Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
*The Run Down
Ruin is a character inspired by both Prime and Shazam (aka Captain Marvel) as being a powerful hero who is actually a kid. Like both Malibu comic's Prime and Shazam of DC, Ruin is a tough character who can bring the pain as much as take it. He plays with counters in a way like Setback which is supposed to represent him giving into his destructive nature as a god of war to gain power. Using these counters, some of his cards will be able to be used or even powered up.

*Bio
Luke Evans is a 16yr old who just can't catch a break. All the guys pick on him, all the girls ignore him. Above average student who his parents adore and all around good kid. On his 16th Birthday though, he took a swing at a bully who went too far and was pummeled for it. Later as he blew out the candles on his cake, he wished that he could be like the heroes on T.V. That night as he slept, he was startled awake by a figure standing next to his bed. In a raspy voice the figure offered to fulfill his wish in exchange that he pay a price. Not believing what he was being offered, he agreed, too frustrated with being who he was to think what the price could of been. He was told he would be imbued with the power of a war god and achieve glory beyond imagining. Then the figured vanished. A phrase entered his mind and with a whisper, the slightest utter of those words, he felt the hair rise on his body as power surged through him and turned him into an adult. The energy solidified around him becoming his armor. He knew he would become a hero.

The next day at school, the bullies harassed Luke as usual, but this time he was not going to take it and transformed in front of them. He felt all of his anger, all that pent up rage from their abuse well up in him and he released his anger in a surge of power, decimating the school. He looked around horrified at what he had done. By giving in to his anger, he lost himself to his power. He heard an echo in the distance as well, the sound of chains breaking. The figure appeared before him laughing and told him that he has started paying the price. By using his powers, he gives up a part of himself and weakens the chains that bind the beast that he will fight or else fall along with his world. Scared, Luke flew away. Some days later, as he was eating at a diner, a man sat down across from Luke and smiled. The man asked him how he would like to be able to control his powers and be a hero.

Hero: Ruin
HP: 30
Base Power: Concentrate
-Draw a Card, Gain 1 Charge

Incapacitated:
-Destroy 1 Environment Card
-Increase a Hero's Damage by 1 until your next turn
-Reduce Villain Damage by 1 until your next turn

Ongoing, Limited (Qty:5)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Giga Smasher (Qty:3)
-Power: Remove 1 Charge, Ruin deals 3 energy damage to 1 target

Absorbing Aggression (Qty:2)
-Once per turn, when Ruin is dealt damage, gain 1 charge

Equipment, Limited (Qty:3)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
War God Armor (Qty:3)
-At the beginning of your turn, pick a damage type. Reduce damage to Ruin of that type by 2.
-Once per turn, If a hero would take 4 or more damage from a single source, you may redirect that damage to Ruin. Destroy this card at the end of the turn.

One-Shot (Qty:30)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mass Eraser (Qty:2)
-Remove all charge tokens.
-Ruin deals X energy damage to each other target, X= # of Removed Charge.

Energize (Qty:4)
-Gain 2 Charge, Discard 1 card.

Vaz'Hodah! (Qty:4)
-Gain 2 Charge
-Heal Ruin 4 HP
-End Ruin's Turn.

Study Time (Qty:3)
-Draw 3 Cards, Increase Damage dealt to Ruin by 1 until your next turn.

Titanic Punch (Qty:4)
-Ruin deals 1 target 2 melee damage.
-May Spend 1 Charge to have Ruin deal 2 more melee damage.

Excessive Slam (Qty:3)
-Ruin deals 1 target 2 melee damage and each other target 1 sonic damage.
-Gain 1 Charge

Monumental Blow (Qty:3)
Ruin deals 1 target 2 melee damage and 1 other target 2 projectile damage. May discard 1 card to gain 1 Charge.

Flight (Qty:3)
-Draw 2 Cards
-Gain 1 Charge

Reckless Assault (Qty:3)
-Ruin deals 1 target 4 melee damage. Destroy target environment card.
-Ruin deals 2 damamge to a hero target, gain 1 Charge.

Ongoing (Qty:3)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Colossal Strength (Qty:3)
-Increase Ruin's non-energy damage by 1.
-At the beginning of your turn, spend 1 charge for each additional Colossal Strength in play or destroy them.

Any recommendations and suggestions would be appreciated. This is the first of the custom decks me and my playgroup have come up with. 11 heroes, 10 villains, and 4 environments.

(Edit Notes)
-Altered Power ability and name to increase synergy.
-Altered Flight for more of a better feel of deck.
-Altered Excessive Slam to give a more reckless feel to character and add charge.
-Altered Titanic Punch to give another option for Charge spending.
-Altered Vaz'Hodah to give a Charge.
-Added to Reckless Assault an option to Gain Charge for harming an ally.
-Fixed Templating issue
-Removed unnecessary wording
-Removed gaining charge ability from Titanic Punch to mitigate Ruin's ability to gain charge.
-Added Limited to Equipment
-Added cost to Colossal Strength
-Altered War God Armor to make it more balanced and give the feel of a protector to Ruin.
-Update War God Armor wording and ability to be once per turn
-Increase charge gain of Vaz' Hodah
-Reduced Quantity of Study Time by 1
-Changed name of Mega Shield of Convergence Shield
-Changed ability of Convergence Shield
-Reckless Assaults second ability is now mandatory
-Renamed Convergence Shield to Absorbing Aggression

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Custom Hero - Ruin
How does his token management flow? he seems to be low on generation from an initial look, has that been an issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It has been hit and miss depending on what is drawn. Either need to increase the draw or add more charge generation. I am up to any suggestions.

I was trying to make sure it was not too high due to the Overpowered possibility, but I also did not want it to be underpowered either. We usually had a tops of 4 Charges on him. Which was not bad. But generally he had 1 to 2 counters on him about a couple of turns in.though as those games were always played with Heroes that helped with card draw. I do feel that 1 more card having the ability to add some Charge would be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am going to add the charge ability to Vaz'Hodah. Seems like a good match and will bring the count to 15 cards to generate charge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Petrekov
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a quick scan,It looks like Ruin would ideally be discarding cards for charges with his one-shots and then spending charges on his ongoing powers or the occasional Mass Eraser. But in less ideal situations, I feel like he would run into turns where he doesn't have much that he can do besides draw 2 cards or gain charges with his base power and keep his hand size the same. Have you tried a base power like Setbacks? Something along the lines of:
Power: Gain 1 charge counter. You may play a card now.
With this power Ruin isn't shut down quite so much by a discard-heavy villain. He also would be building up Charges to use later without such a heavy cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good call. Will change the power to just adding a charge and maybe draw 1 card to balance out the discarding a little. Also changed the name of the power to keep with the feel of the new power. Any name changes people think would be better or any card slots that seem wasted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaggid88 wrote:
Study Time (Qty:4)
-Draw 3 Cards, Increase Damage to Ruin by 1 until your next turn.

No comments on mechanics, but I love the theme of this card. Very Ms. Marvel!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
greylag wrote:
Jaggid88 wrote:
Study Time (Qty:4)
-Draw 3 Cards, Increase Damage to Ruin by 1 until your next turn.

No comments on mechanics, but I love the theme of this card. Very Ms. Marvel!
Thank you. I was going for a Shazam feel. Him vulnerable in his kid form researching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flight seems weak, only a small edge over those cards just not existing. Maybe bump it up a bit by adding an extra Charge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Butler
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb
Given the background you wrote I don't see any cards that hurt your allies.
Can I sugges altering some of the damage dealing cards to have the option to also hurt your allies and gain more tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Faceontoast wrote:
Given the background you wrote I don't see any cards that hurt your allies.
Can I sugges altering some of the damage dealing cards to have the option to also hurt your allies and gain more tokens?
Good call. I will do that. Give him a bit more flavor.

And to the Flight alteration, that is a good point as well. Will do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brain craft
msg tools
Colossal Strength and War God Armor aren't Limited, so they stack. This isn't so bad for Colossal Strength, since it only works on One-Shots and applies to friendly fire. But War God Armor will rarely see its drawback come into play; many deck combinations won't have any Radiant or Infernal damage incoming at all, and those that do will rarely have enough of it to knock War God Armor off. The game usually avoids having that much persistent, functionally flawless damage reduction in one place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very good points and thank you for catching those. I forgot to put limited on the armor and Colossal Strength was a bit OP to not hinder in some way. I added a cost to it so it can still be strong, but at a cost. And to the armors effect, I will adjust it a bit to make it more vulnerable to being destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Playtested with 2 others and got feedback and added the adjustments to the deck. Played against Omnitron and we did alright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.