my head against the wall trying to play core quests with the tactics deck solo... while it was intense out the gate, it made for a very frustrating experience

But two-handed, tactics really shone -- I always wonder if that is how they meant it to be, and if the same thing will end up happening in Arkham Horror LCG as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well without playing the full game all I can say is that since every investigator has at least 1 secondary class and 1 primary class that feels like you should be able to compensate for your primary class' weaknesses if needed.

The problem in LOTR is that the heroes generated resources for a particular sphere. Early in the game dual or tri sphere decks were not easy to accomplish (later on tools were released for resource smoothing). Most solo decks (1 handed) are dual or tri sphere decks, which allows you to play to several sphere's strengths in the same deck. That said it's not impossible to dual sphere in the core. Watch the Progression Series on Youtube. Both those guys are playing dual sphere decks out of the core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmm just curious but given what I seen it seems that dual classes as it were be easier in Arkham then LoTR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
Well without playing the full game all I can say is that since every investigator has at least 1 secondary class and 1 primary class that feels like you should be able to compensate for your primary class' weaknesses if needed.

The problem in LOTR is that the heroes generated resources for a particular sphere. Early in the game dual or tri sphere decks were not easy to accomplish (later on tools were released for resource smoothing). Most solo decks (1 handed) are dual or tri sphere decks, which allows you to play to several sphere's strengths in the same deck. That said it's not impossible to dual sphere in the core. Watch the Progression Series on Youtube. Both those guys are playing dual sphere decks out of the core.

As shown from the Dunwich Legacy, not every investigator will have a second class, as they only get a primary and then 5 level 0 cards from any class. You may be able to compensate with just those 5 cards, but it's still not really as well rounded as a complete second class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a game I'll 2-handed even though it sounds like pure solo is a viable option. I just like building synergy between decks and having that co-op variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.