Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Huntley
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the game so far! Unfortunately there are some arguments my group have been having regarding tile placement.

1. One individual is arguing that you can place tiles on any step during their turn without abiding by the rules for placing tiles. To me, the rules specify that they must place crystals first on their turn (Which includes the omen power, don't recall off the top of my head.) A clarification would be nice.

2. Is there anything keeping the Cave from making a "snake" off to the side of the playing board? I could have easily missed something in the rules but it seems like it would be something the cave should always do. To me, whenever the cave started doing that the other players would have to go and start revealing tiles around it if they could.

Thanks! I hope I'm just overlooking some really simple rules. Edit: Doing this on a phone is a pain..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tenburo wrote:
1. One individual is arguing that you can place tiles on any step during their turn without abiding by the rules for placing tiles. To me, the rules specify that they must place crystals first on their turn (Which includes the omen power, don't recall off the top of my head.) A clarification would be nice.
Placing a tile with an Omen follows the same rules as placing a tile during the Shape the Cave phase.

If the Cave player has any Crystal tiles in their hand, those must be placed during their own turn before non-crystal tiles can be placed, whether it happens due to Shape, Hatred, or even Crystal Curse(rotating tiles).

The crystal tile placement requirement is lifted only when placing tiles during another player's turn to fill opened edges.

Quote:
2. Is there anything keeping the Cave from making a "snake" off to the side of the playing board? I could have easily missed something in the rules but it seems like it would be something the cave should always do. To me, whenever the cave started doing that the other players would have to go and start revealing tiles around it if they could.
Placing tiles in a single line or "snake" is perfectly valid, and is a good way to get other players to reveal those tiles for you (which prompts placement of even more tiles around them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Huntley
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, that'll solve that particular dispute.

Kudos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
Placing tiles in a single line or "snake" is perfectly valid, and is a good way to get other players to reveal those tiles for you (which prompts placement of even more tiles around them).

The main downside to a "snake" is that if players don't take the bate, it can limit the size of the main cave and force players together (making it much easier for the Goblins to kill the Knight or Knight to kill the Dragon).

So it can be situational...if players are taking their sweet time, a snake lets you put all the Crystal tiles where they'll be easy to collapse later...if they're playing aggressively, tiles are better placed to hinder the strong and assist the weak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

On the Cave's turn:
The Cave has to place Crystals first regardless of how they are placed during the Cave's turn. Even if purchased with Hatred or from spinning a Tile with Crystal Curse.

There are no rules preventing a snake. Its a terrible idea but no rules preventing it.

The Tiles in the snake would have to be removed first.
If you see a snake forming and you think the Cave is putting Crystals into it, by exploring it you make sure it will be difficult to remove at the end game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:
The Tiles in the snake would have to be removed first.
If you see a snake forming and you think the Cave is putting Crystals into it, by exploring it you make sure it will be difficult to remove at the end game.

It's more fun to put lots of single tiles on different sides of the map (away from where the other players are currently playing).

Or if you have a roughly circular map, there are lots of corners (which get to be removed right after any singles). I've played once where I had 6 Crystals as corners on the map at the end of the game (granted, the players mainly ventured in one direction).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:

On the Cave's turn:
The Cave has to place Crystals first regardless of how they are placed during the Cave's turn. Even if purchased with Hatred or from spinning a Tile with Crystal Curse.

OH MY - I totally thought it was only for the mandtory one tile placement that this applied ?

So you can only place non-crystal tiles when you have crystal tiles in your hand during OTHER players turns ? E.g. knight explores, Dragon flames, Goblins cave in a tile ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.