tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is always no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
The answer is always no.

The issue is creating an apparent sexist environment for all the other women and men who you didn't get consent from isn't it?

Still free speech. But bad example for all the people who don't magically know you have explicit consent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
The answer is always no.

No it isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
whac3 wrote:
The answer is always no.

No it isn't.

Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
whac3 wrote:
The answer is always no.

No it isn't.

Why?

Some girls appreciate it and like it.
Most probably don't though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momiji Take-sumi
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
whac3 wrote:
The answer is always no.
TheDashi wrote:
No it isn't.
/kiss\ 'stereotypical' "Attention Whores" EXCEPTED! C`mon! Were you 'blinded' by "SENTIENCE!" surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
whac3 wrote:
The answer is always no.

No it isn't.

Why?

Thank you. Great direct on topic answer. I appreciate that!

Most won't like it. So when you catcall your girlfriend with others around you are making most females in the area (and some males) uncomfortable so you and she can have a little fun.

Look, I agree the answer isn't "always" no. There will be special circumstances where everyone is fine with catcalling. But those are pretty tiny edge cases.

The problem with catcalling is not about you and her.

It's the other people around you who you are inflicting your catcall on.

Some clueless men who do not know that you have explicit consent from a person you know well to catcall her are going to get the impression catcalling strangers is okay again.

Many women in the area will feel uncomfortable.

It's more fun to be oblivious to other people and just focus on your own selfish needs tho. It can feel oppressive to always be considering how other people are going to feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
whac3 wrote:
The answer is always no.

No it isn't.

Why?

Because, like the box said, if you know each other and have consensually agreed to exchange verbal catcalls in public with each other, then it is permissible.

It may be "tacky" to outsiders, but it certainly is permissible.

Back before a friend of mine got married and moved away, we ran into each other at our FLGS on a regular basis. We had nicknames for each other, and some of them were not quite "catcalls", but certainly would raise an eyebrow for those around us. My favorite nickname for her was "bitches". But we knew each other, and we both mutually agreed it that it was okay behavior.

So remind me again where the problem is in this situation?

EDIT: Okay, never mind about that last questions, I read your answer. That seems reasonable as to why it wouldn't be appropriate. However, I am of the mindset that if you overhear a conversation between two other people, and you are not part or privy to that conversation other than by heresay, then too bad if you are offended by such conversation. That doesn't mean that saying "gay people are xxx" from one person to another within earshot to outsiders is acceptable - it's not. What is acceptable is if I call her "bitches" with her direct approval, if it offends others within earshot, I say "oh well". "Generalized" catcalls or other offensive language is NOT OKAY. Specific name calling as a means of jovial communication, no matter how offensive to others, is acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momiji Take-sumi
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
jmilum wrote:
This is actually pretty good!

Apparently it is good, if people are reading it literally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momiji Take-sumi
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Might interest some of you folks. whistle

http://www.playboy.com/articles/advisor-is-it-ever-okay-to-s...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Istanbul
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if I ever catcalled a woman. Its the human equivalent of a dog marking its territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
So, QUITE "becoming" a 'Lesbian' then, eh? blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
whac3 wrote:
The answer is always no.

No it isn't.

Why?

Because, like the box said, if you know each other and have consensually agreed to exchange verbal catcalls in public with each other, then it is permissible.

It may be "tacky" to outsiders, but it certainly is permissible.

Back before a friend of mine got married and moved away, we ran into each other at our FLGS on a regular basis. We had nicknames for each other, and some of them were not quite "catcalls", but certainly would raise an eyebrow for those around us. My favorite nickname for her was "bitches". But we knew each other, and we both mutually agreed it that it was okay behavior.

So remind me again where the problem is in this situation?

EDIT: Okay, never mind about that last questions, I read your answer. That seems reasonable as to why it wouldn't be appropriate. However, I am of the mindset that if you overhear a conversation between two other people, and you are not part or privy to that conversation other than by heresay, then too bad if you are offended by such conversation. That doesn't mean that saying "gay people are xxx" from one person to another within earshot to outsiders is acceptable - it's not. What is acceptable is if I call her "bitches" with her direct approval, if it offends others within earshot, I say "oh well". "Generalized" catcalls or other offensive language is NOT OKAY. Specific name calling as a means of jovial communication, no matter how offensive to others, is acceptable.

Aye.

Consider that a catcall isn't at a conversational term.

So, think about walking into the grand hall at BGGCON, seeing your girlfriend a few tables away and shouting, "YO! BITCHES!". She looks up and smiles-- the rest of the crowd thinks you called them bitches.

I think catcalling is still okay in some cultures but I think it's a pretty good indicator of male dominance and oppression in those cultures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momiji Take-sumi
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
maxo-texas wrote:
So, think about walking into the grand hall at BGGCON, seeing your girlfriend a few tables away and shouting, "YO! BITCHES!". She looks up and smiles-- the rest of the crowd thinks you called them bitches.

Flowchart?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
maxo-texas wrote:
red black wrote:
Flowchart?
wow GROGnads SEZ: "YO Bitches!" <------> meant for A-L-L-!<------>"umbrageboner": Yes, even the Women! \/kiss\
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Istanbul
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
red black wrote:
Flowchart?
wow GROGnads SEZ: "YO Bitches!" <------> meant for A-L-L-!<------>"umbrageboner": Yes, even the Women! \/kiss\

I'm pretty sure you would have had writing credits if you sat with Bowie and Eno at Hansa Studios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: Should you catcall her? MEOWS up to 11
whistle ~"Suffragette-SETTER Edge City!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
whac3 wrote:
The answer is always no.

No it isn't.

Why?

Some people like being urinated on, would you be OK for a random stranger to piss on you?

Would you be OK with seeing it in public?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
whac3 wrote:
The answer is always no.

No it isn't.

Why?

Some people like being urinated on, would you be OK for a random stranger to piss on you?

Yeah that seems fine.

I guess I'm ok with catcalling after all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
whac3 wrote:
The answer is always no.

No it isn't.

Why?

When the fuck does your game arrive?
Ask the person who sent it, or you could buy some slater free zone now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
whac3 wrote:
The answer is always no.

No it isn't.

Why?

But this isn't really a sound justification for not doing something. We can't constantly expect other people to adjust their behavior because we might find something they do offensive. So now the whole world is to become "our" safe place?

We don't like to hear catcalls - can't do that here.

We don't like the sound of high pitch laughter - sorry, you aren't allowed to laugh.

We don't like the smell or BO or farts or halitosis or strong perfume, deodorant, cologne - sorry, you can't stink in public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
whac3 wrote:
The answer is always no.

No it isn't.

Why?

But this isn't really a sound justification for not doing something. We can't constantly expect other people to adjust their behavior because we might find something they do offensive. So now the whole world is to become "our" safe place?

We don't like the sound of high pitch laughter - sorry, you aren't allowed to laugh.

We don't like the smell or BO or farts or halitosis or strong perfume, deodorant, cologne - sorry, you can't stink in public.
Want to eat here, wear a tie. want to drink here no work boots.

No swearing, no pissing in public (hell no pissing in certain rooms if you are the wrong sex), no begging no this no that no the other.

Society is full of rules about what is an is not allowed in public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
JohnnyOffice wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
whac3 wrote:
The answer is always no.

No it isn't.

Why?

Want to eat here, wear a tie. want to drink here no work boots.

No swearing, no pissing in public (hell no pissing in certain rooms if you are the wrong sex), no begging no this no that no the other.

Society is full of rules about what is an is not allowed in public.

Yes, those are called laws and enforceable through the justice system.

Trespassing covers your restaurant example. Cops will arrest you if the manager tell you to leave for not meeting the dress code/requested attire and you refuse.

Pissing in public is enforced via the law.

Swearing in public is actually a great example that reinforces my argument, so thank you for that. It happens all the fucking time (see, I just did it there). There's no legal mechanism to enforce here; no way for you to "make" me bow to your desire not to hear the shit that is coming out of my mouth.

Some are attempting to redefine what makes a society successful. If we go too far down this path, NO ONE WILL EVER BE ALLOWED OUTSIDE THEIR HOMES AGAIN! (and yes, I am yelling that)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.