Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer (BGG Blog) TheBrewingGamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After about 4 years in the hobby I have reached the 100 games owned plateau. Game #100 - I'm very proud to say - was Keyflower!

I want to operate on a strict one-in-one-out policy from now on - and try and hold my library at 100 titles.

Two questions for the group:
1) For those of you that own 100 games (and up) what was your 100th game purchased (if you remember...)

2) For those of you that have tried the 'one-in one-out' policy for your games library - did it work, and do you have any suggestions or strategies to help make it successful.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyf55 wrote:
After about 4 years in the hobby I have reached the 100 games owned plateau. Game #100 - I'm very proud to say - was Keyflower!

I want to operate on a strict one-in-one-out policy from now on - and try and hold my library at 100 titles.

1) For those of you that own 100 games (and up) what was your 100th game purchased (if you remember...)

2) For those of you that have tried the 'one-in one-out' policy for your games library - did it work, and do you have any suggestions or strategies to help make it successful.

Thanks!

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

laugh

Keyflower is a great game and a lovely 100th title. As for your questions:

1) I did not track it

2) I tried, and failed miserably. If you discover a magic secret to making it actually work please do share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Bono
Italy
Rivalta di Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyf55 wrote:

Thanks!

Welcome!!!!!

1) My 100th games are......... sorry i don't remember

2) Is not my policy sorry, my policy "One in, two in, three in" ouch "150 in" arrgh i don't have space!!!

By
Bruno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

(I had to open the thread to see if you were reaching 100 games from above or below. Both are accomplishments, but quite different.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Although I haven't tracked when I bought games, going by that 'Date Added' on my collection, it looks like Dixit was my 100th game. Or Garden Dice, depending on my counting!

2) I don't try to stick to a certain size collection. I just moved to a bigger house!

Edit: And congratulations! Keyflower is a great game. I hope it gives you plenty of enjoyment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hit 100 long before I was born.

Pete (is speaking as a BGG user account and not as the underlying human)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations. I did not track any milestone purchases (but #600 will be coming soon and I will be sure to bring it into my loving home with great fanfare).

I cannot get my arms around the "one in, one out" concept. My house has a game entrance, but there is no game exit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

I am very similar to you in that I've been in the (specifically board game) hobby about 3-4 years now, and just crossed the 100 game mark a few weeks ago. My 100th game purchase was Mansions of Madness 2nd Ed.

I have a hard time letting go of games, but do have to let some go and be more careful with purchases going forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

1- well I'm still kinda debating that as I have a number of games in my collection I don't really count like some of my 3m games are more kinda there as art, and some games I have strictly as for guests like my kids games for my nieces, so I still feel like I don't have 100 though I kinda do

2- I flip flop back and forth on trying to slim down and expand but I held a solid number for just over a year and I did so by making the "one in one out" "one out, one in" so you never get ahead of yourself. Its a little thing but it helped me. And during my times of slimming down my sold games were my only fund to buy more games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! That's a pile of fun there.

I tried to limit my games to the available space - but they have expanded beyond that, and somehow I got another shelf.
That said, before I go to an annual con I do revisit my games - is this game fun? Does it play solo? Will this game ever get played? - and try to sell as many as I can. Last time I sold a couple for about $100, bought a couple (very small) for about 10 bucks. I was ahead, till my Cardhaus order came in....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyf55 wrote:
After about 4 years in the hobby I have reached the 100 games owned plateau. Game #100 - I'm very proud to say - was Keyflower! Two questions for the group:

I'm 3 years in and am up over 50 game, but how do you count? Do you include expansions, small card games and print-n-play, or just bigger box base games? I'm having trouble with this question. What do you think?

I'm not sure if I'll get to 100 (right, I probably will... blush) but I want to be able to play my games, not just have them, so some limit seems reasonable. Why are you stopping at 100 and not 75 or 125 or some other number?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VolleyGame wrote:
I'm 3 years in and am up over 50 game, but how do you count? Do you include expansions, small card games and print-n-play, or just bigger box base games? I'm having trouble with this question. What do you think?

Yes. As in all of that, I count it all. After all, BGG awards you the collector microbadges for all of them so might as well count them! :-D

VolleyGame wrote:
I'm not sure if I'll get to 100 (right, I probably will... blush) but I want to be able to play my games, not just have them, so some limit seems reasonable. Why are you stopping at 100 and not 75 or 125 or some other number?

I'm a firm believer in playing games rather than just collecting them but that doesn't stop me from buying new games. However, it seems that people normally slow down after a few years; perhaps because they get more choosy or for other reasons, who knows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just over 100 right now. I am not including the games I have up for sale because they are leaving no matter what. I just started logging plays this year and I have close to 90 different games played at least once this year. I think you can easily play every game in 100 game collection at least once per year.

I do not remember what the 100th game was but I just bought Le Havre and we are in the middle of a game at the moment and can't wait to get off work and finish it.

I do feel like 100 is a pretty solid number and I am going to do my best at keeping my collection close to 100. Every time I want to sell a few to keep the number reasonable it gets more and more impossible because I am only left with what I believe to be the best of the best, at least for me and my family.

I have 17 unplayed games but I can almost guarantee they will all be played before the year is up. We love learning and playing new games and probably average 1-2 new games per week(played).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, and most of it already played

I have no idea what my hundredth was. I'm aiming to just stop buying games full stop after finishing up on current plans, as I feel I have so many I want to play and I'm past 100 and other stuff.

There are so many that I think, I really should play that some more! (or even just play it!)

100 was meant to be my aim but it's a bit over...

whistle

John (does not have as many games as Pete)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony (OP), I am curious what percentage of your games you've managed to play. I only have like 24 games, and there's about 25% unplayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
VolleyGame wrote:

100 is my goal, although based on the data, it really should be less. This is how many unique games and expansions I've played by year:

2015 43
2014 26
2013 39 <-- second child born
2012 51
2011 39 <-- first child born
2010 49
2009 42
2008 46 <-- got married
2007 103 <-- met my wife
2006 too many to count

That's an average of 40 during my married-with-child(ren) years.

I've tried selling on BGG. It's not that easy, even with what I consider heavily discounted prices. I'd have to start giving games away to get to 40.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No where close y'all to 100!

But congrats!cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jobby wrote:
VolleyGame wrote:

Yes. As in all of that, I count it all. After all, BGG awards you the collector microbadges for all of them so might as well count them! :-D

I personally don't like the clutter on my list of expansions, so I just list which expansions I have in the base game notes. When I say I have 100 games, that's base games and not including expansions. if other folks want to see it differently it doesn't bother me in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
VolleyGame wrote:

I count by whatever the "owned" line in my BGG games profile says. I like answers to be spoon-fed to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
4 years?

I did it in 9 months. Crap. Though I only own about ~35 right now. My "policy" is to not own a game that is too similar like something I already have. For example, Archipelago is the only worker placement game I'll own, unless I buy something I like better, then it's out with Archipelago. Cave Evil is my ameritrash fix. Etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really appreciate the responses from everyone! I just poked my head into the forum (still at work) - but when I get home tonight, I'll try and address everyone's questions.

One answer for now:

The 100 games I'm referring to are just base games - not counting expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
Tony (OP), I am curious what percentage of your games you've managed to play. I only have like 24 games, and there's about 25% unplayed.

Hi Chris - I've played all of my games to date except Space Alert and games I just purchased at a recent local Con. I would say that of my 100 games I've played 95% of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ed95005 wrote:
VolleyGame wrote:

100 is my goal, although based on the data, it really should be less. This is how many unique games and expansions I've played by year:

2015 43
2014 26
2013 39 <-- second child born
2012 51
2011 39 <-- first child born
2010 49
2009 42
2008 46 <-- got married
2007 103 <-- met my wife
2006 too many to count

That's an average of 40 during my married-with-child(ren) years.

I've tried selling on BGG. It's not that easy, even with what I consider heavily discounted prices. I'd have to start giving games away to get to 40.

Thanks for the response Ed. I just got married last summer (2015) and have a wife that really enjoys game as well - so we play a good number. I've also got a couple good gamer friends that are good at acquiring new games as well. It keeps things fresh - that's for sure.

That being said, I really do enjoy revisiting some of my favorites on my shelf. The goal of keeping things to 100 means that (1) reduce clutter, (2) ensure that games that are not hitting the table are traded/sold for games that do hit the table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyf55 wrote:
voodoochyl wrote:

Hi Chris - I've played all of my games to date except Space Alert and games I just purchased at a recent local Con. I would say that of my 100 games I've played 95% of them.

Wow! That's a lot of joy in that collection of yours...super cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! For your accomplishment. I do not personally remember what game number 100 was (you would think I would since it was about 7 months ago which is not too long ago) anyway well done my friend and I wish you good luck at keeping to a hundred. I have now gone over the 250 mark on my way to 300 before the end of the year in the hope of reaching the 500 mark next year. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.