Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

For the first game, I know it mentions which 4 characters to use but what happens if you are playing with 2 players?

Do you take all 4 and randomly select 2? Or do you just use the 1st and 2nd suggested?

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation of the rules was that they are telling you to use the 1st and 2nd suggested.

I haven't yet decided whether I agree with that advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
My interpretation of the rules was that they are telling you to use the 1st and 2nd suggested.

I don't like their suggestions at all. Giving a brand new player the ability to decide on pips in addition to everything else leads to more AP in my opinion, not less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
peakhope wrote:

I don't like their suggestions at all. Giving a brand new player the ability to decide on pips in addition to everything else leads to more AP in my opinion, not less.

Well, what do you suggest?

Going to play this game with my wife soon and want it to be an enjoyable experience the first time.

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that all the characters are pretty easy to understand. I would just jump to the advanced drafting rules: Draw 3 characters, the non-starting player picks one, then the start player picks one from the remaining 2. The unpicked character gets put back into the box.

If you want a recommendation as to good starting roles, I'd say Matteo Polo (the extra white dice) and the guy who doesn't have to stop to drop trading posts (Rubruk?). The guy who doesn't have to pay for placing dice over others is also a good choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vangamer1578 wrote:
I feel that all the characters are pretty easy to understand. I would just jump to the advanced drafting rules: Draw 3 characters, the non-starting player picks one, then the start player picks one from the remaining 2. The unpicked character gets put back into the box.

If you want a recommendation as to good starting roles, I'd say Matteo Polo (the extra white dice) and the guy who doesn't have to stop to drop trading posts (Rubruk?). The guy who doesn't have to pay for placing dice over others is also a good choice.

I agree that these three are good starting choices. They are all pretty easy to understand on your first play. The beauty of this game is how each play feels unique due to different characters and city cards. Let the first play be focused on learning the mechanisms and general flow of the game. Leave it for future plays to determine which are your favorite characters and how to "read" the map of available city and town actions.

Have fun with it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

Thanks for all the advice, my wife loved the game and wants to play again tonight.

She went second and I gave her the person who doesn't have to pay for a spot and I took the guy who gives you an extra white die.

I like the game but she really likes it.

Thx
jonpfl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I would not recommend Rubruk for a first time player, as he has a pretty high skill cap (he can be really good but it's hard to play him well). I'd suggest to pick any of the ones from the beginner's setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:

On the other hand he can treat every die individually. He can simply take an action and won't miss this die elsewhere, because every die is the same, while other characters have to optimize the use of their different rolls. He also doesn't have to care about rerolling dice and how many camels he can invest for this.
In my experience he's among the most straight forward characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesca Slade
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I think the opposite is true. When you get to decide which pips you want it basically means you don't have to worry about strategy of like 20% of the game. Most of the time you just play as if all of your dice were 6. I think that ability is by far the easiest for a new player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.