Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole wrote a nice piece about the design of the box cover and its evolution. As usual when it comes to Mr. Wehrle, it's thoughtful, informative, and entertaining.

https://hollandspiele.com/blogs/hollandazed-thoughts-ideas-a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting article. I will say that I love the cover of the new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Clark
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is a typography enthusiast and I often show her striking game box covers from 30-40 years ago. Love that Hollandspiele (and Cole) have adopted this approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Songs don't need more than three minutes.
Posters/covers don't need more than three colors.
The cover is a beaut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As always, very thoughtful. My only concern is the wake. It is an odd and imbrobable shape that has the effect of bringing the eye downward, away from the title and the ship. My $0.02 (if it is even worth that much) is that a spreading wake would both direct the eye upward and also potentially echo the growing darkness effect - not to mention giving a certain 'broadness' to the impact of the ship and its consequences.

Probably too late to tinker. And my design advice has a history of... Well... Wrongness; whenever my wife - who designs book covers for a living - asks my opinion, she always wishes she hadn't.

All that said, I think the cover as-is is lovely. And based on the designer and all that I've heard so far, this game could have a reboot of the Go Gos 'Vaction' on the cover and it would be an autobuy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had quite the opposite effect . . . following the wake toward the ship with my eye. I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
I think the cover is fine. I prefer the original (painting) for its historical tone but the minimalistic, modern look fits the rest of production better. I also liked the text dominant cover of Pamir though the final cover choice was historically indicative of the period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the kind words; it was a fun thing to design--though not half so fun as the map.

The typeface is Goudy Old Style which I've just fallen head-over-heels for. It's a little out of period, but I couldn't resist it. Despite its austere look, it's got a very high x-height (good for readability when printed small) and has capitals with strong lowercase affinities (ideal for a text heavy map that needed to make lots of quick visual pivots to signal different kinds of information).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole, this looks excellent! Really slick and well weighted, like a knife with some heft.

I really enjoy your prototype Pamir covers. They're both really solid (the second one is slick, but gives a very abstract impression), even though the printed game cover really nailed it. I think Phil of a decade ago, may have gone with the first cover. It looks like an old SMG title, especially with that heavy text.

Always enlightening to hear behind the scenes thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, simple and beautiful are NOT mutually exclusive. I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I simultaneously love these posts, and hate that you keep teasing us with these posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nostra
Slovenia
Ljubljana (Colonia Iulia Aemona, Roman Empire 1st-5th century AD)
flag msg tools
John Company (2017) by Cole Wehrle, Sierra Madre Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely love that harbor scene! Makes one yearn to time travel. Agree with John that the original painting wouldn't have matched the rest of the production. The new cover is nice, unique, and noticeable!

The blue green red triangle play depicting the Pax Pamir mountains was smart (could have been used for the expansion box?), but the political cartoon on the final cover was a brilliant choice. It's one of the catchiest box covers ever. (Phil's been on quite a roll, too, with his choices... love Pax Porfiriana's new box: the flag of Mexico is a beaut! and the amazing Bios:Genesis!)

Looking forward to the next blog post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The design of the title is beautifully balanced, with the ship (the second version of the ship is quite nice) in place of the 'i', connecting title with picture. I really love the gradient, which is the finishing touch of a great cover design.

To be honest I needed some time to get into the Hollandspiele covers but this cover pulls me in. I think the use of only three colours may indeed be a good signature feature for HS covers.

The use of a gradient might enhance the design of the covers, making them more lively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Shaw

Central
msg tools
mbmb
Subject matter brought me to the BGG page. The promise reflected in the artwork and graphic design ethic put the game on my watch-list. Reading Cole's thoughtful and honest commentary and reflecting on what this implies for the development of the game has moved this to a must-buy for me. Can't wait. Nice work, sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
No good will come of this, mark my words!
badge
mbmb
I wish more covers were like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.