Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of curious.

I was checking the stats on the number of plays recorded for 18EA.

I have seventy.

The next person has forty.

I don't even own the game. I just play with friends, usually on Tuesdays but occasionally on other days.

Do you all not like this game enough to play it regularly?

I like it, though I'm not really that good at it (my timing is terrible and I just can't give up companies). And it has such great replayability to it because of its random setup.

So with just a couple of wins under my belt why am I the player who's reported the most plays?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't be disappointed to play the game very regularly but with collections of other 18XX games that also want to be tabled at some point, that's impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people play a variety of 18xx games rather than focus on one.

(I'm not one of them, though; more than half of my 18xx plays are of 1846!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutton
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still probably the 18xx game I'm most likely to win - which isn't saying much, but hey - but I'm usually knee-deep in play-testing 1833.3333 these days, so the game we played last weekend was my first for a while. Personally I never update my play stats, for the same reason I don't use Twitter. I suspect I'm not the only one.

But I play 62/EA at least 2-3 times a year even now I have other game designs to distract me. This is for someone who only manages to host game sessions once a month

I'm glad you enjoy the game. I'll try to put a few more play sessions with pics on in future. I'm just usually concentrating too hard on how I lost/won to worry about posterity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like 1862, it has a lot going for it, especially for a shorter 18XX game. I prefer 1817 (and a variant that my local group has developed), but there is also 1880, 1846, 18OE, 1870, 18EU... and I just picked up a copy of 1844/1854 so I want to try that out. So many good 18XX games, why limit yourself to just one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Leifr wrote:
Do you all not like this game enough to play it regularly?

I've not played it in a few years and am unlikely to play it again. Then again, I also don't record plays. Most of what I play these days are prototypes and random games I'm investigating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimmo Leivo
Finland
Siilinjarvi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love 1862 and I'm only at 14 plays. There's only one player in my gaming group who wants to play 18xx on a regular basis. Occasionally we might find a player or two to play 18xx and possibly 1862. If I had more 18xx players 1862 would be played much more often for sure. 1862 is not the best version if there's 18xx newbies in the game.

I attend several conventions in order to play 18xx but still there might be only about five players interested in 18xx and some of them don't like 1862. I also like to play different 18xx titles (about 80 titles including variants at the moment) and some of my gaming buddies will play 18xx only if it's a new title for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect a variety of reasons but one of the most likely being many 18xx players don't record plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Begy
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
I study games and gamers at the Technoculture, Art and Games research centre at Concordia University, Montreal.
badge
I hate bowling. It's just multiplayer solitaire.
mbmbmbmbmb
Recorded plays is a pretty bad metric for how popular a game is. I've been board gaming regularly for 10 years and have never recorded a single play. In my group of about 20 people only 1 records plays.

FWIW I enjoy 1862 and have played it 4 or 5 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorrellbo wrote:
I suspect a variety of reasons but one of the most likely being many 18xx players don't record plays.

Recording your plays isn't bragging. It's giving other people a sense of games that are fun/good to play.

After all, just because you played a game doesn't mean you won it.

Sigh. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make Mike Hutton richer, record plays of 18EA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Heck, most 18xx players don't use BGG and you expect them to also record plays?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.