The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: limiting decks to cards released at that time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fish face
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure I can play this however I like, but is the general idea that I limit decks to those released at the time of the scenario I am playing or is it 'ok' among veterans to play any scenario with which ever cards they please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sawatzky
Canada
Randolph
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually include anything I currently own to whatever scenario I am playing. I feel that it's a little silly sadistic to limit yourself when playing this game in particular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm working my way through the packs I own in order, and limiting myself the first time through. If I go back to early quests after this, however, anything goes.

This way, I get the thrill of seeing what new cards I can use (some of which have likely been overshadowed by later cards) with each pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy playing it with the full pool of cards available for that cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles wohlganger
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only would it be a headache to limit yourself to just the cards that were out during a particular time frame, but the designers build and playtest the player cards from one cycle as one set. They essentially expect you to have all the cards from that cycle while you are playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally used cycle set of cards for each cycle, now I'm into trying ridiculous builds just because I want to see how they work, Currnetly doing Rangers, with Aragorn (Lore) Elladan and Elrojhir, the only ones I have consistent problems with in this one are Escape from Dol Guldur and Shadow and Flame, both of which are not well suited to single deck plays.
IT took massive luck to get through Dol Guldur (and about 9 or so tries I think it was before I got the "mix" right. I don't know if I can get through Shadow and Flame. (last one from Dwarrowdelf cycle)
I'm working on this one for the Fellowship event in November,
My other builds are a Gondor/Rohan deck, I'm limited at the moment to 2 cores, Mirkwood, Dwarrowdelf and just acquired Heirs of Numenor. I was hopping to get Voice of Isengard and cycle before November but doesn't look like that will happen in time for me to work out what to bring to Fellowship event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepsi Twist
England
flag msg tools
I totally get the appeal of limiting yourself to cards that were available at the time, but I always want to play thematic decks and it's not until later in the game that this becomes possible. So I'll use whatever cards I need to make a fun Rohan deck, even if at the time there were like 5 Rohan cards in 3 different spheres :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.