Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/seemingly-normal-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
I have a particular set of skills. They mostly involve polling.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steerpike wrote:

Cute premise for a joke but didn't quite pull it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, I don't even like Catan, but going out the window seems a bit extreme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must be out of touch socially.

I didn't realize that group sex was now socially acceptable.

Silly me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh cmon it's funny...

Maybe to me it is because I can relate, people are always flabbergasted that My GF and I play boardgames .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
I think this is kind of funny, and (other than the last line) I think it's making fun of the way society judges people for their "uncool" hobbies at least as much as it's making fun of board gamers. I wish this had been done by the Onion, instead. They would have gotten right to the heart of the issue better somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic article. Another masterpiece by the Daily Mash. Vastly superior than anything the Onion could ever come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Copy Imitator
msg tools
Goats are like mushrooms, if you shoot a duck I'm scared of toasters.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:
Oh cmon it's funny...

Maybe to me it is because I can relate, people are always flabbergasted that My GF and I play boardgames .

Same here. Even my gf is looking at me weirdly from time to time.

If people ask me what my hobbies are I usually just say gaming instead of boardgaming. They usually don't ask any further questions and so I don't have to explain that I'm not playing Monopoly. The ones that do ask questions are most likely geeks themselves and people you can actually talk to about games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:
Fantastic article. Another masterpiece by the Daily Mash. Vastly superior than anything the Onion could ever come up with.

The Onion wouldn't have thrown the group sex line into the middle, it would work better at the end as a punchline. The article goes nowhere after that and just fades out boringly. Leaves it partway between a short-and-sweet piece and an overly stretched out premise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
bradelli wrote:

The Onion wouldn't have thrown the group sex line into the middle, it would work better at the end as a punchline. The article goes nowhere after that and just fades out boringly. Leaves it partway between a short-and-sweet piece and an overly stretched out premise.

It didn't fade out boringly. It ended with the most fantastic line that had me laughing out loud. British humor at its finest. Thanks to the original poster for sharing this article. Comedy at its best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's one of those articles that demonstrates the divide across the pond with humo[u]r. I suspect most Brits would find that (and most of the Daily Mash) funny, Americans less so.

Correct me if I'm wrong...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It turned out a while back that a coworker of mine genuinely thought my saying, "I've got plans to play boardgames tonight" was a euphemism for sexual escapades.

(I'm not sure why, in her mind, I was telling everyone in code rather than just not mentioning my plans at all.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, as an America, found it funny. But then again, I think Monty Python, Benny Hill, and The Hitchhikers guide are some of the best comedy on the planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amusing, but too short.

Pete (feels like he just heard a joke with the punchline delivered much too quickly)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
I must be out of touch socially.

I didn't realize that group sex was now socially acceptable.

Silly me.
And yet your wife seems fully aw... I mean, huh, yeah... Who knew?

plezercruz wrote:
Amusing, but too short.

Pete (feels like he just heard a joke with the punchline delivered much too quickly)
I hear a lot of guys your age have that problem.

Bryan (is just here for the sex jokes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:

I often just read the headline and subhead of a Mash article; that usually tells you the whole joke.

The site does have form for mocking boardgamers: http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/looters-return-st...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope their writers dont get paid by the word

I thought the group sex line was funny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I sent this to 2 people in my office (not gamers), and they thought it was serious

True story
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
Also, I sent this to 2 people in my office (not gamers), and they thought it was serious

True story

In that case, they'd be greatly relieved that the hosts weren't suggesting a game of Busen Memo... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
I have a particular set of skills. They mostly involve polling.
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Amusing, but too short.

Exactly. The idea was funny (board games are pervy, group sex not) it's the execution that was lacking. Obviously everyone laughs at different things so not everyone will agree on this one.

As to the Brit angle, could be but I doubt it. I love Brit humor. Monty Python in the old days, Black Books, Black Adder, and so on forever. This just didn't seem that great, to me.

That some people thought the article was for real, THAT is hilarious. Sadly not too surprising. I'm always seeing Onion articles or New Yorker humor pieces posted on my Facebook feed by people who think they are serious. People be gullible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablito A
msg tools
I laughed until I felt sick....

Oh wait... I'm already running a 101.4 degree temperature.

I'm going back to bed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.