Popular Tags: [View All]
Andi Woods
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
"A future is something that you make yourself. You have to believe in it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all I just wanted to type out some concerns I had in the process of playing my first game to hopefully get them resolved and I appreciate any help that you can offer!

My first move what to move soldier A into the first edge hex of a map. The paragraph resulting was
Spoiler (click to reveal)
"Activate German 25 in hex M7, standing. Commence Rounds. US advantage. The US soldier who just made his PC check is automatically aware. All aware US soldiers, that do not panic, receive 2 turns this Round. Go to Condition 3"

My first concern was I moved my AR marker for Soldier A up to the 2 turn box and did see that the number was red marking a panic check. I believe this should not occur due to paragraph wording? Either way lets say I had to make a panic check which leads to a second question. The character is marked for an IN of 4 and will fail the panic check of 5 without help from another commander. Do the counters for all of the other soldiers off map count as being within command radius and vice versa allowing the off map commander to project their IN rating?

Edit: Forgot to ask, in regards to the Condition change does the event check for each active soldier in a hex occur immediately or not. I would lean towards after combat, but still switch the cards to be condition 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andi

Your man would have to make the panic check. But then you did send him in on his own so that seems fair enough.

When you are in operations you can move all units in one hex simultaneously so in this situation it would have been advisable to move your trooper in with some buddies to bring the combined IN to 5. The risk with this approach (of course) is that you step into a minefield or you stumble across an MG42. But such is the life of an infantry commander.

To answer your other question, I would say that your man would also need to make the panic check. Just because he is aware does not mean that he is immune to panic. Being aware just means that you can place your man's counter on the Turn Tracker - that's when you check whether the number is red. Needless to say it is a good idea to keep all of your men within a command radius so that this need not be a concern (besides which its really useful to have your commanders give turns).

Hope this helps! This ia my #1 solitaire game. I hope you have as much fun with it as I do. Just ask away if you have more questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Woods
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
"A future is something that you make yourself. You have to believe in it."
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the response, so it seems like anyone off map should not project a command radius that would affect Soldier A's IN. My initial reasoning was to check for a safe area with one soldier before bringing everyone onto the map. Did you have any thoughts involving the condition change?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you were sensible to proceed with caution. I think it would be reasonable to house-rule that your man is within the command radius of an off-map commander but it would be that - a house rule.

You can get bogged down with rules playing this game - particularly in your first few plays. I wouldn't worry about trying to get every last detail right. Some new players can get a bit obsessive about it (restarting when they realise they've been playing something wrong for example). That's ok if thats what you want to do - just so long as you don't get hung up on it. I would always recommend you try to keep going as far as possible. You'll forget some things that work in your favour and you'll forget other things that work against you.

(Don't mean to imply you are doing any of this by the way)

To answer your question - yes, definitely switch to condition 3. You will need to consult the section of the rules relating to condition change during rounds (since that's what you've just started).

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.