Subject: Blue Card Actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Brown
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
In the section where the requirements for playing a card are explained, it says you must meet the requirements and effects. (in bold). Does that mean you don't have to be able to carry out a blue card's red arrow action?

And if you only carry out the effects, what about any effects on the top of a blue card? I'm not that familiar with the cards yet, but I'm thinking those would only affect things in the future.

And then thinking about that leads me to further interpret that to mean that when you play a card you only get the effects. The action on a blue card is a separate action. Is this true?

Before reading this more carefully, I thought that the blue card action meant in subsequent rounds, but when you played it you got to use it once. Now I'm thinking this is not true.

Clarification, please.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, you don't have to be able to perform the action on the card when you play it. Maybe you can perform it next generation, or the one after that one. The action on the card is not mandatory to do, but you can only perform it once per generation, and when you do, you mark it used by placing a player cube on the card. When you perform the production phase, you also remove player cubes from the blue cards enables them for use next generation again.

effects on blue cards are always available, several times a generation when the condition is met. but as you say, it's only for what happens after the card is played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play a blue card, you must pay its cost, meet its requirements, and carry out any immediate effects (on the lower portion of the card). Note that immediate effects that target "any player"'s resources are optional.

Then in a future action you may put your player cube on that card to carry out its action. This may be done only once per generation. There is no obligation to use the action right away, or even to be able to use the action at all.

If the card offers an ongoing effect, then that is immediately in force.

EDIT: Forgot that "effect" has a specific in-game meaning; revised my post accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brown
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
So, yes, as I suspected, the action of playing a card does not allow you to use a blue card action. That would be a separate action.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Roguester wrote:
So, yes, as I suspected, the action of playing a card does not allow you to use a blue card action. That would be a separate action.

Correct, but since you can perform up to 2 actions per turn, you could play a blue card as your 1st action and immediately use its action as your 2nd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
If a blue card has 2 actions on it, may you use each one once per generation, or does the limitation of once/generation apply to the whole card? I know the rules specifically say each card may only be used once, but the iconography is basically the same as on player boards (a red arrow) and those can be used more than once so I thought I'd confirm my understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
If a blue card has 2 actions on it, may you use each one once per generation, or does the limitation of once/generation apply to the whole card?

1 action per (blue) card per generation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Flanagan
United States
Santa Cruz
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played our first game and one question we were wondering about is, can another player use your action cards during a generation, if the action on a blue card has not been played yet that generation?? Is it mentioned in the rules or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theflan045 wrote:
We just played our first game and one question we were wondering about is, can another player use your action cards during a generation, if the action on a blue card has not been played yet that generation?? Is it mentioned in the rules or not?

Agreed with the post below. I misread your question, thinking you were asking about your own cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theflan045 wrote:

Definitely not! However, I don't think it is ever explicitly stated in the rules. But it just doesn't make sense! That would suggest that the ongoing effects (e.g., earn 2 MC whenever you play an event) apply to everyone as well. And it requires that you ignore the most obvious interpretation of playing cards in front of yourself ... being able to take other player's actions, if possible, would have been explicitly stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boehm
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Players can't use other players active cards. See Rulebook page 10:

"Active cards (blue D, E) have ongoing effects that may trigger at any time, or actions that you can use (just like the corporations)."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolph Fox
Mexico
flag msg tools
When you buy and play a blue card that changes the price of iron for example, for now on... do u need to spare a action to get the discount in every turn? Or is understood that you will now always have the new price?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rudolp wrote:
When you buy and play a blue card that changes the price of iron for example, for now on... do u need to spare a action to get the discount in every turn? Or is understood that you will now always have the new price?

If you mean Advanced Alloys, it works on all of your Steel and Titanium resources for the rest of the game. That card has no red arrow and thus is not limited to "once per generation".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.