Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there are many expansions that mention you can use Italy tiles on them.
my question: would you say it is legal to have a town with 6 exits when you are using those tiles? would change the game quite a bit, wouldn't it :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would certainly make urbanisation a more interesting option for opposing players.

I can't see it being a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
bazik123 wrote:
there are many expansions that mention you can use Italy tiles on them.

I think I'm the only one to explicitly allow using the Italy tiles on maps. At least I've not seen another designer mention them for their maps.

Quote:
my question: would you say it is legal to have a town with 6 exits when you are using those tiles? would change the game quite a bit, wouldn't it -)

Absolutely. That's why I allow them. Their use as simple complex tiles is minimal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am almost sure I've seen this mention somewhere else as well. Ohio maybe? I'll check.

EDIT: I've checked. I can't find it mentioned anywhere else. thanks for the answer :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Italy tiles make for more track building possibilities, and can make certain areas of the board more easily accessible.

I have experimented using them in my own design work, and have personally not cared for how they affect track building. I think they work well in Italy because the map is so thin that having more ways to get through a given area can be vital. I think most of the more rectangular boards that are released are probably better off without them though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
CortexBomb wrote:
I have experimented using them in my own design work, and have personally not cared for how they affect track building. I think they work well in Italy because the map is so thin that having more ways to get through a given area can be vital. I think most of the more rectangular boards that are released are probably better off without them though.

Sooth.

We should recognise that there are two distinct sets of tiles in the Italy tiles: 3 track tiles and 2 track tiles that are missing from the base set. The 2-track tiles are an obvious and cheap add-on to almost any map with minimal negative or positive effect. The 3-track tiles are another story.

They're tempting for AoS:Sun but in practice are extremely difficult to use there due to the track building constraints. With AoS:London they'll sometimes (rarely) pop into play, usually immediately south west or north west of Central London, but again that's very rare. As for being urbanisation targets: the other rules in both maps make that usually unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CortexBomb wrote:
I think they work well in Italy because the map is so thin that having more ways to get through a given area can be vital.

You bet! If you are mapping out a long, thin nation like Italy, where it is only 4 hexes wide in critical spots, the Complete tiles are important for 5 and 6 player games. I was a year into the Italy map and just about ready to give it up when they occurred to me. I wouldn't use them in broad settings, though, and they don't solve the problem in very narrow maps like Chile.

John
Pittsburgh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.