Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
*The Run Down
Edge is a character inspired by both Prime and Shazam (aka Captain Marvel) as being a powerful hero who is actually a kid. Like both Malibu comic's Prime and Shazam of DC, Edge is a tough character who can bring the pain as much as take it. He plays with counters in a way like Setback which is supposed to represent him giving into his destructive nature as a god of war to gain power. Using these counters, some of his cards will be able to be used or even powered up.

*Bio
Luke Evans is a 16yr old who just can't catch a break. All the guys pick on him, all the girls ignore him. Above average student who his parents adore and all around good kid. On his 16th Birthday though, he took a swing at a bully who went too far and was pummeled for it. Later as he blew out the candles on his cake, he wished that he could be like the heroes on T.V. That night as he slept, he was startled awake by a figure standing next to his bed. In a raspy voice the figure offered to fulfill his wish in exchange that he pay a price. Not believing what he was being offered, he agreed, too frustrated with being who he was to think what the price could of been. He was told he would be imbued with the power of a war god and achieve glory beyond imagining. Then the figured vanished. A phrase entered his mind and with a whisper, the slightest utter of those words, he felt the hair rise on his body as power surged through him and turned him into a living weapon. Energy crackled around him and solidified, becoming his armor. He knew his life would never be the same again.

The next day at school, the bullies harassed Luke as usual, but this time he was not going to take it and transformed in front of them. He felt all of his anger, all that pent up rage from their abuse well up in him and worse, he felt their anger and fed upon it. Losing control, he released his power, decimating the school. He looked around horrified at what he had done. By giving in to his power, he lost himself to it. He heard an echo in the distance as well, the sound of laughter. The figure appeared before him laughing and told him that he has started paying the price. By using his powers, he becomes the living god weapon more each time and less of himself. Scared, Luke flew away. Several days later, as he was eating at a diner, a man sat down across from Luke and smiled. The man asked him how he would like to be able to control his powers and be a hero. To be their Edge against evil.

Hero: Edge
HP: 30
Base Power: Concentrate
-Draw a Card, Gain 1 Charge Token

Incapacitated:
-Destroy 1 Environment Card
-Increase a Hero's Damage by 1 until your next turn
-Reduce Villain Damage by 1 until your next turn

Ongoing, Limited (Qty:5)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Giga Smasher (Qty:3)
-Power: Remove 1 Charge Token, Edge deals a Target 5 energy damage. If the target is destroyed by this damage, draw a card.
-Power: Remove 1 Charge token and Discard a Giga Smasher card from your hand, then Edge deals 2 targets 3 Energy damage.
Grom:"You call that Smashing? Ha!"

Strengthened by Battle (Qty:2)
-Once per turn, when Edge is dealt damage, gain 1 Charge Token
Feeding on energy from a battle, he never tires, only grows stronger

Equipment, Limited (Qty:3)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
War God Armor (Qty:3)
-When Edge would be dealt damage, you may Remove a Charge Token, then reduce damage dealt to Edge by X, where X= # of remaining Charge Tokens.
-If a hero would take 4 or more damage from a single source, you may redirect that damage to Edge and destroy this card.
Sting: "The armor seems to not necessarily protect him, but limit him. That is a terrifying notion."

One-Shot (Qty:30)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mass Eraser (Qty:2)
-Remove all charge tokens.
-Edge deals X energy damage to each non-hero target and 1 Energy Damage to each Hero target, X= # of Removed Charge Tokens.
Fanatic: "You hit everyone!"
Edge: "But, did I miss?"

Energize (Qty:4)
-Double your Charge Tokens
-Edge deals himself 2 energy damage, then the next time Edge would deal damage, increase it by 2.
As Edge gained power rapidly, Shock King could see that this was no longer funny.

Vaz'Hodah! (Qty:4)
-Gain 3 Charge Tokens
-Edge regains 5 HP
-Immediately End Your Turn.
With these words, Luke Hamil turned into the mighty Edge.

Study Time (Qty:3)
-Draw 3 Cards, Increase Damage dealt to Edge by 1 until your next turn.
Tachyon: "Your smart for a kid."
Luke: "Your smart for an adult."

Titanic Punch (Qty:4)
-You may Remove up to 2 Charge Tokens to Have Edge deal 2+X Melee Damage to a target, where X= 2# of removed Charge Tokens.
Director Payne watched in awe at the sheer power of Edge's punches

Excessive Slam (Qty:3)
-Edge deals 1 target 2 melee damage and each villain target 1 sonic damage.
-If a target was destroyed by this damage, Gain 1 Charge Token
Edge: "I may have hit him a bit too hard."

Monumental Blow (Qty:3)
-Remove up to 3 Charge Tokens, Edge deals 1 target X melee damage and X other targets 2 projectile damage, where x= # of Charge Tokens Removed.
-If a target was destroyed by this damage, Gain 1 Charge Token.
Edge: "Two for one special!"
Evo: "Really?"

Flight (Qty:3)
-Draw 2 Cards
-Gain 1 Charge
Zenobia: "Seems like most of the warriors of this world can fly."

Reckless Assault (Qty:3)
-Edge deals 1 target 4 melee damage.
-You may destroy an environment card.
-You may have Edge deal 2 damage to a hero target. If you do, gain 1 Charge Token.
Thaun: "You must control your strength!"

Ongoing (Qty:3)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Colossal Strength (Qty:3)
-Increase Edge's non-energy damage by 1.
-At the beginning of your turn, spend 1 charge token or destroy Colossal Strength.
Legacy: "He is almost as strong as me, almost."

Any recommendations and suggestions would be appreciated. This is the first of the custom decks me and my playgroup have come up with. 11 heroes, 10 villains, and 4 environments.

(Edit Notes)
-Altered Power ability and name to increase synergy.
-Altered Flight for more of a better feel of deck.
-Altered Excessive Slam to give a more reckless feel to character and add charge.
-Altered Titanic Punch to give another option for Charge spending.
-Altered Vaz'Hodah to give a Charge.
-Added to Reckless Assault an option to Gain Charge for harming an ally.
-Fixed Templating issue
-Removed unnecessary wording
-Removed gaining charge ability from Titanic Punch to mitigate Ruin's ability to gain charge.
-Added Limited to Equipment
-Added cost to Colossal Strength
-Altered War God Armor to make it more balanced and give the feel of a protector to Ruin.
-Update War God Armor wording and ability to be once per turn
-Increase charge gain of Vaz' Hodah
-Reduced Quantity of Study Time by 1
-Changed name of Mega Shield of Convergence Shield
-Changed ability of Convergence Shield
-Reckless Assaults second ability is now mandatory
-Renamed Convergence Shield to Absorbing Aggression
-Increased Giga Smasher damage and added additional effect to power.
-Fixed wording throughout deck.
-Fixed Colossal Strength's upkeep
-Slight rework to Titanic Punch and Monumental Blow
-Changed first ability of War God Armor from pick a damage type to removing tokens to reduce damage received.
-Changed Giga Smasher's ability from damage another target to draw a card, increased Giga Smashers first ability damage from 4 to 5, and added second ability to card.
-Changed damage of Mass Eraser so heroes receive flat 2 Energy damage and Non-Hero targets receive full damage of X.
-Removed discard cost of Energize, added second ability, and added skip power phase effect to balance card and give feel of powering up over 9000.
-Reworked Titanic Punch from straight damage bonus for removing a Charge Token to remove up to 3 and deal x additional damage.
-Renamed Absorbing Aggression to Strengthened by Battle.
-Reworked Monumental Blow to use Charge Tokens and put stipulation to gaining Charge Tokens.
-Rework Excessive Slam to only harm villain targets for sonic damage and added stipulation to gaining a Charge Token
-Reduced damage to heroes on Mass Eraser from 2 to 1
-Changed Charge generation of Energize from 2 Charge Tokens to Doubling current amount
-Reworked first power of War God Armor to remove a single token to prevent x damage which equals the number of charge tokens he still possesses from paying x to prevent x.
-Adjusted Titanic Punch to have a limit of charge token removal of 2 instead of 3 and gain 2 damage per charge token instead of 1.
-Fixed targeting issue with projectile damage on Monumental Blow by adding other so not to target original target
-Adjusted Vaz'Hodah to account for loss of turn by increasing HP regain from 4 to 5 and increased charge token gain from 2 to 3.
-Slight rework to Energize to make it more different from Vaz'Hodah by having ruin hurt himself, but increase the damage of his next attack by 2.
-Renaming Ruin to Edge due to conflict with villain in team villain Baron Blade's deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Custom Hero - Ruin
How does his token management flow? he seems to be low on generation from an initial look, has that been an issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It has been hit and miss depending on what is drawn. Either need to increase the draw or add more charge generation. I am up to any suggestions.

I was trying to make sure it was not too high due to the Overpowered possibility, but I also did not want it to be underpowered either. We usually had a tops of 4 Charges on him. Which was not bad. But generally he had 1 to 2 counters on him about a couple of turns in.though as those games were always played with Heroes that helped with card draw. I do feel that 1 more card having the ability to add some Charge would be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am going to add the charge ability to Vaz'Hodah. Seems like a good match and will bring the count to 15 cards to generate charge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Petrekov
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a quick scan,It looks like Ruin would ideally be discarding cards for charges with his one-shots and then spending charges on his ongoing powers or the occasional Mass Eraser. But in less ideal situations, I feel like he would run into turns where he doesn't have much that he can do besides draw 2 cards or gain charges with his base power and keep his hand size the same. Have you tried a base power like Setbacks? Something along the lines of:
Power: Gain 1 charge counter. You may play a card now.
With this power Ruin isn't shut down quite so much by a discard-heavy villain. He also would be building up Charges to use later without such a heavy cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good call. Will change the power to just adding a charge and maybe draw 1 card to balance out the discarding a little. Also changed the name of the power to keep with the feel of the new power. Any name changes people think would be better or any card slots that seem wasted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaggid88 wrote:
Study Time (Qty:4)
-Draw 3 Cards, Increase Damage to Ruin by 1 until your next turn.

No comments on mechanics, but I love the theme of this card. Very Ms. Marvel!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
greylag wrote:
Jaggid88 wrote:
Study Time (Qty:4)
-Draw 3 Cards, Increase Damage to Ruin by 1 until your next turn.

No comments on mechanics, but I love the theme of this card. Very Ms. Marvel!
Thank you. I was going for a Shazam feel. Him vulnerable in his kid form researching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flight seems weak, only a small edge over those cards just not existing. Maybe bump it up a bit by adding an extra Charge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Butler
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb
Given the background you wrote I don't see any cards that hurt your allies.
Can I sugges altering some of the damage dealing cards to have the option to also hurt your allies and gain more tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Faceontoast wrote:
Given the background you wrote I don't see any cards that hurt your allies.
Can I sugges altering some of the damage dealing cards to have the option to also hurt your allies and gain more tokens?
Good call. I will do that. Give him a bit more flavor.

And to the Flight alteration, that is a good point as well. Will do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brain craft
msg tools
Colossal Strength and War God Armor aren't Limited, so they stack. This isn't so bad for Colossal Strength, since it only works on One-Shots and applies to friendly fire. But War God Armor will rarely see its drawback come into play; many deck combinations won't have any Radiant or Infernal damage incoming at all, and those that do will rarely have enough of it to knock War God Armor off. The game usually avoids having that much persistent, functionally flawless damage reduction in one place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very good points and thank you for catching those. I forgot to put limited on the armor and Colossal Strength was a bit OP to not hinder in some way. I added a cost to it so it can still be strong, but at a cost. And to the armors effect, I will adjust it a bit to make it more vulnerable to being destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Playtested with 2 others and got feedback and added the adjustments to the deck. Played against Omnitron and we did alright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After a long wait, I finally got the art for Ruin. We are figuring out what each character looks like before working on the individual cards, which gives me time to figure out and finalize the decks with a little more playtesting. The art will get better with more detail, but this is the 3rd phase of art for Ruin and hopefully the fourth will be the final phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennet Lander
msg tools
Go, go, go!!! (please... )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexa Elvrayen

California
msg tools
People seem to forget that when adding new game terms (Charge), you need some clear definition to it. Setback and Skyscraper are both detailed in their ruleboook.

Giga Smasher is fairly unexciting, as that's a power most heroes can achieve without a drawback/cost.

War God Armor, as worded, is useless. It doesn't activate until the start of his next turn (start by the way, not "beginning"), but it blows up at the end of the turn he plays it...

It's odd seeing 4x cards, when most decks in Sentinels (excluding Plague Rat et al that rely on 1 card) have a max of 3 copies...

Vaz'Hodah should be "Ruin regains 4 hp" ("Heal" is not a term in Sentinels) and "Immediately end your turn."

Titanic Punch - Is it increasing the damage by 2, or a separate hit of 2 (and can that hit be on something else)? The wording doesn't make sense.

On both Titanic Punch and Monumental Blow, it should be "You may" - "may" doesn't designate who gets the effect.

Reckless Assault should be "You may destroy an environment card." Destruction never specifies to "target" something, and as is it can only be played if an environment card is in play.

Colossal Strength needs a wording change. What constitutes "additional"? As is, they all check for each other and the cost is exponential (0, 2, 6)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Alexa_Elvrayen wrote:
It's odd seeing 4x cards, when most decks in Sentinels (excluding Plague Rat et al that rely on 1 card) have a max of 3 copies...
Plenty of decks have 4x, Plague Rat is one of the few with 5x.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexa Elvrayen

California
msg tools
That's fair, I was miscounting. But usually it's 4x copies of cards key to the deck (modules, Impromptu Invention, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for pointing out the errors and shortcomings Alexa. Made several fixes that will have hopefully made the deck more clear and better all around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Ooh, haven't seen this one before...

At first glance, seems like it might be a little bit underpowered? In principle I like building up and spending charges, but they don't seem like they have a huge payoff. From what I can tell, the charge spenders are...

Giga Smasher (1 charge = 4 damage. 4 damage is good, but this is only 1 damage more than baseline powers like Flak Cannon, Blazing Tornado etcetera so spending the charge isn't super powerful)
Titanic Punch (1 charge = 2 extra damage)
Mass Eraser (1 charge = 1 damage to everyone)
Colossal Strength (1 charge = 1 turn of damage bonus)

It seems a bit like the charges don't make him that much more powerful, and he only has a few ways to actually use them. There is an repeatable ongoing that can be used over and over, but it only uses one charge. There is a one-shot that uses one charge, and a one-shot that uses heaps of charges, but you might not want to use that much as it might hurt your team a lot too. I can see having 4+ charge tokens and nothing to actually spend them on! I do like Colossal Strength though, it's interesting in a push your luck kind of way.

Obviously I've not tested, but based on my own experience with these extra resources, you have to find a sweet spot where they matter. If tons of things use tokens but they're hard to get you feel sad all the time because you can't get your cool abilities to work. If you have lots of tokens but not many ways to spend them/ways to spend them that don't do that much, then they're not very exciting - they're a minor bonus that you don't really have to think about as you always have plenty of tokens.

My guess is that currently Ruin leans a bit too much towards the latter - he has lots of ways to get tokens, not that many ways to use them, and most of the ways to use them don't do that much. Particularly if you don't get Giga Smasher or Colossal Strength. It also might be wise to have a few more cards like Mass Eraser that let you spend lots of charge tokens, so if you DO manage to get lots you can do something useful with them. Mass Eraser does okay here, but it doesn't have that many copies, and also sometimes you don't want to use it no matter how many charges you have as it'll do more damage to the heroes than the villains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for the input Adelphophage. I took your suggestions into heavy consideration and made a lot of changes and adjustments to the deck.

Also, this is actually the first hero I have posted of the ones I am working on. I am pretty excited to see him coming along more.

Any more suggestions are welcome. Looking forward to playtesting him with these changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Ash
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Just a minor thing....You may want to use a different name, since Ruin is already the name of a character in SotM (Mini-nemesis to Argent Adept in, I believe, Vengeance Baron Blade's deck) Obviously not something you have to do, but it might be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Giga Smasher looks pretty attractive now, gives him a steady use for Charges.

Mass Eraser conversely isn't great - at 2 charge tokens it deals the same amount to friends and foes. I wouldn't play a card that just dealt 2 damage to everyone, and I definitely wouldn't pay 2 charges privilege. it's probably taking 4ish charges before it becomes worthwhile, which is a lot. Would probably be okay without the damaging friends, or if its flavour wise could be down to just 1?

War God Armor (cool name, by the way) also seems a shade below the curve, the rate seems to be around 2 damage per charge, so 1 HP per charge seems poor, and the second ability isn't going to see much use. I'd much rather save a charge for Giga Smasher than prevent 1 damage!

Titanic Punch could also probably use a bit of a boost - I can spend three tokens to do what Giga Smasher does anyway? Maybe if it was 2 damage per charge?

Monumental Blow reads a bit funny (can you deal the original target projectile damage?) but power wise seems about right.

Energize and Vaz'Hodah seem a bit close for me. They both gain 2 charges, they both skip your power phase (one also skips a draw), and do a secondary effect. 4 HP is solid, 1 extra damage (which I likely have to remember until next turn) is not. As each is a 4x, that's a bit too much repetition for me. Might be an idea to give them a bit more identity? Also, bear in mind that as he has a power that is gain a charge anyway, as both make you skip a power phase, they're effectively costing 1 charge anyway, so they only profit you one.

Random idea - you want a lot of different ways to play into the charge counters, some encourage you to bleed it off slowly (Giga Smasher) some to build up for a big hit (Mass Eraser, Titanic Punch). It might be interesting to give some texture to how you gain them. As an example, Energize could just DOUBLE the number of charge counters you have, this would make it interesting how to you use it - ideally you want to use with a ton of charges on him, but the longer you wait, the longer you're not contributing... Would also feel very different to Vaz'Hodah.

Another idea that might give some more depth to the charges rather than just "I have them or I don't". War God armour could be remove a token to reduce damage by the number of charges. So if I have 4 charges, I pay 1 charge to reduce the damage by 4, a good deal. If I have 1 charge, I pay 1 to reduce it by 1. Might be interesting? Might also discourage Mass Eraser and such too much, though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ugh, I really need to research those mini villains. This is the second time conflicting with their names. I renamed Ruin to Edge. Thank you for the heads up.

Adelphophage, thank you for the input. Made a lot of changes and tweaks to Edge's cards with your suggestions to make him more efficient and more remarkable. I worry that he may too powerful though. What do you think? In all fairness, he is based off of very powerful characters of Shazam and Prime. Maybe I should add more drawbacks to balance him out? What is yours and everyone else's thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.