Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my copy yesterday and was very excited to open it up. I play-tested at GenCon and really enjoyed the game. I was a little disappointed in a few production items though:

* Several of the dice have 'extra' paint on them, most noticeably on the 1 pip side. Just looks like a sloppy application when the pips were painted. I tried scratching at it with my nail, but wasn't able to remove it. Not a huge problem, but disappointing nonetheless. Also the Pink/Purple dice look very similar to the Red. I think a darker Yellow would have been a better choice. Otherwise the dice look fantastic! I love the marbled look.

* I feel like the building tiles could have used some extra iconography to indicate how each building is resolved. I know the art is nice, but there's lots of 'empty' space that could have been put to better use. Also for some buildings it's not obvious how many tiles are available (i.e. Auction House, Treasure Hunters' Guild, Illuminati) unless you know and consult the rulebook. Obviously once you know the game that goes away, but these would be helpful reminders for players if it were printed on the tile.

* Sorry, but the insert is terrible. You tried, but failed miserably. The height is half the box, which I know means you put the leftover cardboard sprues under the insert to make it flush with the top. I tried that. But there's not enough room in the insert itself to hold all the components! Chucked it.

* The supplied bags are too small and too thick. A thinner bag the same size is more flexible and may have fit all of a particular component much more easily. I was able to squeeze them in without too much hassle, but it shouldn't be that hard. I ended up just using other bags from my stash.

* So they fixed the missing 'Gather the Excavators' tile mentioned here but made no mention that there shouldn't be two 'Congregate the Cartographers'. Unless you go through your the components breakdown you're quite likely to end up playing with an extra tile you shouldn't. A small slip of paper calling attention to that fact would go a long way to avoiding confusion.

* A round tracker would have been nice. I know there were some extra spots on the punchboards.
-----
In summary, just some small niggles, but perhaps for a reprint (if there is one) some things to consider. I think they would all help get the game going faster and/or work more smoothly. I look forward to playing it this weekend at gameday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Eisenstein
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Only one point:

"* A round tracker would have been nice. I know there were some extra spots on the punchboards."

In my translation into german language I added in the rules, that you can put a re-roll token aside every round.
You can also mark the round with one of the black dice, if you don't play with the Illuminati.

Greetings
Bernd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
I agree with you about the iconography on the buildings. And the insert. The shallow spot for the location boards doesn't fit all of them, and is a waste of space. The deep spot for what I assume are the map tiles isn't deep enough. The rest of the baggied components can't fit in the remaining spots.

I think there's no need for a round tracker. They could have simply instructed players to remove some map tiles during setup. See How to track the number of rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bueschel
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my copy and was going to post the same thing about the insert and bags. The thought was in the right place but I think the execution was not so good. funny even after I removed the insert and the empty punch boards there was still very little roomin the box.

Again I appreciate Grey Fox for even attempting to plus the game with the extras
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.