Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Michaels
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this with a group of people who knew how to play the original. We played TLN only, with Improvements and Raxxon.

Maybe it was late and we were tired...but man, this fell flat.

We had the objective that we needed 2 tools per player, so we got to searching. The improvement character and Blue were in the game. The improvements were good, but not great...and we essentially got 1-2 for free with the character that helps with them. Searching for the needed tools was pretty easy.

At Raxxon, we couldn't understand the deal with the containment code. No one wanted to go there with Blue already there, and Blue's player didn't want to spend two dice to contain (then vote) when there was searching to be done. He found the Raxxon blueprints, and lots of gear started to come out. Yes, we were rolling for exposure, but we were getting efficient searching.

The super zombies escaped but they factored in zero. They only time they caused a problem is when someone had a grenade launcher and we assumed they couldn't die from that. No one fought a super zombie.

Crossroad triggers: ZERO!! We found that main asked for a certain survivor to be currently in game AND possibly something else. I'd say 75% of them were discarded immediately with a comment of "this can't happen". Maybe we got unlucky and missed the simple ones of search/survivor at colony or maybe they aren't in this expansion. What a waste.

We had a betrayer, but he slow-played too long. He was helpful, and also had a hard objective of 7 non-starter items in hand (i think 3 food, 2 gas, 2 something else). Tough. I needed 2 weapons, got 1 and ask the police search for one, and she gave one to me.

Anyway...it was a ho-hum type of game, and the improvements, barricade/trap issues (who decides if a placed zombie hits a regular barricade or trap???), Raxxon fiddliness...just not sure the modules actually make the game better. There is SO MUCH stuff on the table now. And also disappointed by the complete lack of crossroad triggers through more than a dozen chances. I purchased this mainly because of new characters, objectives and missions...but it's too expensive for that. Certainly, this is for veterans big fans of the game. I once recommended to purchase this over the original if you had nothing...but I am now thinking the opposite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try again with Bandits instead of Raxxon. IMO it's the better module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Your observations sound about right.

Visually and in theory the Raxxon module is very exciting. Unfortunately, it's not implemented quite right.

I'm curious to know of how many people find themselves in situations where they need to attack the special zombies. If occasional then great, if not at all then that's a lot of card text going to waste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sasha Dare
Australia
Eaglemont
VIC
flag msg tools
al_fredo wrote:
barricade/trap issues (who decides if a placed zombie hits a regular barricade or trap???),

Just an FYI (as I had to recently ask about this myself), the current player with the first player marker gets to decide whether the regular barricade or explosive trap is triggered.
The only source I could find for this was Rodney's Watch It Played review.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63FT-LXLun4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played again, different group...Improvements and Bandits.

We played the intro Bandit mission. MISTAKE. My friend got the betrayer objective which was have 2 gun cards in hand. That's it. No morale to zero. He was super helpful to the colony and even gave a gun away. So...that mission sucks.

BUT..while we didn't do anything with the improvements, the bandits seem like a much smoother module than Raxxon. I like that they clog up spaces and attract zombies...they are a pain. While we didn't do it, the exposed deck of items is also interesting. If you NEED a gun...well, there it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
al_fredo wrote:
We played the intro Bandit mission. MISTAKE. My friend got the betrayer objective which was have 2 gun cards in hand. That's it. No morale to zero. He was super helpful to the colony and even gave a gun away. So...that mission sucks.

But... he can't win until you refuse to banish him prior to the attack on the bandit hideout objective. It's almost impossible to have 2 guns in hand without suspicion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
al_fredo wrote:
My friend got the betrayer objective which was have 2 gun cards in hand. That's it. No morale to zero.

Are you sure that his Secret Objective card didn't say "Morale is 0" on it? I would be super surprised if there are Betrayer Secret Objective cards in TLN that don't have "Morale is 0" on the card. They all have that on the Betrayer cards in the base game. It's not much of a "betrayal" if you aren't required to bring the Morale to 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
al_fredo wrote:
My friend got the betrayer objective which was have 2 gun cards in hand. That's it. No morale to zero.

Are you sure that his Secret Objective card didn't say "Morale is 0" on it? I would be super surprised if there are Betrayer Secret Objective cards in TLN that don't have "Morale is 0" on the card. They all have that on the Betrayer cards in the base game. It's not much of a "betrayal" if you aren't required to bring the Morale to 0.

I don't think this is intentional. I believe during playtesting they all had the morale to 0 condition. It would be weird to change prior to release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
randomlife wrote:
al_fredo wrote:

I don't think this is intentional. I believe during playtesting they all had the morale to 0 condition. It would be weird to change prior to release.

I think they are mentioning the alternate win condition for Betrayer in the Bandit scenario, which does not necessitate Morale to be 0, but is IMO pretty much impossible to do without being a serious expert at the game and Hillary Clinton-level at lying your ass off without getting anyone to call you on it.

(Settle down Democrats. The only reason I'm not using Donald Trump is that, seriously? He's on the level of a 5 year old child telling you a giant came in and was responsible for the broken vase.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep...there is no morale to zero on this card. But it's the intro one, so don't use it.

3 player game, so like i said...we all had weapons, he even gave one away to me. He just happened to have two in his hand as well. So yes, he won AFTER the "assault" objective was complete (which was 3 survivors with weapons at the bandit hideout).

Myself, and the other non-betrayer didn't know this could happen, so we were caught completely flat-footed when he said...oh, I won!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does say in the Bandit Blitz setup on Page 22 of the rulebook, "This betrayal secret objective is unique; you may read it aloud before shuffling it in if you wish." So it sounds like it is a good idea to read it out loud so that everyone is aware of what the betrayer will be trying to do if there is one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.