Subject: Artillery, Air Strike, Advance Fire. Which one first? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oscar Cameselle
Spain
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In case of two or three of these concur, how do you play the resolution order? The rules don't state it anywhere I can see, yet it can make a difference (targets moving around changing range, facing and/or terrain, getting smoked, etc.) Or could they conceivably be considered simultaneous?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All three are conducted before any units get to act - so the order shouldn't make a difference.

I tend to do artillery and air strikes first but only because those kills score points. whistle

When a unit is KO'd by advancing fire the rules suggest that the unit has (in fact) been forced to retreat rather than killed - so no points are scored.

Thematically I think its reasonable to do Advancing Fire last because friendlies wouldn't still be dropping bombs once the advance had begun. At least that's what I tell myself.

If you are not interested in the score then it doesn't make the blindest bit of difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Cameselle
Spain
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the lightning answer, Steve!
I'm thinking specifically on the smoke and target in woods modifiers. If Arty or Air Strike lays smoke on a target, later advance fire would suffer from a penalty. The same goes for a result getting LW, MG or AT guns into or out of the woods: subsequent attacks in the same 4.64 phase would have a modifier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would units move into or out of woods? They are being fired at - they aren't undergoing any movement.

Sorry - I'm just a bit confused by your interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Cameselle
Spain
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Oh, my! Somewhat I got confused between friendly and enemy action tables, the woods being a possible consequence of enemy movement. Shame on me.

The question about smoke stays nevertheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't got the tables in front of me but can't all three attacks result in smoke? But, yes, I think you are right. If one attack results in smoke then that will affect the next (at least in my opinion). If you considered all the attacks to be simultaneous then you could argue that would be incorrect.

Thematically perhaps the most plausible order is Air Strike, Artillery, Advance Fire? I can't see aircraft going in after the arty has shrouded everything in smoke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Re this thread's original question - the following has been taken from one of my previous post answers ( herein ) :

DEB8 wrote:
I believe this is done : a) Artillery support , b) Air Strikes , c) Advancing Fire. Whatever you do, Advancing Fire should be done last.

There is a logic that says : a) Air Strikes , b) Artillery support , c) Advancing Fire.

Your choice...

ReggieMcFly wrote:
Thematically I think its reasonable to do Advancing Fire last because friendlies wouldn't still be dropping bombs once the advance had begun.

This is correct - hence my answer above...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Cameselle
Spain
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sounds good. Sorry I didn't catch your previous answer buried at some thread (titles the like of "questions", "help" or "more questions" don't help either).
Many thanks, Edwin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magpie in the garden wrote:

Sorry I didn't catch your previous answer buried at some thread (titles the like of "questions", "help" or "more questions" don't help either).

For future reference ; you may be able to find some answers using the forums Search facility. That was how I retraced my previous answer.
I will admit though, that it helped some to know it was my post ( as a posters username is one of the criteria you can enter ).

[ NB : Unlike some other websites, a search on any particular forum here, is limited to that forum. It helps a lot... ]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.