Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve not got close to a campaign yet (though it’s only a matter of time). I want to play each scenario on each map before I tackle that. Until I get to that point I will continue to kick around some ideas of ways in which I might tackle it. That way, when I get there, I’ll have a pretty clear idea of what I want to do.

Here is what I am considering:

d10-1 Play out 30 days with a budget of $200k. Each day roll a die to randomly determine the map. Roll two dice to randomly determine the scenario. All in accordance with the official rules so far.

d10-2 The campaign ends in immediate defeat if any unit is killed.

d10-3 The campaign ends in immediate defeat if any urban hex is destroyed in turn 2 or later (where turn 0 is defined to be the turn in which ignition occurs). I do not want to lose a long campaign to an unfortunately located ignition that leaves me no hope of salvaging the situation. If a fire starts in such a spot then I will assume that my superiors will be inclined to show me some leniency! I figure that I may not be able to do much about the loss of an urban hex on turn 1 because fire growth occurs before the resource phase in the turn sequence.

d10-4 If the fire escapes then I will incur an immediate financial penalty (perhaps $100k) with all other costs for the scenario waived. I don't want this to result in another auto-defeat because I've already encountered situations where this outcome seems almost unavoidable. Even so I think the penalty should be cripplingly large to reflect the disaster that has unfolded. I am inclined to waive costs incurred for two reasons. The first is so that I can have some fun trying to salvage the situation (I don't want to find myself allowing a fire to escape in order to save money). The second is that the ensuing costs to control an escaped fire will inevitably cause my minor expenditure to pail into insignificance. It would seem a bit like budgeting for the drawing pins at Google. I don't suppose a financial penalty is particularly thematic but I think it will serve as a suitably gamey consequence.

I am hopeful that these rules will allow me to complete the campaign game more often than not (even if I do go horrendously over-budget) but I reckon I will have fun trying to better my previous performances.

Would welcome the thoughts of more experienced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Anderson
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
I have not played a campaign either (i certainly have gone through the motions) but what you describe seems to make sense.

Roll a die for the map (roll again for 5, 6). Roll two dice for the scenario (take the lower number). Start with a $200K budget (hey I made that up way back when).

The only other comment I have is if the fire appears to be heading towards a map edge, randomly select a second map to join it in the direction of spread. The maps are geomorphic with the western-most maps edges matching the easternmost; likewise the northermos the matching the southernmost. Let the fire keep burning and keep fighting it because it ain't goin' away on its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Halfway through a campaign now. Hope to knock out a few more days soon. With that in mind:

d10-1 From a game play perspective the financial metric used to determine success is fine, though I would tweak it a bit. Perhaps instead of a fixed amount a "improve on your previous score" may work well. I am in general not a fan of this type of victory condition, but I favor it currently in this case.

I have a desire to create a variant that is entirely different, but I don't have that fleshed out enough to discuss.

d10-2 Generally in favor of this as such an event will often draw those involved out of their current role for a while as they are involved in resolving the effects of the loss of life, even if it isn't a career ender. As a caveat, and as discussed elsewhere (both by you and I in separate places), I modify the evacuation / entrapment rules a bit to allow for a greater chance of escape.

d10-3 I am inclined to be much less harsh on the player for loss of an urban hex (structures) than either your variant or the game rules. Most fire response organizations that I am aware of do not punish employees when structures are lost. Sometimes structures are lost because of poor choices by responders, but often the real culprit is that the structure was built in a poor location or the home and adjacent land was not maintained as fire safe by the landowner.

As a game play metric I think the official rules are pretty good for a gaming experience. I think your variant is a small but appropriate improvement in regard to game play. My desire to alter even further is based on personal preference as influenced by experience, not based primarily on game play.

d10-4 Similar to d10-3 above, I would like to alter this campaign end condition but am not quite sure how to implement yet. I do like your idea about imposing a financial penalty and ending the firefight as far as the player is concerned. This represents a realistic and simple way to simulate the fire transitioning to a larger incident management team and the initial incident commander being replaced. Not necessarily a negative thing, because sometimes it happens through no fault of the initial responder.

More later, out of time now. Good discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted a different variant over here: Fire Season Variant.

I didn't want to hijack your thread, Steve. Nor is my variant intended to push yours to the side. After starting my campaign again today and losing I decided to put to pen the thoughts I've had floating around for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries, Ryan. I had no intention of my variant becoming the gold standard. I just wanted to stimulate some discussion on the campaign game because that is what I see myself playing long-term.

I've skim-read your post but don't really have time to digest it fully right now. I'll try to get back to it tomorrow when I can give it the attention it deserves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.