11 Posts

Brass» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Marvelous Boardgame from Martin Wallace Now Has iOS Port rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Young
Canada
flag msg tools
Brass is one of my all time favorite boardgames and I was very excited to see it released for the iPad. My first impression was of a very pretty rendition of the board-game. All the information is available on one screen and the GUI is well designed after you get to know the details. A tutorial is provided which is reasonably well done only lacking some strategy tips. You can play solo in either a three or four player game. I assume you can substitute other humans for the AI when wishing to play in the hot-seat mode, although you can't name the humans you just have to remember your colour assignment(?!?). Not being able to choose your colour in the three player game (Green just goes away) and not being able to give your player character a name is really odd as this is standard in every other game app I own. How that is going to work online I have yet to experience...

Played many times now: all solitaire with me as only human. I've played some three player games but much prefer the four player game, so the majority have been four player. The most obvious first impression of the solitaire mode is that the team that designed the AI routines couldn't have been very experienced players. Way too many level one cotton mills and not a lot of patience before delivering cotton (action inefficiency), and what seems to be an extreme reluctance to spend two cards to do something important when up against the gun. At the end of the four player games most of the AI players were passing instead of taking a two-card action or building over their own tiles.

So far, other than being really pretty (worth repeating), the only thing that this has going over the online website (Order of the Hammer) is the ability to play solo (ideally to hone your skills) - but that one feature is severely hampered by the dismal AI programming. I hope this game will be supported, and some serious tweaking of the AI contemplated - they do say a "Log" function is being planned, so my hope is that they will roll some AI improvements into that release...

Edit note: Alright! The latest update has really fixed the game dramatically. In addition to the log function, the AI is now very respectable and should impress even tournament veterans with the level of play. Well done!! Rating going right up - I recommend this game unreservedly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't seem like a videogame to me but that's the age old argument here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
flag msg tools
Well no, I wouldn't have said so either. It is a board-game ported to devices. It looks and plays exactly the same as if you were playing on the board. Threads about this and other really popular board-games that have similar ports usually start out on BGG and get kicked over here despite the fact we are talking about the very same subject (with natural idiosyncrasies particular to the respective mediums).

What a lot of more traditional video-gamers often remark upon, when discussing these ports, is the lack of a "save game" function. This is understandable but shows the lack of distinction between what I think of as a video game and what these device ports represent. Whenever one has a key decision to make video-gamers instinctively save their games so they can go back and try a different path. In a board-game, if you get a bad die roll, there are no do-overs. So it should be and most ports are true to that philosophy.

Personally, I don't like that these things are over here. My Geek buddies are still the same but I have to start all over - Geek Gold should be transferable as should all your badges and Avatars. But I'm new here and it looks like this is not a new discussion. So, oh well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bubslug1 wrote:
Personally, I don't like that these things are over here. My Geek buddies are still the same but I have to start all over - Geek Gold should be transferable as should all your badges and Avatars. But I'm new here and it looks like this is not a new discussion. So, oh well...
Say what? Did you create a new account just for VGG? You can use your BGG account for all three domains. You do have to specifically sign in to each domain, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I use the same account. Just have to log in twice, once on each site. My avatar, badges, etc. are all the same. Even my quick bar links at the same. If I edit on VGG or BGG it applies to both. No extra work besides logging in two different sites with the same account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
flag msg tools
Well, looks like I screwed up when I used a different handle for my VGG account. Is there any way to undo that and combine the accounts after the fact?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
flag msg tools
I tried setting up a new account with my BGG screen name and it wouldn't let me ("name already in use")...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
flag msg tools
I logged into BGG and came over to VGG and tried signing in again and it bounced me...maybe it's changed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've heard there is no way to "combine" stats from different accounts. I'm not sure why you're having trouble logging in. I would try logging out of everything one more time, and try logging in to VGG first. Again, it's the same username and password as your BGG account. (I say "BGG acount", but it's really one account for all three domains.)

If you're still having trouble, contact an admin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Right - finally figured it out sheesh! Beta Feature?
Now I have to figure out how to nuc the other new account (Bubslug1)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:
Right - finally figured it out sheesh! Beta Feature?
Now I have to figure out how to nuc the other new account (Bubslug1)
Contact
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.