Subject: October Update rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Sesta
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1926712971/the-7th-cont...

Painted mini's look really nice! Looks like the estimated delivery of May 2017 is the most likely scenario which I think we all anticipated. Would be great if they could get production in there before the Chinese New Year but everything running that perfectly just seems unattainable in the real world.

I also noticed int he production schedule that Bruno is looking at the Beta rulebook this month so hopefully that will get out to us all before long so we can have a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, the minis are better than I expected. That campfire is great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stanford
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Nice to see them giving both a best case, and realistic shipping schedules, even if the best case is late compared to their original estimate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
My rule of thumb is always add at least 6 months to the campaign's estimated delivery date; frequently is longer but it's not often much before that.

If you can live with that (which I & most backers can), KickStarter is for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamen Hristov
Bulgaria
Rousse
Rousse
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Eh, I really hoped for a Q1 2017 delivery, instead of a late Q2 one, but things are what they are.

I am not at all disappointed with this KS in particular, but rather with the overall fact that out of all the games I backed and that promised to deliver up to Autumn 2016, not a single one will be delivered before 2017 (and to add that with no exception they are all endangered by whatever the Chinese do for an entire month during CNY, which saddens me when I think that my own New Year's rest will last for only 2 days, and both of those fall in the weekend anyway), leaving me with nothing fresh to put on the table for more than half an year, besides Gloomhaven.

Next time I will know better than to put all my gaming funds towards KS

Then again, every now and then I look at the CMON recent fiasco, and I remind myself not to feel too disappointed, as things could be much worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koroniss wrote:
the CMON recent fiasco

care to develop? which KS are you talking about, and what was the problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamen Hristov
Bulgaria
Rousse
Rousse
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AlexFS wrote:
Koroniss wrote:
the CMON recent fiasco

The entire ordeal with the shipping of "The Others: 7 sins" to EU backers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The minis look excellent. After waiting 2+ years after the original delivery for Tokaido, a couple of months would be no big deal for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far all my Kickstarters have delivered within 0-3 months of the original estimated delivery month, except now Gloomhaven and The 7th Continent -- but both of these are huge projects and grew even more during the campaign, so the delay is not surprising. And I am not angry or disappointed about it, since in both cases it was communicated early on and the projects are updated regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Roberts
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received Roll Player a month early! Cracking game it is too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexFS wrote:
Koroniss wrote:
the CMON recent fiasco

The Others:7 Sins was set for a Q1 2016 delivery, but didn't get out the door until Q3 2016. No big deal...except for EU shipments. Whomever CMON was using for EU shipments apparently would not be able to accept the shipments in August, so shipping was delayed until September. This, unfortunately, was the same month that a major overseas shipping company, Hajin, declared bankruptcy. They are the 7th largest shipper and account for 10% of sea shipping.

CMON's EU shipments were spread out among 3 different ships, 2 of them being Hajin. With bankruptcy, cargo was trapped on these ships. The latest news is that the first ship has docked in Germany and are unloading cargo. The second ship (that was stuck at sea) is now on the move towards Germany. The third ship's cargo has been offloaded from a Hajin ship and they are waiting to get put on a different ship so they can go out.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
The Others:7 Sins was set for a Q1 2016 delivery, but didn't get out the door until Q3 2016. No big deal...except for EU shipments. Whomever CMON was using for EU shipments apparently would not be able to accept the shipments in August, so shipping was delayed until September. This, unfortunately, was the same month that a major overseas shipping company, Hajin, declared bankruptcy. They are the 7th largest shipper and account for 10% of sea shipping.

CMON's EU shipments were spread out among 3 different ships, 2 of them being Hajin. With bankruptcy, cargo was trapped on these ships. The latest news is that the first ship has docked in Germany and are unloading cargo. The second ship (that was stuck at sea) is now on the move towards Germany. The third ship's cargo has been offloaded from a Hajin ship and they are waiting to get put on a different ship so they can go out.

Jorune

This seems far, far short of a "fiasco".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamen Hristov
Bulgaria
Rousse
Rousse
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The fiasco refers not to the delay itself or the unfortunate events with the maritime company, but to
Spoiler (click to reveal)
CMON massive indifference and disinformation. Just follow their recent updates and you will see why many folks are angry and express their embitterment in the comments below. It's not pleasant to be told that your shipment is finally located on board of a certain vessel that's on route, albeit a couple of months later compared to those for the other regions, then a month later, when that same ship approaches its destination and you expect distribution to commence soon, you get notified the cargo is not actually on that vessel, but on another one, belonging to a different company. Plus, the new ship that carries your pledge is detained all the way back in Singapore, with the cargo awaiting to be transferred to yet another vessel and only then be sent ot its way, which could take a while, so no ETA could be given. And it doesn't help when other users report via the marine traficking sites that the "detained" ship in question has actually already set sail days before the update was even published. And nobody has any idea whether the EU pledges are still aboard, or had been unloaded prior that and are currently residing on some dock.

And this is just the latest update. Many people have jokingly started counting all the "ghost" ships that have been mentioned so far to transport the EU pledges in the past. As far as I recall, the original schedule from the summer mentioned that all EU pledges would be delivered as a single shipment, albeit delayed due to business in Germany closing during August. Since then, following updates have mentioned 5 or so different vessels, with pledges jumping from one to the other with every update, and even the ships themselves are being switched. As a result, no EU backer has any clue as to what to expect and when to expect it.
Now, it is quite understandable that CMON has little control over the situation and relies on their shipping partners, but in the same time it's their job to make sure that what info they relate is correct, and if needed - keep requesting a correct data from their partners. And when your several times delayed pledge, continuously reported to be aboard the APL Merlion, vanishes from the ship when it reaches the English channel and teleports to the thus far unheard of Hanjin Gold, detained in Asia due to the Hanjin troubles, still awaiting offloading and loading to another vessel with no ETA, you start to lose faith.

But all that has little connection to the topic at hand. We finally have a delivery date for this game and I am positive we will get it in May or June, depending on our luck during individual shipments' processing. Or, even in the unlikely scenario some force majeure occurs, we will all be adequately kept informed in a timely manner. SP's efforts at updating us have been outstanding during the entirety of their campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren T
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping for an earlier delivery ETA, but it is a big project so delays are understandable. My biggest issue with most KS delays is the lack of communications, like the example that Koroniss mentioned above -- that would have driven me bonkers. I'm happy with waiting until May as long as I know that Serious Poulp are on top of things, and by all accounts they are.

Plus, as time goes by, I forget about stuff in the campaign. Guys, do you know that we get ambience music with the game?? I totally forgot! Now I'm excited about it all over again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koroniss wrote:
AlexFS wrote:
Koroniss wrote:
the CMON recent fiasco

The entire ordeal with the shipping of "The Others: 7 sins" to EU backers.

That's better than many, many, other KS that didn't produce a single thing of value whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamen Hristov
Bulgaria
Rousse
Rousse
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:

That's better than many, many, other KS that didn't produce a single thing of value whatsoever.

I won't argue with that There is always a worse case scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So did I read the post wrong ? They made sound like the game won't be made outside of the ks ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
noahshu wrote:
So did I read the post wrong ? They made sound like the game won't be made outside of the ks ?

They never said conclusively that it wouldn't, but rather that they had no plans in place to do so. Considering how much it blew up on KS it would have been silly not to do another print run for retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
noahshu wrote:

They never said conclusively that it wouldn't, but rather that they had no plans in place to do so. Considering how much it blew up on KS it would have been silly not to do another print run for retail.

Indeed. It has never been said that the game would be at retail. Only that they would consider it after the campaign, which succeed would not imply that you could buy the game at retail.

Now they want to honour pledges before even considering a retail release.

If the reviews are good, I see no reason why 7th wouldn't hit the LGS shelves though. Unless they want to hype a collector, single run edition. But that would be weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it just makes me wish I ordered a few of the add on expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillis
Canada
Killam
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am lucky, they will kickstart expansions in the future and have access to the original non-exclusive stuff.

This game has to go retail, based on all the good press I have seen. I could wait for that or a potential kickstarter sequel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I sure hope they would do sequels, or spin-offs in alternate settings NOT made of tropes (like Cthulhu or zombies).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I sure hope they would do sequels, or spin-offs in alternate settings NOT made of tropes (like Cthulhu or zombies).

Ohh I'd like a sci-fi spin off called "The 9th Planet" where you go off explore that mysterious new planet in our solar system. That would be so many dreams come true. :>

But I'm super excited already that I'll get to explore that mysterious 7th continent sometime next year - if it really lives up to the hype, I could see this becoming a series of different adventures in various settings like ye olden choose your own adventure books some of us got to enjoy as children (I absolutely loved them!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
noahshu wrote:

Where are you seeing that they won't?

"We are focusing on the Kickstarter version"
"we still do not know whether, when and how"

The way I read this is that they want to reassure the backers that the delays are not a result of shifting resources toward planning or marketing a retail version. They aren't saying that they WON'T do so, but that they are pushing to get the KS campaign shipped first.

My guess is that once the game is finalized and sent to the publisher, thus freeing up the Serious Poulp staff, they will use that time to evaluate retail and (if the Magic 8-Ball agrees) start the retail effort. And my guess is that the Magic 8-Ball will say "Signs point to yes".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind the delay. They added a ton of extra content during the campaign, a lot of which didn't appear fully formed/tested/etc. So they are scrambling to develop what they promised.

Don't get me wrong--I much prefer a KS to have extra goodies. If I'm paying a year in advance, I'd like something for my trouble. And I do like this team. But I am concerned that some of the new tiles/mechanics won't be fully fleshed out and tested. I predict we are going to have a few dead-ends or oddball situations where the tiles don't work. I hope I'm wrong, but this is such a unique venture, I just can't see it all working as planned. But I will have my fingers crossed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.