Subject: Rejected Cards Available to Other Players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
I have not thought through the details, but just wanted to toss this out.

Wonder if the designer considered and rejected it.

The tension of 'dumping' a card instead of buying it would be so sweeeet if those cards were then available for other players to buy, from some type of 'pool of discarded cards.'

It would get unwieldy if every rejected card went in, however. And probably game-breaking. So perhaps there is a way to limit the number of cards that get to the pool.

Anyhow, just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chuckm1961 wrote:
I have not thought through the details, but just wanted to toss this out.

Wonder if the designer considered and rejected it.

The tension of 'dumping' a card instead of buying it would be so sweeeet if those cards were then available for other players to buy, from some type of 'pool of discarded cards.'

It would get unwieldy if every rejected card went in, however. And probably game-breaking. So perhaps there is a way to limit the number of cards that get to the pool.

Anyhow, just a thought.

...so that you would have to buy cards you don't want, just to keep them from getting to a pool where your opponents may fish them up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the way I was explaining the "randomness" and unicity of available project is saying that each project is a "call for tender" issued by the earth government and every corporation has a team of bidder trying to get the project. In order to avoid multiple project who could have inverse effects on the terraformation, only one company may work on the project

Now, if a company abandon the project, that another one could take it would seem normal,
- buying it for 4M€ instead of drawing a card at the beginning of the generation (they must spend a little bit more in PR to prove they will perform it), before taking cards from the project deck

- maybe at beginning of generation, a player may start an auction bidding on the card (where other players, even the one who originally rejected it, could auction)

- maybe, make them "temporary standard projects", a player may buy them for X+3M€ instead of building a project from its hand

That would have the nice effect of reducing the randomness by giving a choice between blind picking and more costly buying known projects.

Anyway, this is a really interesting variant IMHO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick P.
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckm1961 wrote:

There is a draft variant described at the end of the rulebook which you should check out - I think this should work out a lot like you described.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Collins
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll probably post it as a variant when I test it some more but the last game we decided to use this method during drawing and it didn't extend the playtime (like the one in the book).

The Research Phase happens as normal, execept, the cards that the players do not use are placed in a player's personal grave yard. A player may draw cards from any graveyard or the deck when the research phase happens. This gave me more consideration before discarding cards as i didn't want a player realizing i wasnt playing plant cards and then going into my graveyard to get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Greet
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rejected cards made available to other players strikes me as more realistic. Each card represents an engineer's idea that he's shown to be viable and he believes can contribute to the great Mars terraforming project. It's his chance to make a name for himself and get paid for it. If one corporation isn't interested, he'll present it to others in turn till he finds a sponsor.

The drafting variant can represent this. Except players can pick a card then not buy it to prevent another player getting it. This represents a corporation employing the engineer so he can't go elsewhere, suing anyone else who tries to copy it, then sitting on the idea. This is realistic except the world government won't be fond of viable ideas being sat on. Contracts would be granted to other bidders or future contract bids refused.

Rules for such government intervention would be too tedious and block a game play tactic, so we'll have to live with such lack of realism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.