GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,767 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Preserving Stickers on Wood Components rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Hall
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For games like Article 27: The UN Security Council Game or Council of Verona (1st edition), which have stickers on wooden components, is there a way to preserve the stickers? Over time and through repeated plays, I can see these rubbing off or losing their adhesion.

Has anyone experimented with varnish or anything to make stickers more permanent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never tried it on stickers before, but I could imagine standard varnish spray used to preserve the acrylic paint on paintings (or miniatures) should work just fine. But best try it on an empty corner of the sticker sheet to see if it somehow damages the paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
I superglued the numbers onto the camels in Timbuktu.

I haven't played the game enough to tell you whether this was effective. But it wasn't too hard to do, at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
juggler5 wrote:
For games like Article 27: The UN Security Council Game or Council of Verona (1st edition), which have stickers on wooden components, is there a way to preserve the stickers? Over time and through repeated plays, I can see these rubbing off or losing their adhesion.

Has anyone experimented with varnish or anything to make stickers more permanent?

The knights are still on my Catan Knights and Cities, over a decade later. No protection is necessary really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Watered down wood glue, brushed over the surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'll suggest getting some wide-cellophane TAPE and place a piece of THAT upon this, while it may require 'cutting downsized' portions from them, in order for providing enough surface overlay in this manner. You may also have some 'Game' with these that would 'smear' in contact with "immersion"/liquids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest a few coats of Testors Dullcote - I use this matt varnish on any minis I paint to protect them from wear and tear. Maybe 3 or 4?

I also made some custom dice earlier in the year, with water-transfer decals on blank dice. A few coats of Dullcote made the transition from dice to decal bump-free and they're still looking good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoot them with aerosol acrylic clearcoat. This may well be the same stuff that that the minis guys are suggesting up above (it's often called 'varnish', even though it technically isn't). Spray-on acrylic basically paints a layer of clear plastic over the whole thing, sealing everything in. You can get it in gloss, satin or matt. I've used Hycote, Rustoleum, Plasti-kote and Krylon. They all work. Just do it in a well-ventilated area, but out of the wind because you don't want your work pieces being blown around. 2-3 thin coats are better than one thick. It generally dries pretty fast (like 10-20 mins). Just bear in mind that it stinks for a couple of days afterwards as the solvents continue to evaporate off as the stuff cures. By 3-4 days later, the smell will totally be gone, but you might want to have a 'stash' location to leave them in until they're done (basement / attic / garage / shed) as otherwise they will stink up your game box in the meantime.

The pva/woodglue suggestion would probably work too, just make sure you get one that dries clear and doesn't yellow (this applies to the acrylic as well, btw). With the woodglue, you'd also have to be careful about 'working' it too much -- just brush it on to the point where it's even and leave it to dry. If you work it around too much, for too long, you're likely to start scuffing-up and disintegrating the paper / card (you'll have quite a bit of leeway before this happens, though, so don't let it put you off). This one might be easier if you don't have the room / facilities for spraying / curing, or want the after-stench. You just brush it on carefully.

In both cases, you'll probably need to raise-up the work-pieces somehow as you don't want to glue the pieces to whatever they're sitting on (I often use small bits of dowel to rest them on).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:

Watered down wood glue, brushed over the surface.

Preschool teacher here, so I always have Mod Podge on hand. Works great on stickers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Breese
msg tools
What about for a game like Catacombs? Do any of these treatment affect the way the piece might move across the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.