Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played twice now, once with 4 players and once with 2. Both times it was quite fun to start with; the 2 player game was the more challenging, and there was a lovely moment when we were about to die and an unexpected event brought a companion out to help us (you do keep rolling for unexpected events during combat turns, right?).

But also both times, the fun paled after several hours of constant dice rolling, and by the end we were all ready to throw the game against the nearest wall with frustration and boredom.

This would be a great little game if it was short and snappy, but it just goes on too way long and there's too much dice rolling.

In my opinion. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear it's not been working out for you.

All I can say is I don't feel the same way. The game seems fast-paced and frantic to me. I think there is the potential to get bogged down sometimes if monsters keep spawning or whatever, but the only time it really happened to me was in a narrow corridor where we kept getting pink and blue horrors (which obviously keep spawning lesser versions of themselves when they die). Because of our poor positioning and lack of a ranged attack, we got snarled up for quite a long time.

But that was the exception for us.

I'm all in for this game system, and will be buying anything else they make for it.

Edit: Unexpected events. They occur if there are no enemies on the board for two turns in a row, or when you are discarding destiny dice at the beginning of the turn (even if there are monsters on the board).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I'm on the fence. I loved building the adversary models, but couldn't stand the new Age of Sigmar heroes (too big, too silly looking) and after playing the game twice, I too have no strong desire to play again.

Hard to put my finger on why...

I think I would have liked a more robust campaign systems, perhaps akin to the original, that would make me feel more attached to my heroes. I would have liked to have started out a weakling, and ended the game a Hero.

It was also so very easy. We never really came across any situation that challenged us. Not hard = a bit boring...!

But we really did like the action dice, and the dungeon itself, and how building each adventure worked.

So I'm probably in for the next big box game, and will pick up the deck of cards for the extra heroes, but if after that one I'm still unexcited, I think that will be it for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one seems to be complaining about the length of the game. With two players we were playing for about 3-4 hours the other night. The fact that it's so easy to roll unexpected events when you roll destiny dice during a combat means battles can extend for ages. Maybe that happens more when you have only 2 players and there's more chance of the adversaries not getting wiped out at the end of a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rolling for unexpected events gets tiring after a while. Would not play for more than 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Hathaway
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I suppose the length of time can change significantly depending on when the final room comes out of the deck.

Saying that a long game is fine with me, If i'm going on a thematic story driven dungeon crawl i'll happily set aside an evening to take it all in.

My one and only issue is how easy the game is with 4 hero's but i'll be mitigating this by always running just two adventurers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. I have a fair share of complaints about Silver Tower, but early on I don't think our games were taking as long as what you are describing. Once we got a few skills and were continually ambushed - THEN it became really tedious.

Are you using the errated respite rules? Those make a fairly big difference with not getting constantly hit with monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, using the updated rules. The thought of adding ambushes that extend the time even further is horrifying ...

IMHO a couple of hours should be the maximum for this kind of dicefest. We got the last room out as the top card of the last three, and it still took that long. And we were moving along pretty quickly.

It's the old 'roll a million d6s' problem with GW games. In the last chamber, you may be doing well or just scraping by, and then if you roll the wrong number you suddenly have another 6 figures to deal with. I love me some randomness, but that's very frustrating after playing for several hours. And it feels like it all starts to come down to 'check the number , roll, check the number, roll ...'

Anyway, I've only played twice. But I doubt anyone I played with would be desparate to get it back to the table, despite the scores of hours I spent painting the figures! Shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played twice so far and I can't wait to play again. We won two scenarios and lost the third with three characters. To us, the game seems like a great challenge with only three characters. We're also using some of the weaker characters like the Barbarian. Our group is loving it and a couple of us think it's the best new game we've tried in quite some time.

We haven't had trouble with the length like you're describing, for us it has been a pretty quick exercise to make it from one room to the next, with the exception of a few longer combats that were still pretty exciting. Maybe you just don't like the game too much? That's ok, nothing wrong with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One simple variant would be to only have Events occur on triples rather than doubles, making them a lot rarer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UniversalHead wrote:
I'm surprised no one seems to be complaining about the length of the game. With two players we were playing for about 3-4 hours the other night. The fact that it's so easy to roll unexpected events when you roll destiny dice during a combat means battles can extend for ages. Maybe that happens more when you have only 2 players and there's more chance of the adversaries not getting wiped out at the end of a turn.

Wow... I've played through the full campaign with 2 players, and one additional game with a full compliment of 4 players. The two player games all had a strict 1.5-2 hour limit, as that was the amount of time we had between the time everyone showed up for the game, finished up all purchases we wanted to make that week, and got everything set up and ready to go to when the store closed and we had to scuttle out of there. We only ran into one case where we hit the time limit, and that was when we ran a Necromancer and a Skaven Gray Seer - definitely not the killiest of groups. The 4 player game also clocked in at about 1.5 hours, with me being the only player who had played before.

Now, that said, the game is very easy all the way through - as in, really easy. Granted, my friend and I switched characters every game and never built up any skill cards (we wanted to explore the game and see what it was all about), and there were only a handful of times where we ever felt threatened. That said, there are a few cases where the game showed it had some teeth - the Advanced Adversaries we faced felt like they were at about the right level of difficulty, and the Skaven Assassin definitely feels spot on. Overall, I hope they up the difficulty a bit on their next outing - or give us an option to 'level up' a weak character as the game goes on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, very different experiences. Perhaps too much time was taken up reaching for the beer glass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll join in to say my longest game was a 4 player teaching game that took a little over 2 hours and that was due to some horrible luck in the first room leading to 3 random encounters in a row.

Other than that the game hovers under 2 hours routinely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bloody heck, I wonder what we're doing wrong to make it go for so long?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UniversalHead wrote:
I've played twice now, once with 4 players and once with 2. Both times it was quite fun to start with; the 2 player game was the more challenging, and there was a lovely moment when we were about to die and an unexpected event brought a companion out to help us (you do keep rolling for unexpected events during combat turns, right?).

But also both times, the fun paled after several hours of constant dice rolling, and by the end we were all ready to throw the game against the nearest wall with frustration and boredom.

This would be a great little game if it was short and snappy, but it just goes on too way long and there's too much dice rolling.

In my opinion. Thoughts?

Yeah. There's this cool website where this guy posts all these wonderful, free game sheets that you can download that make playing these games so much easier and faster. You should check it out and.... Oh..... Uh nevermind. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like some kind of scam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quiarcus
China
Beijing
北京
flag msg tools
mb
Done 2 campaigns so far, and am currently into a third. This time we've found that the game is definitely dragging unlike previous runs and it seems to be due to the combination of heroes (Mistweaver and golden rod). Our last game lasted about 3 hours due to us rolling unexpected events nearly every single turn (many of which resulted in the Thaumaturge or Gaunt showing up), so you're definitely not alone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I retyped all the random encounters onto a single page reference to minimize book flipping, and am now redoing them all onto cards so we can draw rather than rolling. This should make it go faster and also mean we don't hit the same event twice in one adventure (except for the events that occur twice on the table; those are getting two cards).

Of course, if I shared them people would be flipping out about how I was robbing Games Workshop. shake

(Plus they look awful)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Of course, if I shared them people would be flipping out about how I was robbing Games Workshop. :shake:

(Plus they look awful)

Those people can f*ck off. I, for one, would LOVE to see something like this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
StormKnight wrote:
Of course, if I shared them people would be flipping out about how I was robbing Games Workshop. shake

(Plus they look awful)

Those people can f*ck off. I, for one, would LOVE to see something like this!

Same here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I retyped all the random encounters onto a single page reference to minimize book flipping, and am now redoing them all onto cards so we can draw rather than rolling. This should make it go faster and also mean we don't hit the same event twice in one adventure (except for the events that occur twice on the table; those are getting two cards).

(Plus they look awful)

Not even the same thing as the other conversation and you know it.

Your game aid would only be usable by people owning the original game components, including the charts, and would not take the place of a separate purchase expansion item.

The "print them yourself" Hero cards discussed elsewhere would replace the need to buy them from GW, previously in app only form. They would, therefore, be usable without ever paying GW for the content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

(Plus they look awful)

Your game aid would only be usable by people owning the original game components, including the charts, and would not take the place of a separate purchase expansion item.

The "print them yourself" Hero cards discussed elsewhere would replace the need to buy them from GW, previously in app only form. They would, therefore, be usable without ever paying GW for the content.

I'm not convinced GW lawyers would care about that distinction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

(Plus they look awful)

It isn't GW lawyers that force BGG to refuse game aids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
SpoDaddy wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

(Plus they look awful)

It isn't GW lawyers that force BGG to refuse game aids.

Who is it then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG automatically blocks them without review.

who knows what GW would do now.

Entire different group of people there today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.