Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Cox
Canada
Airdrie
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last weekend at FallCon Calgarys' Premier Boardgame convention, we took 2 copies of the game and put them side by side, mirror image style. Radio techs in the middle, captains next, then first mates and finally engineers on either end. We played it so that when someone calls a stop, everyone stops all 4 subs. If sonar was activated, both opposing captains answered. The radio operators were listening to their opposing sub. The captains were conferring with each other before detonating or firing to make sure not to hit their team mate. If sub 1 found their sub but their partner was closer then the partner fired on their sub.

This game is my #1 favourite game after 1 play. Now after 16 plays and twice with 16 players, it is still my absolute favourite game. 16 player is so amazingly awesome.

The first game we played on the ice map (delta). When enemy sub surfaced without taking damage, our partner sub detonated mines and hit both enemies. Then we fired a torpedo and detonated our mine to finish them off.

The second game we were sunk first but had done 3 damage to the opposing sub. Our partner sub took them out shortly. Then it was 1 on 1. The opposing sub took a damage from stupidly moving in the same direction too much then my partner sub took him out with some well placed mines.

Here's an image of the setup at FallCon ( www.fallcon.com ). It was beyond amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Controlled Chaos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jones
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm crazy for solo games
badge
Image from Love by Eskil Steenberg
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks awesome!!!

Also, that's a lotta fedoras in that picture...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashish Nair
msg tools
I'm actually going to get a chance to try this tomorrow, would you mind clarifying any rules for 16 players please? I think I've understood what I can from your post, but wanted to make sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Canada
Airdrie
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it as a regular game. All the rules are the same, except there are 3 other subs, all are attackable but you don't want to hurt your partner so be careful when fireing off mines or torps, don't hit your friend. When you pause the game, everyone stops. Sonar tech should focus on just one sub, as per normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so sorry I missed FallCon this year after reading this. What a great idea.

I wonder if you could also play 4 individual subs (not 2 teams of 2 subs) if you put tables in a square pattern.

Team 1
Team 2 Team 3
Team 4

Each team would have 3 radio operators - one for each opposing sub.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Canada
Airdrie
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We thought of this option too but haven't tried it yet. Although we didn't think about doing 3 sonars.. I think it would be more chaotic if you kept it to one sonar operator. Let them try to listen to more than one sub or focus..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.