Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An odd situation came up in our first games which I thought interesting enough to bring up, in case there is an official or fair interpretation of the rules around it.

I was firing my gun, which generated 3 hits each time. I rolled all wounds, and looked up at the board - oh, only 2 aliens remained in range. As I reached out to remove those 2 aliens, someone moved a third alien right in front of me - oh look, a third casualty!

So question is, at what point should you "lock in" wounds? In my case, I had yet to remove a single miniature from the board - so I justified it that way as a "valid" play.

But then I got thinking, what is the hard line here? If I roll three wounds and I've got nothing in my LOS, can I "hold" those wounds indefinitely, cashing them in only when others had moved three aliens into my LOS? That feels wrong.

But is there a hard line on how soon after rolling wounds must be applied? Are we supposed to be pre-selecting targets BEFORE rolling, and then only applying the wounds to those targets after the dice land? And if so, in that case what happens to aliens that moved OUT of our LOS whilst we were rolling the wounds?

Or... am I just totally overthinking this, and the answer is "meh, just don't take the p*ss, and resolve your hits within 1-2 seconds of rolling them" ?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:
Or... am I just totally overthinking this, and the answer is "meh, just don't take the p*ss, and resolve your hits within 1-2 seconds of rolling them" ?!?

Yep, totally overthinking it. Just do whatever seems reasonable and don't worry too much. We've had many games where I shot an alien and someone else moved it out of range "at the same time". I just said "no wait he's dead move another one" and flicked the carcass off the board.

The game is pretty furious, I wouldn't get hung up on stuff like this, just make whatever decision seems reasonable in the split-second you have to do so .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Phantomwhale wrote:

This.

If you want something more concrete, I'd say that once you roll the wound dice you have to remove models immediatly (ie as the board was at the time of the roll.) But the game can be frantic so I wouldn't over fuss about it.
I wouldn't allow action dice to be rolled until wounds are resolved tho, nor would I allow intentional 'sitting' on wounds. Once they are rolled start killing minis, but if the state of play changes in the 2 seconds that takes to do so be it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sotiris Tsantilas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can kill only the aliens who are in range AT THE TIME YOU ARE ROLLING THE GREEN DICE.
Please note that if you have placed the action dice on the weapon, but you haven't rolled the green dice, someone moves an alien out of range, then you cannot kill him.
On the other hand, you can wait with the weapon armed without rolling the green dice, until you or someone else moves an alien into range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaggelis Vernadakis
Greece
Sitia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you actually have to do the physical move of the dice in the weapon in order that it fires?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evangelos Foskolos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
Keep on Gaming
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you need to place the dice on the weapon in order to fire it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys - was totally over-thinking, but thanks also to the designers for chipping in.

Pretty much no change, but will clarify to the group that if an alien is gone before you roll the green dice; too late, it moved. But otherwise once the wound dice are down, I think I'm totally in favour of the "sorry, that one you're moving, I just killed it - find a new one to move!"

And re: moving weapon dice, not only is it part of the game (e.g. a very minor overhead to shooting) but given how BAD your bookkeeping skills become in real time, I recommend it's mandatory. Far too many "wait, did I use up all my shots?" moments coming from my players that weren't moving their dice.

We also insisted anyone with a 1+ wounding gun STILL needs to roll the green dice. Partly as the overhead of doing the physical action, but also now regarding the discussion above, this helps reduce the window of "wait, was that guy still in my LOS when I fired ?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff wrote:
Phantomwhale wrote:

Yep, totally overthinking it. Just do whatever seems reasonable and don't worry too much. We've had many games where I shot an alien and someone else moved it out of range "at the same time". I just said "no wait he's dead move another one" and flicked the carcass off the board.

The game is pretty furious, I wouldn't get hung up on stuff like this, just make whatever decision seems reasonable in the split-second you have to do so .

same here..
many times I`m going with the intention to kill.. and then the alien is move out.. or I move an alien when my bf is shooting with a super weapon and he goes NOOOOOOOOOO

is funny... and I just put it back as a LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.