Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross post from KS comments.

Jamey from The Secret Cabal Podcast talked about playing PE which he got from GenCon in their latest podcast.

Basically, he said the game was fun but a bit fiddly. He thought that setup was long and a chore but still kind of fun. The components though were crap. The minis are ugly and the plastic is bad but you got a lot of them. The board was ripping at its seams and he was probably going to ask for a replacement. He was unsure if he should recommend it or not.

It's too bad, but it sounds like the poor components overshadowed the fun gameplay for him. It's a shame that such a fun concept would be marred by poor execution/production.

It is interesting to note, that he seemed completely unaware of any of the Kickstarter issues or drama so his opinion should have been based purely on the game and not on any of that stuff.

It sounds like he only played it once though, so it's possible that repeated plays would make the quality of the components fade into the background while playing. Or so I hope anyway, because while gameplay is king for me, I also appreciate nice components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I KickStarted the game, and I have no issue with the components at all. Ok, the minis may not be CMoN standard, but I've seen far worse. In fact I am quite happy with them. The tokens are your normal 'punch card' affair; the dice are great.

When you are playing manically, you have no time to stare in wonder at the minis, rather you are frantically moving them around the board and casting them aside as you kill them, so they need to be strong and robust.

I feel there was a lot of discord amongst backers as the minis were originally advertised as high quality, but for me I like them. Maybe I have lower standards, but it seems the game is still receiving some unfair flak.

The gameplay is brilliant, you feel you are really mowing down these alien invaders with a whole host of awesome weapons. I think lots is people are really going to enjoy this game, and will be their epitome of real time strategy games.

So much so it has made Mr Vasel's number one real time game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still haven't listened tot he latest episode, but I saw Project: Elite on the list of discussion and was excited. Sad to hear he wasn't that impressed with it. I do know that he's a mini's guy, he paints and gets a lot of Warhammer stuff so his expectations are high.

Hearing about the board is more concerning... I didn't expect issues there. Also surprised that he overall felt that it was more fiddly than fun. The nature of the game is "fiddly", you're constantly moving pieces around, but it seems like it would be done in an engaging way to me with the pressure and all.

Hopefully I'll be able to make my own judgement some day when I finally get my copy, hah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I haven't had any issues with my board, but I admit the components aren't super impressive. The game is a blast though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P.
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up my copy of the game at Gencon, and my lab/crash site one board was ripped. They're supposedly sending me a replacement, and I used some Modge Podge glue (basically craft Elmer's glue) to fix it up in the mean time. I was (and still am) also missing one of my boss aliens.

The minis are fine! I can see why you might not like them if you're a minis aficionado and you were planning on painting them with loving detail, but really, they're fine and there are a ton of them. Yes, I do think the Kickstarter's promise of "highly detailed miniatures" was off by a mile, but I'm perfectly happy with how they turned out. Unless you were planning on getting this as a painting project, I absolutely don't think you should be turned off by the minis.

Anyway, the game is fantastic. I've had it set up on my game table for a few days in a row, and I've played it with my son or solo every night this week. Set up/take down is kind of long because there are so many pieces and cards, but the same is true for any game with that many components. I hope the Secret Cabal guys give it another chance. Do they typically like real-time games anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don´t have any issue with the board.
Set up is somewhat long when you want to organize all the minis appart and don´t have them in baggies (Toss the insert, get some bags ).
But fiddly maybe only for "american" fingers or when you have some beer too many...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This opinion surprises me. Every single person I've tried this game with thought it was brilliant. Even my wife (not so much a gamer) thought it was a lot of fun and immediately wanted to try again.

So, take this guy's opinion with a grain of salt I say, at least when it comes to gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
kbieb wrote:

Basically, he said the game was fun but a bit fiddly. He thought that setup was long and a chore but still kind of fun.

Then the guy is a dreamer. Setup is long? Compared to what, a video game?

Set-up is 5 mins max. Keep him away from any FFG game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
kbieb wrote:

Basically, he said the game was fun but a bit fiddly. He thought that setup was long and a chore but still kind of fun.

Then the guy is a dreamer. Setup is long? Compared to what, a video game?

Set-up is 5 mins max. Keep him away from any FFG game.

It's funny because he's a pretty huge fan of every FFG game, and also monsters like KanBan.

Maybe he's perfectly arranging every alien up in straight lines beforehand, hah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pieforteeth wrote:
Anyway, the game is fantastic. I've had it set up on my game table for a few days in a row, and I've played it with my son or solo every night this week. Set up/take down is kind of long because there are so many pieces and cards, but the same is true for any game with that many components. I hope the Secret Cabal guys give it another chance. Do they typically like real-time games anyway?

Hm, I don't recall them every really commenting on realtime games much at all. Good or bad. Jamie who is the one that bought and commented on the game seems pretty open to all game types though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:
pieforteeth wrote:

Hm, I don't recall them every really commenting on realtime games much at all. Good or bad. Jamie who is the one that bought and commented on the game seems pretty open to all game types though.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did circle back to it. This wasn't an actual review but more of a play report, so perhaps in the future they will do a full review.

And it's not like he was totally down on it either. He said it was fun but wasn't sure if he could recommend it or not. He was conflicted. I suspect if the components had been better he would have liked the game better. It sounds superficial I suppose but I'm probably guilty of that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
The Secret Cabal is super erratic. If he didn't love it, you have to respect that opinion but their reasons are often self-contradictory or even founded on false facts.

Also, he likes Games Workshop stuff because mini quality is paramount to his tastes. Many gamers find GW games overpriced and mediocre in design. This bias would make PE a harder fit for him.

So take it as a datapoint, but don't read too much into specifics. Tom Vasel loves the game and he is a huge components fan, so it didn't bother everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Listened to this episode, have to say it wasn't as bad as I thought from reading this thread. Seems like he was pretty torn on it, but many times over his description of the game he kept emphasizing that it was fun. Said "fun" over and over many times as he was complaining about things like it being fiddly, being upset about the board ripping, ugly models, etc. He wasn't really complaining about setup, but more in relation to the game time. Which I think the real thing here is, from what I insinuated, him and one other buddy set it up, went over the rules and then just played one game of it. So it was a pretty limited first impression.

It did king of kill me though because soon after the talk of Project: Elite, talk kind of shifted towards Zombicide and they all kept raving about how great Black Plague is. I don't really know how you can complain about setup time and fiddliness for any game, and then say positive things about Zombicide afterwards. I've always thought that Project: Elite seemed like Zombicide at warp speed to me.

Especially since Jamie specifically complained about how tedious it was to move all the aliens between turns. That's what really kills Zombicide for me, feels like you spend more time moving mindless zombies one square then you do on your own turn, "Okay, I search, I move, I try to open this door, turns over".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.