Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that in Orleans and Myrmes, you can/must give up workers to gain certain points or benefits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perrianne Lurie
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Village, your workers die, but they can have babies, too (before they die, of course). So the total number of workers you have at any point in time may be higher or lower than in the previous round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In The Pursuit of Happiness your "workers" are hourglass tokens, representing the amount of available time you have to do things in your "life". As you age, if you take on more responsible jobs and deeper relationships, those things demand more time, thus leaving you less free time (fewer worker tokens) to pursue other activities. The mechanism works pretty well at conveying the theme of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
FEWER
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
plurie wrote:
In Village, your workers die, but they can have babies, too (before they die, of course). So the total number of workers you have at any point in time may be higher or lower than in the previous round.

The workers do NOT die. your family are NOT workers. The closest thing to workers in Village are the cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Massey
Wales
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'FEWER' shake

In The Pursuit of Happiness your workers get tied up doing things so you don't have as many left to place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Keyflower you lose workers over time by placing them in other players' tiles or on tiles which other players win. Of course, this is mitigated by getting a fresh influx of new workers, but certainly, your total worker count can go down as well as up throughout the course of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadwood - Not sure about this, but I think I remember worker could be killed in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try Deadwood and The pursuit of happiness.
I was thinking about "permanent" loss of workers, so maybe Keyflower and Manhattan Project are out.

And thanks for the grammar corrections
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kajo wrote:
I'll try Deadwood and The pursuit of happiness.
I was thinking about "permanent" loss of workers, so maybe Keyflower and Manhattan Project are out.

Keyflower also is not a WP game in the first place. It's primarily an auction game if anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
plurie wrote:

The workers do NOT die. your family are NOT workers. The closest thing to workers in Village are the cubes.

Hmmm . . . a family member who gets trained in a craft and then spends the rest of the game in a craft building producing wagons, plows, etc., sure sounds like a worker to me. I'll wager that the craft union would have something to say about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Winnowski
United States
Upper St Clair
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Tzolkin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Here's a thread that I started a few months ago on this very same subject.

Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I just remembered Praetor (which I haven't played in a long time). Your workers are small dice and they get older (you turn them to higher numbers) and eventually retire (or maybe they die, I can't remember . . . can a die die?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kraftwagen, kind of

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dannyduck wrote:
Tzolkin

I always start with 3 workers and never finish with less than 3.

There is no way in the game to get rid of your workers.

Have you played Tzolkin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
In Keyflower you lose workers over time by placing them in other players' tiles or on tiles which other players win. Of course, this is mitigated by getting a fresh influx of new workers, but certainly, your total worker count can go down as well as up throughout the course of a game.

I often end this game with fewer workers than when I start.
I am starting to wonder if that's why I keep getting my buttocks kicked.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Five Tribes although more of a worker displacement game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
Here's a thread that I started a few months ago on this very same subject.

Enjoy.

Oooh nice.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A worker placement twist I'd like to see is that first move always goes to the player who has the fewest workers. The rationale could be that this player has a leaner operation that can move quicker. The players would need to decide if they want more actions or earlier ones.

In too many WP games, it's always better to have more workers. Even if there's a cost involved with them, the cost is usually more than made up for by the advantage in numbers. This many WP games have scripted turns in which there's no reason not to get more workers if you can. A fairly recent one I won't name simply started with everyone grabbing as many workers as they could until they ran out and then seeing the expected results happen from there.

This first move/more workers choice is well illustrated in Lords of Waterdeep. The option to get an extra worker is presented as desirable (the quest that awards it is expensive and returns zero VPs) but almost no one takes it because by the time you use that extra worker, the good places are gone. However, getting FIRST move can be huge.

I haven't seen any games capitalize on that, and I think it could be interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.