Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG the path rules are so confusing...

WHenc can i attack a new sector from an adjacent sector? What if i have enemy planets between me and my objective planet?

PLZ.. need help..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zodar H
Sweden
Jönköping
flag msg tools
atraangelis wrote:
OMG the path rules are so confusing...

WHenc can i attack a new sector from an adjacent sector? What if i have enemy planets between me and my objective planet?

PLZ.. need help..

You need a series of friendly areas between your origin and destination. Ships move before land troops. The friendly path is determined after the ships have moved, before the land troops move. All land troops move simultaneously.

If you have neutral or enemy areas between your origin and destination it is NOT a legal path.

You can attack a new sector when you have an advance order in that sector using units from a SINGLE adjacent system that have a legal path. Remember that only one combat can be created per advance order, so you cannot both fight a void battle and then a ground battle during the same advance order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some basic rules I try to communicate when teaching the game:

1. Only one orbital strike or combat per move order.
2. Movement will never involve units from more than two adjacent systems.
3. Ships move first, then ground units.
4. Any void anywhere on two tiles is adjacent between those two systems.
5. The unit limit in a void is 3. The unit limit in a world is based on the number of skulls. You can bring up to five "to the party" in a combat, but you'll have to remove excess units after combat resolves.
6. An orbital strike has to be on the same tile between a void and a world.

those are off the top of my head... there's probably more...

I agree that the rules on retreating were tough to sort through. The big epiphany there was that units have to first try and retreat to a friendly area first... even if it means the excess must be removed! You don't have the luxury of choosing a neutral adjacent world/void.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a destination sector, where you want to go. This is the tile you put your Advance order token on.

When you get to use your order, you may pick one adjacent sector that you can move units from, your origin sector. You don't have to, you can choose to only move within your destination sector. These two sectors can't be divided by a warp storm.

There are two parts to the move. First, you move your ships. You can take any of the ships on the destination sector, and any ships from your origin sector, and place them on any voids in the destination area, split any way you want. You don't need a path for this bit (yet) - spacecraft move however they want. The restriction is, you can't create more than one contested area (with enemy spacecraft in it). Usually, you won't create even one contested area with this bit.

Next, you move any ground units. These may have started on the destination sector, and/or the origin sector. All the ground units which move must end up on worlds in the destination sector. All the ground units must have a legal path from the world they started on, to the world they are going to, before any ground units actually move.

A legal path is a series of "jumps" across adjacent friendly spaces. Jumping diagonally is not allowed. Jumping over empty or hostile spaces is not allowed. A friendly space is friendly either because it already started with one of your structures or ground units in it, or because it has one of your spacecraft in it. That spacecraft may have been there all along, or you may have moved it in the first part above. If any space is empty, or contains any enemy units or structures, it isn't friendly and you can't jump through it.

Each path can end in an empty world or a world which was friendly to you already. One path (only one path) may end in a world already containing enemy units or structures - this is only allowed to happen if your spacecraft didn't meet any enemy spacecraft in the first part of the move.

The move part is now finished. After all this, there may be a single void space with your ship(s) and enemy ship(s) on it, OR there may be a single world with your units and his units/structures. These are contested areas, and will immediately lead to a combat. If he has any upright units or bastions, this combat will involve dice and cards.

If you did not cause a contested area after you finished moving, you may want to launch an orbital bombardment from your spacecraft on a world in the sector.

That is a very long winded description of something that is very intuitive once you've had a couple of goes playing it. Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patriarchxyz wrote:
You have a destination sector, where you want to go. This is the tile you put your Advance order token on.

When you get to use your order, you may pick one adjacent sector that you can move units from, your origin sector. You don't have to, you can choose to only move within your destination sector. These two sectors can't be divided by a warp storm.

There are two parts to the move. First, you move your ships. You can take any of the ships on the destination sector, and any ships from your origin sector, and place them on any voids in the destination area, split any way you want. You don't need a path for this bit (yet) - spacecraft move however they want. The restriction is, you can't create more than one contested area (with enemy spacecraft in it). Usually, you won't create even one contested area with this bit.

Next, you move any ground units. These may have started on the destination sector, and/or the origin sector. All the ground units which move must end up on worlds in the destination sector. All the ground units must have a legal path from the world they started on, to the world they are going to, before any ground units actually move.

A legal path is a series of "jumps" across adjacent friendly spaces. Jumping diagonally is not allowed. Jumping over empty or hostile spaces is not allowed. A friendly space is friendly either because it already started with one of your structures or ground units in it, or because it has one of your spacecraft in it. That spacecraft may have been there all along, or you may have moved it in the first part above. If any space is empty, or contains any enemy units or structures, it isn't friendly and you can't jump through it.

Each path can end in an empty world or a world which was friendly to you already. One path (only one path) may end in a world already containing enemy units or structures - this is only allowed to happen if your spacecraft didn't meet any enemy spacecraft in the first part of the move.

The move part is now finished. After all this, there may be a single void space with your ship(s) and enemy ship(s) on it, OR there may be a single world with your units and his units/structures. These are contested areas, and will immediately lead to a combat. If he has any upright units or bastions, this combat will involve dice and cards.

If you did not cause a contested area after you finished moving, you may want to launch an orbital bombardment from your spacecraft on a world in the sector.

That is a very long winded description of something that is very intuitive once you've had a couple of goes playing it. Hope that helps.
Good and exhaustive explanation!
I just wanted to add that some of this can change due to upgrades and events, specifically the bits about warpstorms separating systems and no empty voids in the path.

Definitely not worth mentioning in a first explanation, but IMO best to post it before somebody thinks the above is set in stone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for that explanation.
It makes more sense than how the rule book explains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:

It makes more sense than how the rule book explains.

Welcome to Fantasy Flight games!

It took me ten minutes in my second game of Forbidden Stars to find the part of the rules that actually stated unambiguously that a world which just had one of your structures on and no units was a "friendly" world. The "Learn to Play" book uses that term all the time but so far as I found never strictly defines what it means!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.