Subject: Surrender rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am used to HIS. I've been looking at the rules of Virgin Queen and there was one rule which I noticed was missing, rules for surrender.

So I have two questions is there a surrender rule in VQ. And if there is not one how does this effect the game. It looks to me like everyone is going to stuck in endless war.

I know Spain and England cannot sign a peace. But I kind of liked the shifting alliances of HIS and short periods of peace. I felt it gave the game good flow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lindsay
United States
Soquel
California
flag msg tools
Lucius Domitius Aurelianus Augustus...Restitutor Orbis!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalek5 wrote:
I am used to HIS. I've been looking at the rules of Virgin Queen and there was one rule which I noticed was missing, rules for surrender.

So I have two questions is there a surrender rule in VQ. And if there is not one how does this effect the game. It looks to me like everyone is going to stuck in endless war.

I know Spain and England cannot sign a peace. But I kind of liked the shifting alliances of HIS and short periods of peace. I felt it gave the game good flow.

There is no rule or procedure for suing for peace. A White peace is still an option. I've played VQ about 15 times and the game flows quite well. You must use your diplomatic skills in negotiations to get the best deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Dalek5 wrote:
So I have two questions is there a surrender rule in VQ.

Page 2 of the scenario book:

"However players familiar with Here I Stand should note these very important changes to the diplomacy for Virgin Queen:
• Suing for peace is no longer possible [...]"

Dalek5 wrote:
And if there is not one how does this effect the game. It looks to me like everyone is going to stuck in endless war.

Mostly people complain about there not being enough war in VQ, since most powers have more efficient ways of gaining VP. And with generally fever turns per game than HIS, there's not much time to rebuild after losing a war in VQ anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the biggest difference is that you have to be willing to pay for peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for the overview.

I ordered this game and am very much looking forward to it.

It seems like they made the systems more interconnected than in HIS. One of my complaints was that HIS's reformation did not really affect anyone except the protestants and the Pope. And they added neat royal marriages to the system (other than the 6 wives of wild card Henry VIII).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Riskey
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a thriving VQ PBEM community for when you want to play. I enjoy the variability of VQ - no two game sessions have been alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepper Page
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
I like the no suing for peace in VQ. I think it is realistic. Realistically if a power doesn't want to go to peace they can't be made to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynn Carrington
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
In VQ the Religious Conversions system is really cleaned up. That was a big upgrade over HIS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
lcarrington1 wrote:
In VQ the Religious Conversions system is really cleaned up. That was a big upgrade over HIS.

Well, de gustibus. I find it more complex and time-consuming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lindsay
United States
Soquel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turbothy wrote:
lcarrington1 wrote:

Well, de gustibus. I find it more complex and time-consuming.

Interesting. I feel the opposite. In HiS, the roll-offs between the Protestant reformation attempts and Papacy counter reformation attempts can become fairly convoluted. In VQ, it's just one set of die rolls and all that matters is space adjacency.

I suppose it is a matter of taste though. Still, both are fantastic games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mb
BraxtonBragg wrote:
In HiS, the roll-offs between the Protestant reformation attempts and Papacy counter reformation attempts can become fairly convoluted.

Eh. You just count and roll, that's it. No actual intellectual activity necessary.

(As an aside, I've always been unsympathetic to the argument that it needed simplification because the other powers were waiting on the resolution of the religious stuff. The Pope and Luther spends a lot of time waiting on the resolution of irrelevant worldly matters such as war, but nobody ever argued that should be curtailed.)

BraxtonBragg wrote:
In VQ, it's just one set of die rolls and all that matters is space adjacency.

In VQ, the die roll is just the beginning of a whole lot of umm-ing and ah-ing. "Oh, great, I rolled two major and three minor conversions. If I expand base over here, I can leapfrog to ... no, wait, I could also flip this space with the Catholic unit in it. Hmm ... what is most advantageous?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lindsay
United States
Soquel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have very valid points. I just see it a little differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.