Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Poll about debate moderators and mic-cutting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Indicate your level of agreement with the following statement:
"I would prefer that debate moderators could cut off the microphones of debating candidates if (and only if) they broke a stated rule of the debate."
Strongly Agree
Agree
Slightly Agree
Slightly Disagree
Disagree
Strongly Disagree
      62 answers
Poll created by Terwox


No gotcha planned, but the poll is presented without comment to avoid influencing results.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since people won't respect the rules, it's better to enforce them all the time.

the moderator asks you a question...
Your light and mic comes on. At t-30s, you get a countdown. At T-0, your light and your mic goes off.

You can't go over and you can't interrupt.

That's the clean hard edge.

Pivoting is softer and harder to enforce but I think the Trump campaign has pushed pivoting so hard that they may have broken it. So a 7 second delay would be needed to have time to realize you asked about the 2nd amendment and they are talking about their opponent's illegitimate child again.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Why do we need moderators?



Because then it's just two people rambling off on each other without focus or direction, or worse multiple people doing the same.

Imagine the GOP 17 candidste spread without a moderator, then laugh.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny O aka Johnny Soul
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Harvester of eyes, that's me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see what maxo-texas has proposed in one presidential debate.
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm a bit torn. It's annoying when they interrupt, but it also shows you how rude they are. And how defensive Trump got when repeatedly hit with truth bombs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of one guy talking at a time enforced by disabled mics, but there's no need to do anything about pivots. It's their time, if they don't want to address the question, so be it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, moderators shouldn't be able to cut off mics. In political debates, ownership of the time can be just as important as the content of what you're saying. If your opponent allows you to own the time, then that's the sign of a weak candidate.

Moderators should, however, control the debate and enforce the format. They should not allow one candidate to take the time of the other with interruptions. They shouldn't allow one candidate to take all the time with their first answer.

Particularly regarding Trump: had he had his mic cutoff, he would not have been able to self-inflict quite as much damage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:


We're also talking about moderators who are fully committed to getting Democrats elected. .



Now we aren't talking about anything but the dancing clowns in your head.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
Avatar
mb
maxo-texas wrote:
Since people won't respect the rules, it's better to enforce them all the time.

the moderator asks you a question...
Your light and mic comes on. At t-30s, you get a countdown. At T-0, your light and your mic goes off.

You can't go over and you can't interrupt.

That's the clean hard edge.
... which you'll never get because this whole debate series is a charade bought & paid for by reps from both major parties and their stooges. It's like asking your boss to install surveillance software on his laptop in order to track all of his internet usage at work. Or forcing congress to have the same healthcare for themselves that the rest of us have. Or making a law that congress puts their sons & daughters at the front of the line the next time we decide to invade a foreign nation. Or asking the guy from Wells-Fargo to give up the massive bonus he got when his employees opened thousands of fake accounts.

It all sounds wonderful on paper, and the system is rigged so nothing remotely close ever happens.
2 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
We're also talking about moderators who are fully committed to getting Democrats elected...




This fucking guy.
11 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilthuain wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
We're also talking about moderators who are fully committed to getting Democrats elected...




This fucking guy.


fun fact: last night's moderator literally got anti-deficit hawks to write her questions on the deficit and Social Security for her, but sure, she's in the tank for Democrats I guess
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Why do we need moderators?


If we had quality candidates who could speak to each with respect about their different opinions in how the country should be run and who brings more to the table as a leader, we wouldn't.

But we don't elect quality leaders. We elect the most charismatic leaders.

And as we've apparently run out of charismatic people, we now simply elect the loudest.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
No, moderators shouldn't be able to cut off mics. In political debates, ownership of the time can be just as important as the content of what you're saying. If your opponent allows you to own the time, then that's the sign of a weak candidate.


That's interesting. I don't think I agree with you, but it is a reason. Thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
And what become of her new straw hat that should have come to me?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
JohnnyOffice wrote:
No, moderators shouldn't be able to cut off mics. In political debates, ownership of the time can be just as important as the content of what you're saying. If your opponent allows you to own the time, then that's the sign of a weak candidate.


That's interesting. I don't think I agree with you, but it is a reason. Thanks.
It's interesting that you don't think you agree with him. I know for certain that I disagree. In fact, I see over-talking, interrupting and other poor conversation skills as the weakness; a compensation, as it were, for a lack of strength in other areas.

So perhaps it is because we have different definitions of weakness why moderators are useful? (Disclaimer: I voted 'yay' for power to cut off mics in this poll which doesn't specify the terms under which said power should be exercised.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
No, moderators shouldn't be able to cut off mics. In political debates, ownership of the time can be just as important as the content of what you're saying. If your opponent allows you to own the time, then that's the sign of a weak candidate.

Moderators should, however, control the debate and enforce the format. They should not allow one candidate to take the time of the other with interruptions. They shouldn't allow one candidate to take all the time with their first answer.

Particularly regarding Trump: had he had his mic cutoff, he would not have been able to self-inflict quite as much damage.


Perhaps half the debate with hard enforcement and then a free format half without.

Debates depend on a minimum level of civility and good will by the participants to be useful. Let me give you a worst case example: The moderator asks a question which the 1st candidate begins to answer and the 2nd candidate begins talking about their own topic and the moderator is saying for the 2nd candidate to stop but they don't. You have 3 people talking- you can't tell a damn thing anyone is saying.

Shame, public opinion, and basic good manners used to restrain bad behavior. Consider the Kennedy vs Nixon debate. It's very different.


(having an enforced time limit with mic cuton / cutoff means you own your time and the other debate participants can't steal it from you with chicanery.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
h00sha wrote:
Terwox wrote:
JohnnyOffice wrote:
No, moderators shouldn't be able to cut off mics. In political debates, ownership of the time can be just as important as the content of what you're saying. If your opponent allows you to own the time, then that's the sign of a weak candidate.


That's interesting. I don't think I agree with you, but it is a reason. Thanks.
It's interesting that you don't think you agree with him. I know for certain that I disagree. In fact, I see over-talking, interrupting and other poor conversation skills as the weakness; a compensation, as it were, for a lack of strength in other areas.

Way to put words in my mouth. I specifically said that moderators shouldn't allow interruptions. My argument was about owning the time or speaking longer than your opponent not about "over-talking, interrupting and other poor conversation skills."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think an easier fix is to just add moderators. One on two obviously doesn't work. I'm looking forward to Sunday's debate, which will be more of a fair fight, especially since audience members will be asking questions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
JohnnyOffice wrote:
No, moderators shouldn't be able to cut off mics. In political debates, ownership of the time can be just as important as the content of what you're saying. If your opponent allows you to own the time, then that's the sign of a weak candidate.

Moderators should, however, control the debate and enforce the format. They should not allow one candidate to take the time of the other with interruptions. They shouldn't allow one candidate to take all the time with their first answer.

Particularly regarding Trump: had he had his mic cutoff, he would not have been able to self-inflict quite as much damage.


Debates depend on civility and good will by the participants to be useful. Let me give you a worst case example: The moderator asks a question which the 1st candidate begins to answer and the 2nd candidate begins talking about their own topic and the moderator is saying for the 2nd candidate to stop but they don't. You have 3 people talking- you can't tell a damn thing anyone is saying.

Good example. Turning off the mic of the 2nd candidate would have 2 notable effects (that I can think of now off the top of my head, there are probably more):
1. It probably wouldn't stop candidate 2 from interrupting anyway and only force them to talk louder without a live mic and allow them later to complain about broken or sabotaged mics,
2. We wouldn't know that the 2nd candidate was an interrupting, over-talking blowhard with poor conversation skills and inflicting damage to themselves.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
JohnnyOffice wrote:
No, moderators shouldn't be able to cut off mics. In political debates, ownership of the time can be just as important as the content of what you're saying. If your opponent allows you to own the time, then that's the sign of a weak candidate.

Moderators should, however, control the debate and enforce the format. They should not allow one candidate to take the time of the other with interruptions. They shouldn't allow one candidate to take all the time with their first answer.

Particularly regarding Trump: had he had his mic cutoff, he would not have been able to self-inflict quite as much damage.


Debates depend on civility and good will by the participants to be useful. Let me give you a worst case example: The moderator asks a question which the 1st candidate begins to answer and the 2nd candidate begins talking about their own topic and the moderator is saying for the 2nd candidate to stop but they don't. You have 3 people talking- you can't tell a damn thing anyone is saying.

Good example. Turning off the mic of the 2nd candidate would have 2 notable effects (that I can think of now off the top of my head, there are probably more):
1. It probably wouldn't stop candidate 2 from interrupting anyway and only force them to talk louder without a live mic and allow them later to complain about broken or sabotaged mics,
2. We wouldn't know that the 2nd candidate was an interrupting, over-talking blowhard with poor conversation skills and inflicting damage to themselves.


Yes but we would hear the 1st persons point in response to the question.

Debates used to use lights to indicate your time (this one probably did to) and candidates used to respect the time limits. Mostly because they'd had some debate training and knew what a debate was.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chopkins828 wrote:
I think an easier fix is to just add moderators. One on two obviously doesn't work. I'm looking forward to Sunday's debate, which will be more of a fair fight, especially since audience members will be asking questions.


I think the moderators should have a water gun. And as soon as the candidate starts interrupting, they shoot the candidate in the face and say "NO! NO!"
13 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
1] It's a good idea to have half enforced and half not enforced rules about interrupting. Let the people see how the candidates behave when there are no mechanisms to enforce the rules, then let both have their say without interruptions.

2] This could also be done by having different rules the in different debates. Not true for the Vice-Presidential debate.

3] As gamers we should be able to see how this rule would help.
. . As soon as an interruption starts the moderator pushes and holds a button down until the interruption ends. This gives the other candidate X number of seconds of additional time or twice the time the button stays down [whichever is more]. Here, X might be 10 sec.
. . The time could be added at the end of that question.
. . Or, the time could be added together [less any such time the other candidate got] and used at the end of the debate [with the other mic turned off] by the candidate with the most extra time.
. . So, every time you interrupt, you are giving more time to your opponent. And giving them the last word.

4] It is possible to use mics that don't pickup background noise (throat mics?), so when your mic is off, even shouting doesn't go out over the air.
. . Each candidate might have 2 mics, so even if one fails the other will still be working. The candidates could have their own sound engineer to make sure the volume on their mic is right, but with the final say by a neutral sound engineer.

5]Macro, should the water gun have colored water in it so the viewers can see it on his/her face?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just give the moderator an over-sized water pistol, like a super-soker but with the force of a firehose. Any infractions and the candidate gets squirted. I'd add any departure from facts but they'd need special equipment.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea, but I'd give them a little more flexibility. Each candidate should have an override button, with, say, 2 minutes of juice in it. I think they would think twice about using it to interrupt the other candidate or blather on about something pointless. They'd save it for when they had an intelligent thought to interject. And if not, they squander it away and go the rest of the debate without it. Everybody wins.
1 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Why do we need moderators?



A couple shivs and a folding chair.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
h00sha wrote:
Terwox wrote:
JohnnyOffice wrote:
No, moderators shouldn't be able to cut off mics. In political debates, ownership of the time can be just as important as the content of what you're saying. If your opponent allows you to own the time, then that's the sign of a weak candidate.


That's interesting. I don't think I agree with you, but it is a reason. Thanks.
It's interesting that you don't think you agree with him. I know for certain that I disagree. In fact, I see over-talking, interrupting and other poor conversation skills as the weakness; a compensation, as it were, for a lack of strength in other areas.

So perhaps it is because we have different definitions of weakness why moderators are useful? (Disclaimer: I voted 'yay' for power to cut off mics in this poll which doesn't specify the terms under which said power should be exercised.)


I'm not sure -- in some regard, you do kind of want someone who can bull over people conversationally.

It doesn't have to be the lame way to spam interrupting, but... yeah. There's something to be said for being able to talk over someone, and some part of that is probably a useful quality for some leadership styles.

I'd prefer a leader who wasn't that, but, well..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.