Carlos Brito
Brazil
Niterói
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I haven't got my copy of Scythe yet.

First of all, let me make clear that Stonemaier Games is not to be blamed at all. They were very efficient and professional and if it depended on them, I'd have my copy long ago.

Brazilian customs is the real culprit here.

On August 5th I went to the post office to collect my copy of Scythe. Then I found out that I had been overtaxed. They defined the tax I'd have to pay for the game establishing a value for the game that was almost 3 times the real value I had paid, shipping rates included. I was required to pay something very close to US$200 more to get my game.

I required review of the taxes, had to fill a lot of forms, attached several documents and they gave me a deadline of 2 months to revise the tax, if my complaint was fair of course, what it is.

Well this 2-months deadline expired today and I still have no answer at all from the brazilian customs and no idea of how long more it will take.

This is very frustrating because there is nothing else I can do but wait and so I decided to create this thread to check if there is anyone else with any kind of trouble like mine. Suffering hates solitude. Am I the last backer in the planet who hasn't received this game or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very sorry that you still don't have your game. Would it help, if the Brazilian customs officers could contact us to get the cost confirmed by us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that really sucks! I really hope this gets cleared up soon so you can get your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
* adds "smuggling board games to Brazil" to his list of business "opportunities" *
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carlos, I'm really sorry to hear that ordeal has continued. If at any point you think you're simply not going to get the game from the hands of Brazilian customs, please let me know so I can send you a full refund. I know you'd rather have the game, though, so I'm rooting for customs to finally cooperate with you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italo Cavini
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am Brazilian too and that really sucks man

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Brito
Brazil
Niterói
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Engine
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
I'm very sorry that you still don't have your game. Would it help, if the Brazilian customs officers could contact us to get the cost confirmed by us?

Thanks again for the support. As I said before, I have nothing but praise for Stonemeyer Games.

I submitted credit card bills, printouts of kickstarter screens and web site addresses. In principle I believe the info I presented should be enough. The people in charge of the revision could ask for more if they thought the info I submitted was not enough, but so far they haven't done anything, so I think I can only wait. But it's good to know that I have your support if they ask for more info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Brito
Brazil
Niterói
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Engine
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Carlos, I'm really sorry to hear that ordeal has continued. If at any point you think you're simply not going to get the game from the hands of Brazilian customs, please let me know so I can send you a full refund. I know you'd rather have the game, though, so I'm rooting for customs to finally cooperate with you!

Hi James,

Thanks a lot.

Once more you confirm the high standards of Stonemaier Games regarding client support.

You're right. I really prefer to get the game instead of having my money back. For now I'm holding to the belief that it's just a matter of time and that eventually I'll get my game after paying what is fair to the customs. If anything else happens, it's highly conforting to know that I can count on your support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:

jameystegmaier wrote:

If this is not great customer service, I don't know what is.

Carlos, I hope you get your game eventually.

Morten, Jamey, keep raising the standards for board game publishers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try sending a mech in there, hopefully this should speed things up. Not talking about violence of course, as we all know, Scythe is all about *the threat* of battle ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bloody hell, that's rubbish. Ah, the joys of customs and government bureaucracy, in general. Hope you get it sorted out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brito wrote:

I required review of the taxes, had to fill a lot of forms, attached several documents and they gave me a deadline of 2 months to revise the tax, if my complaint was fair of course, what it is.

Well this 2-months deadline expired today and I still have no answer at all from the brazilian customs and no idea of how long more it will take.

Oww, this is very unfortunate. Last time I got overtaxed I had to fill only one form and 3 weeks later I got it back. Sure, more proofs are better, but just one form yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cross
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow man, that's really terrible. I feel for you.

I had a very similar experience but my copies of the game (I backed three copies) have thankfully finally arrived. I think South Africa and Brazil probably have similarly inefficient postal services. No one at the SAPS could tell me where my game was, despite the tracking number indicating that it had left France and therefore arrived in SA. This went on for weeks. Jamie very kindly got the shipping company to start an investigation into the shipment from their end (even though it was obvious to me that it was entirely the fault of the SAPS).

Finally, the package was tracked down (mainly because my brother - who pledged for a game with me - has a contact at the SAPS who personally searched for the package and managed to find it). When I drove out to the airport to collect it, the guy seemed to want me to pay him a bribe for having found the package but I was a bit slow on the uptake so only realised that's what he had meant until I had already left (not that I would have paid him a bribe if I had figured that out).

Before it finally arrived, I thought I was the last backer on the planet and was very close to making a post like yours.

It seems to me though that the South African postal service is less competent than the Brazilian one. When I went to collect my parcel, the SA customs hadn't even looked at it yet and so they hadn't assessed the price. Instead, the lady at the counter simply asked me what it cost! I said "Oh, it was very expensive, $100." and she charged me tax accordingly. I wish I had been a bit quicker as I'm pretty sure I could have convincingly said a lesser amount. The box just looked so big (with three games inside plus extra realistic resource tokens) and I didn't want to arouse suspicion. I don't normally lie but the opportunity was too good to pass on and I just reacted instinctively. I don't feel too bad though since the SAPS is so completely useless and made me wait over a month more for this excellent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingmar Hauge
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
It's cold outside. There's no kind of atmosphere. I'm all alone. More or less. Let me fly. Far away from here. Fun fun fun. In the sun sun sun...
badge
Darn, I'm Dwayne Dibbley again....
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Try sending a mech in there, hopefully this should speed things up. Not talking about violence of course, as we all know, Scythe is all about *the threat* of battle

Wouldn't help. The Mech would get stuck in customs as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Brito
Brazil
Niterói
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Engine
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if there is anyone still following, because it's been quite a while since my original post, but in consideration to all people who posted in/thumbed this thread to support me in this long wait, in special to Morten and Jamey (you are really great!), I come here to tell that the story had a happy ending after all.

Today, after 2 months and 3 weeks waiting for tax revision I went to the post office to pay the taxes now correctly calculated and collect my copy of Scythe.

Now Morten and Jamey can say their kickstarter mission is absolutely 100% accomplished.

Here is the photo of the last copy of Scythe delivered to a backer in the whole world. As I have no cats to put on the picture with the box, I used my Venice Winged Lion souvenir - the next best thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very glad to see that Carlos! Though there is a retail backer in Mexico who had his entire order rejected by customs, so it has just now arrived back at our fulfillment center, and we're going to ship it to him again. So you're last before him and all of his customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brito wrote:
I don't know if there is anyone still following, because it's been quite a while since my original post, but in consideration to all people who posted in/thumbed this thread to support me in this long wait, in special to Morten and Jamey (you are really great!), I come here to tell that the story had a happy ending after all.

Today, after 2 months and 3 weeks waiting for tax revision I went to the post office to pay the taxes now correctly calculated and collect my copy of Scythe.

Now Morten and Jamey can say their kickstarter mission is absolutely 100% accomplished.

Here is the photo of the last copy of Scythe delivered to a backer in the whole world. As I have no cats to put on the picture with the box, I used my Venice Winged Lion souvenir - the next best thing.

So, what did the tax end up being?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Brito
Brazil
Niterói
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Engine
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
I'm very glad to see that Carlos! Though there is a retail backer in Mexico who had his entire order rejected by customs, so it has just now arrived back at our fulfillment center, and we're going to ship it to him again. So you're last before him and all of his customers. :)

Sorry to hear there are still people waiting for their copies. The OP award wasn't one to be envied anyway.

By the way, I played it for the first time a few days ago with other 4 friends. Everyone loved the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Brito
Brazil
Niterói
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Engine
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:
So, what did the tax end up being?

The "legal" tax (I leave it to everyone's interpretation if it's also the "fair" tax) in Brazil is 60% of the product price + shipping rate. My copy was a collector's edition (US$134 with shipping). So they taxed me in US$80. Still expensive, I think (but that's the way the things are and if you want the game you have to accept it), but far way better than US$200.

One have to remember still that average income in Brazil is much smaller than in Europe and U.S. To be a boardgame collector in Brazil isn't a hobby for everyone...

There's a publisher in Brazil now announcing the pre-order of the brazilian version of Scythe's collector's edition (80 copies only). They're selling for about US$200 + shipping. It's not clear when the game will be ready. So, importing or not, the game is expensive here. The brazilian retail version is not available for pre-order yet, but people say this will happen sometime in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.