5 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Two spirit deck questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying the spirit deck for the first time and it has raised two questions for me:

1. If a location is fully explored while in the staging area is it removed from play?

2. If I draw a card in response to a locations response which can then be played in response to travelling to a location can I play it for that location?

I'm torn on 1 because the rules wording would suggest yes it is, but the ruling is found in the section on traveling to and activating locations.

On 2 I'm pretty sure the answer is yes because you pull the card during the travel phase then play it during the player action phase, but I want to check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For #1: definitely and you activate any response (like ready a character or draw cards etc.)

For # 2: not sure of the situation, for instance if you draw a card from the encounter deck to travel to the location then its "when revealed" effects would take place before anything other than a response type event (like test of will).
If it is having you draw cards from your deck then yes you would be able to play them during the action phase as long as they are not ally or attachment cards etc. (those are still only playable in the planning phase)
So you still have to follow those rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrickx
Belgium
Reet
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quitch wrote:

2. If I draw a card in response to a locations response which can then be played in response to travelling to a location can I play it for that location?

do you mean this?
- during questing your northern tracker places a progress token on a location that get's fully explored
- the response on this card let's you draw a card
- during the travel phase you could use the card you've just drawned as a response

--> yes, this could work I think

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
2 works even if both effects are Responses to the same trigger, because you can choose the order of Responses (use the draw Response first, then play the whatever response of the drawn card)

Edit example: Ally leaves play. You Respond Valiant Sacrifice to draw 2 cards, draw another Valiant Sacrifice among them. Since you're still Responding, you can play that V.S. in Response to the same ally leaving play.

(Edit edit: Forest Gate and Strength of Will would be a Core set example involving locations, had to look up cards and names. Wasn't sure if Gate was a Travel or Response effect.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
2 works even if both effects are Responses to the same trigger, because you can choose the order of Responses (use the draw Response first, then play the whatever response of the drawn card)

Edit example: Ally leaves play. You Respond Valiant Sacrifice to draw 2 cards, draw another Valiant Sacrifice among them. Since you're still Responding, you can play that V.S. in Response to the same ally leaving play.

This is correct. However, once you do anything else besides a Response to that particular trigger, the Response window closes and doesn't open again. For example, let's say you have Eleanor with an Unexpected Courage on her. You have committed her to the quest, but you haven't yet exhausted the Unexpected Courage card to ready Eleanor -- so right now, Eleanor is exhausted and Unexpected Courage is ready. During staging, you turn over a Treachery card with a nasty "When Revealed" effect, and you'd like to use Eleanor to cancel it, by first readying her with Unexpected Courage and then using her Response effect to cancel the Treachery and deal a different card to replace it. You can't do that. Unexpected Courage's effect is an Action, so in order to use it, you'd have to have an action window, and you don't have an action window during staging.

But let's pretend that Unexpected Courage was a Response that said, "Response: When you realize that the attached hero is exhausted and you need that hero to be ready, exhaust Unexpected Courage to ready attached hero." That would work, right? Nope. Unexpected Courage would be responding to a different trigger. So by the time you played Unexpected Courage, the window to respond to the "a treachery was just revealed from the encounter deck" trigger has closed, and you can't open it again. The only way to play one Response, and then a second Response after it, is if both Responses are responding to the same triggering event.

If that was more confusing than enlightening, let me know and I'll try to rephrase it in a way that makes more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.