Hide
13 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: New Campaign - Expansion Suggestions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Purple Octopus
msg tools
Hey guys. I've played a ton of KD, but inly ever with the base set. We're going to be starting up a new campaign, but we're not quite sure what expansions to chuck in.

I have everything but the Dragon King, Tree and Spidicules. Initial thoughts would be Gorm, Flower Knight and DBK, but I hear that the FK makes the game easier with some incredible gear (Vespertine Bow 4 lyfe). So... maybe the Manhunter too? I hear he's rough.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many campaigns have you played? What expansions have you used previously?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Octopus
msg tools
About 8? Usually with different groups. Our highest got to LY 14, but the members kind of fizzled out. ;_;

I've always gone base with whichever group I've played with so they get the most authentic experience - and there's tons of content in there, so it's fine.

Tldr; 8 campaigns, vanilla each time. So many Lions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've not finished a campaign before (even if they were due to fizzling out), the Flower Knight making things easier isn't a huge issue IMO. Really, all the Knight does is give you the best bow in the game for a bargain price and gives you an extra life or two for your favourite person. Due to the fact that flowers rot quickly you can't productively focus on hunting the FK (but the addiction mechanic might try to trap you...)

I'd say go for a big change. People of the Bloom with an extra quarry or a nemesis, maybe, or People of the Sun.

As you've hunted endless lions, add the Gorm to whatever you go for, just for variety. It also scales well and had great gear.

Nemesis-wise, I'd say go Slenderman or Manhunter as they both change the campaign in a big way and while both are nasty they also offer pretty sweet rewards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Octopus
msg tools
Thanks! I think not worrying about potential imbalances before trying it out might be crazy on my part. Gorm, FK, and Manhunter definitely.

Any thoughts on the DBK? Would a 4th be too much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Octopus
msg tools
I love the theme and implementation of Slender, but I also hear he's a goddamn ninja. What a cheeky bitch.

I hadn't thought about the Sunstalker, but maybe... that could be fun to have in there too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to chime in here:

Gorm is recommended like everyone else has said. Just adds so much and lets you switch from the WL (Antelope IS viable but has frustrating hunts).

DBK is tons of fun. Hard show down but is great and fun.

The 2 most unique quarry showdowns IMO are Flower Knight and Sunstalker. Both offer unique fights that are unlike any other monster with authentic mechanics. They're also just fun to hunt and offer some sweet gear and fighting arts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Styfen wrote:

Flower Knight only needs to be hunted once normally. Makes the game easier. Recommended.

Is there enough chance to get the bow resources in one hunt against him? We didn't think so, at level 1 anyway. Would you say it is better to build a bit more and go straight to level 2?

Definitely add gorm if you are sick of fighting lions. The gorm stuff is really good but it takes a fair while of farming to get his full set so you will pretty much spend the first ~5-7 turns or so fighting gorm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I got the bow in one hunt of level 2,but I think with the right luck it's possible on level 1.

On the flower knight I would suggest hunting him a bit more , his resources and the satchel are really good and useful, don't overlook this it can turn the game around. Besides that the showdown is fun ,level 3 fight it's doable but oh so fun and cool !

I liked it so much that I'm working on a "legendary " flower knight using some other cards from the core games, will post it someday on variants to see what you guys think !

In short, hunt more flower knight

Ps. If u have high luck the knight is a resource farm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
One thing: start with at most two expacs. The trouble with adding 3 expacs is that you run into a decision problem when it comes to aiming for gear. It's not too bad if you do Gorm and Flower Knight, but at the LY 8 hunts it definitely becomes harder to nail down armor and gear unless you jump into level 2 and 3 hunts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strewart wrote:
Styfen wrote:

Flower Knight only needs to be hunted once normally. Makes the game easier. Recommended.

Is there enough chance to get the bow resources in one hunt against him? We didn't think so, at level 1 anyway. Would you say it is better to build a bit more and go straight to level 2?

Definitely add gorm if you are sick of fighting lions. The gorm stuff is really good but it takes a fair while of farming to get his full set so you will pretty much spend the first ~5-7 turns or so fighting gorm.

Honestly I feel like the FK should be hunted 3 or so times. I don't agree it should only be hunted once. For a few reasons:

1. You'll want other gear from the FK. More than you can craft from one hunt.
1A. One great drop from the FK is a bloom that allows you to get +1 pop. Thats nice if you are desperate for people.
2. Its just a fun fight. I definitely fought it more than once and enjoyed every second of it. Its different and the Fae ring adds some nice color to the board.

FK is definitely one of the best value expansions, best models, and most flavorful. On the top of my list next to Sunstalker for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Epidemius wrote:
strewart wrote:
Styfen wrote:

Honestly I feel like the FK should be hunted 3 or so times. I don't agree it should only be hunted once. For a few reasons:

1. You'll want other gear from the FK. More than you can craft from one hunt.
1A. One great drop from the FK is a bloom that allows you to get +1 pop. Thats nice if you are desperate for people.
2. Its just a fun fight. I definitely fought it more than once and enjoyed every second of it. Its different and the Fae ring adds some nice color to the board.

FK is definitely one of the best value expansions, best models, and most flavorful. On the top of my list next to Sunstalker for sure.

I mostly agree that I loved the feel and uniqueness of the fight, however, we only really saw big value in the bow not the other gear. Some of the resources do have cool effects like the one you mentioned, but fighting the Flower Knight comes at a cost of not building towards an armour set which we are always short on. I definitely would plan to fight him again later in the campaign when we are better equipped because he is great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.