Blood Rage» Forums » Variants

Subject: Blood rage variant without the suicide battles. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raeez Basheer
India
flag msg tools
I should be in the minority here.
I find the game mechanic of losing battles to gain victory points to be unthematic. Why would any viking purposefully lose a battle?? If they want a glorious death, die in the ragnarok.
I removed some cards from the game, like the one where you get points for releasing your units from Valhalla, and some other Loki cards.
The game still plays fine, in my opinion. Now winning battles actually means something. You can always gain VPs in other ways like positioning your troops in a specific region or dying in ragnarok, so that the game still remains multidimensional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Þráinn Gunnlaugur Þorsteinsson
Iceland
Hafnarfjörður
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually I would argue that those cards are thematic since they are all linked to Loki, the god of deception. In my opinion you are just removing one of the multiple ways to win the game and therefore removing one of the layers this game has that is not like every other area control game but hey man, it's your copy so it's all up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Long
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To die a glorious death fighting insuperable foes, against impossible odds, with the low evening sun in your eyes, a bitter wind at your back and without hope in your heart is to honour your ancestors and to favour your descendants. Fights you expect to win are the easy ones; it is the fights you expect to lose that test your courage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Having players that want to loose units in combat is important to the balance of the game. That way different players have different objectives when entering battle.

Sometimes you know that before the battle and it helps you deciding your strategy, sometimes you don't and it adds an element of surprise.

I wouldn't want to play without.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J-F Beaudoin
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I would say traitory is plenty thematique. There are always tales of people trying to tip the scales of battle using various artifices.

By removing those cards you are cutting out some unknown that has to be considered when pillaging (e.g. you have 1 rage left when you pillage will the opposing player steal it ?) or again should you use your higher combat cards considering that your opponent may be planning to lose. I would keep that extra layer of strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are, of course, welcome to play the game as you wish. But I won't be kicking Loki out of my game's pantheon. Not only is he thematic, he gives alternate paths toward winning the game, and can also serve as a catch-up mechanism for those behind in strength.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
Becq wrote:
[Loki] can also serve as a catch-up mechanism for those behind in strength.

Interesting, I can't recall a time where I have played and he was used to catch up, usually he is used to grab an early lead and then the player tried to maintain that lead. Loki tends to fall flat in the third Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Holman
Sweden
flag msg tools
Loki's cards are 100% thematic. Dying in battle is the ONLY way to get to Valhalla. Dying of old age was cowardliness and not favored by the gods.

Watch Vikings (the HBO show), it's very accurate to the things we know about the Vikings (christian's erase a lot of that history unfortunately) and dying in battle is absolutely part of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arry -
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Krushhhhh wrote:
Becq wrote:
[Loki] can also serve as a catch-up mechanism for those behind in strength.

Interesting, I can't recall a time where I have played and he was used to catch up, usually he is used to grab an early lead and then the player tried to maintain that lead. Loki tends to fall flat in the third Age.

I remember one game where I played very badly in the fist age, ending up with zero stat upgrades. My saving grace was Loki's Trickery + Domain, which I used for the whole of second age to run players out of cards, then pillaged Yggdrasil and was in a pretty good spot for the third age. Didn't win, but came a close second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.