Subject: Wharf OP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
STEFAN HOCK
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey all,
I have played this game a good 7ish times and really enjoy it but I found that who ever controls the Wharf and a source of steady income especially the Bank always wins. Thus we have started playing with out the Wharf. Yes, I know the Dry Dock provides a good alternative but it is not nearly as strong getting boats out so cheap saving many trips on food. Any thoughts of strong counters besides taking the Wharf out.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Wright
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wharf is really a nice building, but just because someone else owns it doesn't mean you can't. I mostly play 2 player, often my opponent will build the wharf, I time it so I can use alternating terms as him. Works quite well.

As for the bank, no, the bank is very powerful. If someone else builds its a net gain of 4, but very nice for the owner to gain 5. We often don't play with it.

One strategy we have tried is the Lumber-mill (I think that is what it is called), where you can sell wood for extra, stock up on wood throughout the game and then sell at once for a nice profit!

I'm about 30 to 35 games in and I've tried many different strategies. Knowing your opponent is beneficial and also hedging on the whaling can make or break.

Just my 2cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
you may not be playing entirely correctly. Just because player A builds a structure, that doesn't mean that nobody else can use it. Anyone can use Player A's wharf so long as they pay player A $1.

So controlling the wharf really should be only a very small advantage. Controlling the bank is a bit more enticing because players tend to need a lot of money in order to score points, so the amount of turns you might spend getting money is probably greater than the amount of turns you will spend launching ships with the wharf. Still, the advantage is only marginal -but it is more pronounced if there isn't another good source of income (lumber yard or tavern).

As far as what buildings are the strongest, in my limited experience, so far it has been the buildings that grant extra Victory Points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
STEFAN HOCK
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks! Yes, we have usually decided to take out the Bank and replace with other items such as lumber mill. Yes, we are playing the rules where you pay a coin to use the wharf. It gains you about 4 coins which seems pretty significant when paying for whales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petyr Patter
msg tools
Bank is not over powered at all. The Tavern can give 6 money. The tryworks give 6 money value. The brick building gives 3 bricks which can be turned into 6 money. Wharf similarly saves two to three food. So, pay a coin to use wharf or 3 to buy food. or take action to get more food. This is hardly game breaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.