Doom: The Boardgame» Forums » Variants

Subject: Secret Rooms Variant (Taken from Descent) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas W
Sweden
Årsta
flag msg tools
I stole the ideas from Descent 2nd Edition.

SECRET ROOMS
Marines are not required to explore a secret room to complete
the scenario.

Secret room switch
The Invader beforehand chooses a single space where IF the marine lands the secret room will appear.

When the marine encounter a secret room switch,
place a secret room entrance token in that space.(Any token will do).
A marine in the same space as a switch
may spend 1 MP to explore. Place a secret room tile:

1. Place Secret Room: Place the appropriate secret room tile
near (not connected) to the map. This could preferably be one of the bigger tiles.

2. Move Hero: Place your marine figure on the secret room tile’s
entrance space.

3. Place Monsters and Items: The Invader randomly draws
items and monsters and places them in the corners of the room. Be fair! A good weapon and one bigger invader maybe?

4. Leaving the room:
During your turn, if your marine figure is
in a secret room entrance space, you may
spend 1 MP to move back into the main level area.

If you then move your figure to an occupied space, place it in the closest available empty space of choice.
When leaving the room the room is closed for the rest of the session. Remove the entrance token. If fragged while in the room, spawn marine as close to the entrance of the room as possible. When this happens the room is again locked for the rest of the mission.

Invaders can't leave or enter the secret room and they can't block the secret room entrance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it.

Going to figure this out for the superior version of descent(1st) as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Allen
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good opportunity to inject some help for the marines, like a Berserk token or a fun weapon not otherwise found in the level. I like the idea a lot. Depending on the level size and difficulty level, it might be cool to have multiple spaces that trigger the room, but once the room is found, the other spaces don't do anything.

Just curious, why not allow the monsters to come out of the secret room? Too many awkward scenarios given that the entrance technically is a single space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
ktfod wrote:
This is a good opportunity to inject some help for the marines, like a Berserk token or a fun weapon not otherwise found in the level. I like the idea a lot. Depending on the level size and difficulty level, it might be cool to have multiple spaces that trigger the room, but once the room is found, the other spaces don't do anything.

Just curious, why not allow the monsters to come out of the secret room? Too many awkward scenarios given that the entrance technically is a single space?

Thematically speaking I don't think monsters ever came out of secret rooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clarke
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This would work for all sorts of games, and it does happen in the video game. Great idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Allen
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
ktfod wrote:

Thematically speaking I don't think monsters ever came out of secret rooms.

My memory is worse than I thought

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.