Subject: Hex tiles Battletech-like game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
I was reminded of playing some of the Battletech-like computer games a while ago (particularly the poorly named MissionForce: CyberStorm) by Chaz Marler's recent top 100 favorite games list. It was fun to acquire and upgrade your mechs, then stomp around and have a tactical battle with others where you have to take into consideration power usage, armor, etc.

I'm not keen on getting into miniatures, so I'm only interested in a game which uses hex tiles (like Neuroshima Hex). And I'd want something that has the economic element of improving and loading out my machines as an equal component of the game as the tactical component. Ideally, the game would play reasonably deterministic so that it doesn't take as long (I don't mind rolling dice, I just find that it slows the game down, and I'd rather be able to get a few different fights/shopping/loadout sessions into a 3 hour evening than just one.)

Does such a game exist? Even close? I couldn't find anything via the Advanced Search feature except a bunch of wargames (WWII, etc.) and Sentinel Tactics: The Flame of Freedom, neither of which is terribly close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bermondsey Battler
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds like you sort of want a battletech/mechwarrior combo. Older battletech just used cards instead of minis and there was a lot of stuff in mechwarrior for campaign rules over time. If you arent violently opposed to minis, battletech does come with like 25, which is more than enough for my son and i to play some basic battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bermondsey Battler
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
battler44 wrote:
Sounds like you sort of want a battletech/mechwarrior combo. Older battletech just used card printed mechs instead of minis and there was a lot of stuff in mechwarrior for campaign rules over time. If you arent violently opposed to minis, battletech does come with like 25, which is more than enough for my son and i to play some basic battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe I'll check it out, but even besides the minis, I feel like I'd have to strip back the rules quite extensively to make the level of in-game management be more comparable to your player board in Hansa Teutonica than trying to simulate a computer game on paper, with pencil and eraser.

I'm really looking for something more like Advanced Neuroshima Hex than Small Warhammer 40K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you find or design such a game, let me know i'd be interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
abodi wrote:
if you find or design such a game, let me know i'd be interested.

I'm thinking about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalyzerOfGames wrote:
Maybe I'll check it out, but even besides the minis, I feel like I'd have to strip back the rules quite extensively to make the level of in-game management be more comparable to your player board in Hansa Teutonica than trying to simulate a computer game on paper, with pencil and eraser.

I'm really looking for something more like Advanced Neuroshima Hex than Small Warhammer 40K

Have you looked at BattleTech: Alpha Strike? My understanding is that it is a simplified, faster Battletech experience.

(I don't play Battletech, but my husband does.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.