Subject: Question after solo play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a solo game of Zombicide: Rue Morgue last night and had a blast. I did come across something that struck me as odd and I couldn't find a definite answer in the rulebook. I was playing M01: Gas Run from the Rue Morgue rule book.

Here's the scenario I found myself in. After the first couple of turns, all 6 of my survivors were in the large building in the middle. I entered the building through the door nearest to the survivor start area. The other two doors to the large building were closed.

And here's my dilemma. The zombies that spawn on the 4-5 and 6 spawn areas can not see my survivors through the building and I have not opened either of the two doors on that side. Does this mean that any zombies that spawn from 4-5 or 6 are meant to walk ALL the way around the outside of the map, to the open door near the start area, until another door is opened? Even though all 6 survivors are only 1 space away behind a closed door? According to the rules:

- If they can’t see anybody, they move toward the Zone that
contains the most Noise tokens regardless of the distance.
In case there are no open paths to the noisiest Zone, they
move toward it as if all doors were open, though locked
doors still stop them.

This ruling seems weird to me. The zombies SHOULD be able to hear the survivors in the building and congregate at the closed door.

Friends initially told me that Zombicide was a tough game and wins were either scarce or well earned. I've played probably 10-12 games of Rue Morgue and Black Plague and have never come close to losing even once. It's a fun experience but it has yet to be a challenging one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if there is an open path, zombies will always follow that path, no matter how out of the way it might seem.

its only when there is no open path that they will group behind a closed door to the survivors/noise.

zombicide is generally very difficult but it depends on what types of zombies you play with/available equipment/survivors and a bit of luck in the draw of equipment/zombies.

some survivor skills can make a game easier (shove/taunt/lifesaver/medic)

i find ZBP slightly less difficult given the additional options survivors have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xavarir wrote:

Friends initially told me that Zombicide was a tough game and wins were either scarce or well earned. I've played probably 10-12 games of Rue Morgue and Black Plague and have never come close to losing even once. It's a fun experience but it has yet to be a challenging one.

Are you sure you are getting all the rules right? Are you spawning in buildings when you open them? Are you playing that single damage weapons don't kill fatties/aboms even if you roll multiple hits with them? Some scenarios are easier than others but 10 games without difficulty sounds to me like you are getting an important rule wrong somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
if there is an open path, zombies will always follow that path, no matter how out of the way it might seem.

its only when there is no open path that they will group behind a closed door to the survivors/noise.

zombicide is generally very difficult but it depends on what types of zombies you play with/available equipment/survivors and a bit of luck in the draw of equipment/zombies.

some survivor skills can make a game easier (shove/taunt/lifesaver/medic)

i find ZBP slightly less difficult given the additional options survivors have.

Thanks for the clarification. I read that section of the rulebook but it still seemed strange that the zombies would take that long route around to the open door.

I played it so that the zombies just piled up at the door, which should have made it even harder, but it was still relatively easy. From now on I'll play it the correct way.

I was only playing with the Rue Morgue base set which only includes Skinner Zombies. I'd like to get some from the other Zombicide games to mix in. Hopefully ramping up the difficulty a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
Xavarir wrote:

Are you sure you are getting all the rules right? Are you spawning in buildings when you open them? Are you playing that single damage weapons don't kill fatties/aboms even if you roll multiple hits with them? Some scenarios are easier than others but 10 games without difficulty sounds to me like you are getting an important rule wrong somewhere.

At this point I hope I'm missing major rules. I've also read the rulebook from front to back upwards of 10 times now as I try to figure out if I'm doing anything wrong. I've played it solo and with anywhere from 2-7 other players. I've had others read through the rulebook as well to help keep the game flowing in larger games. Some of the people in my groups are real sticklers for rules.

I identified some rule mistakes during our earlier games. We were rolling when attempting to open a door and only opening on a "success" (much like attacking with that weapon; I think it works like this in Black Plague?). We were also picking up objective tokens automatically when the first survivor walked into a space.

Perhaps the beginning scenarios are designed to be easier and the later ones take a steep difficulty jump? Out of 10 games (with different groups) the furthest I've been through the book is M01.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xavarir wrote:
Perhaps the beginning scenarios are designed to be easier and the later ones take a steep difficulty jump? Out of 10 games (with different groups) the furthest I've been through the book is M01.

This! I would highly recommend trying one of the later scenarios. The first couple are pretty much intro tutorial missions that are designed to be easier.

Other than the rules I mentioned above (building spawns, needing 2 damage weapons to kill fatties) it is also pretty easy to forget to increase experience levels when killing zombies, which is the key mechanism to escalate the game.

Definitely try one of the later missions though. I am sure you will find the challenge much more to your liking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moretheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xavarir wrote:
I'm just a Black Plague player but I found the beginning scenarios easy for it.

But - if you find them easy - why not make your own? Add more bosses of various types, remove some runners so they get extra activations more often (haven't tried this), make a bigger map, add victory conditions....

I just got some more tiles and can't wait to play with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.