Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthias Hawran
France
St Avertin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm interested in the meaning of the title.
If a German speaking native can explain, that would be great.

Thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Grenier
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schotten means Scots/Ecossais and töten (with one t not 2) means Kill or Death. I am not sure which one since google translate is giving me Kill in English but Mort (Death) in French.

Now since Totten is written with 2 t, I am guessing it is some kind of pun but I am not sure what it means either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
I am German, but I don't have a clue, what "Totten" means. I am sure that it doesn't have anything to do with "töten" (=kill).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Hawran
France
St Avertin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I guess only Reiner Knizia can give us an explanation... :-)
Does he post on BGG ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If "Totten" is not a real word, then presumably it's just intended to rhyme humorously with "Schotten", like e.g. "boogie woogie" or "artsy fartsy".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Totten
msg tools
My last name is Totten, a derivative from the German word Toten. My great grandfather was still using the spelling Toten as his last name in the 1800's.
In German, the word Toten means dead. Please check this out by Googling the band "Die Toten Hosen" (The Dead Trousers) a German punk rock band. The Totten family migrated from Germany through Norway and into Ireland, Scotland, and England prior to immigrating to the USA.
Totten mountain is in Hemsedal and the East and West Totten regions are in Norway. Also, there is a hand slapping game called Bo Bo Ski Otten Totten (various spellings), again Google it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
"Totten" still is a rare surname in Germany. But I could not find the surname "Toten". I do not think that "Totten" has anything to do with "tot", which means "dead", but I do not know for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A German-speaking colleague of mine explained this to me a few weeks back.
He thought it has to do with the Khoikhoi people, also called Hottentots ("Hottentotten" in German and Dutch). From what I remember, they were an African people who massively and disorderly deserted the English army in the field of battle after having been hastily enlisted by force. According to Wordreference, there's a phrase about them in German: "hier geht’s zu wie bei den Hottentotten" (which means something like: "It’s like bedlam in here").

So the title of the game would be a pun based on this, suggestive of disorderly Scotts…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.