andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So as far as I can tell, both major party candidates are particularly unfit for office of ruler of the world (or at least, Most Influential World Ruler). The dis-satisfaction with Ms Clinton is obvious and I'm not sure the "vote for me, or he'll get in" campaign is 100% fool proof. So I think the Sycophant hair cut has a pretty good chance of making the grade.

I feel if Hillary got in, you'd expect to see the usual amount of tax payers money funneled off to corporate interests. Maybe a modest increase as we all know a countries economy will will become a steaming heap of dung without them. Yay for the corporate myth that I believe helps keep real small business small and bleeds the free market.

But if the Golden Quiff makes it into the building they could not afford to paint in colour? Well I expect a minor tsunami of taxpayers dollars flowing to the corporate sector. This money will need to come from somewhere and I'm betting it's not going to be the Polished Marble Set?

So given more and more folk are becoming aware of this threat to the free market and the bottom end of society will be doing it a few percent tougher than usual. How long before this all comes to a head? History shows us The People will alway rise up when the disparity between the haves and have nots gets too big.

Also the US is clearly a place where a significant number of folk are comfortable solving their problems with a gun. So how many generations do you think it will be before the shooting starts?

It would be nice to think the democratic process there will swing things back before this happens.. But I think there is way too many dollars in US politics for the Kings there to allow that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
Gotta admit, your handle and the context of your post in context made me laugh ><
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
antiussentiment wrote:
Also the US is clearly a place where a significant number of folk are comfortable solving their problems with a gun.

The Aussie method of burning down occupied buildings is much more PC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
antiussentiment wrote:
Also the US is clearly a place where a significant number of folk are comfortable solving their problems with a gun.

Koldfoot wrote:

The Aussie method of burning down occupied buildings is much more PC.
surprise That's JUST plain 'Waco~"A"~Doodle'!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Haven't looked it up for a while, but Aussie mass-killing arsonists kill more people than US mass shooters. Nursing homes were a target the last time this issue came up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
antiussentiment wrote:
How ELSE does "hiding-out child" become Deported?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Koldfoot wrote:
Haven't looked it up for a while, but Aussie mass-killing arsonists kill more people than US mass shooters. Nursing homes were a target the last time this issue came up.
'Midget'-"TOSSERS" no longer could conduct SUCH, so, these instead now: "TOSS another 'shrimp' on the Bar-B!" whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
antiussentiment wrote:
So as far as I can tell, both major party candidates are particularly unfit for office of ruler of the world (or at least, Most Influential World Ruler). The dis-satisfaction with Ms Clinton is obvious and I'm not sure the "vote for me, or he'll get in" campaign is 100% fool proof. So I think the Sycophant hair cut has a pretty good chance of making the grade.

I feel if Hillary got in, you'd expect to see the usual amount of tax payers money funneled off to corporate interests. Maybe a modest increase as we all know a countries economy will will become a steaming heap of dung without them. Yay for the corporate myth that I believe helps keep real small business small and bleeds the free market.

But if the Golden Quiff makes it into the building they could not afford to paint in colour? Well I expect a minor tsunami of taxpayers dollars flowing to the corporate sector. This money will need to come from somewhere and I'm betting it's not going to be the Polished Marble Set?

So given more and more folk are becoming aware of this threat to the free market and the bottom end of society will be doing it a few percent tougher than usual. How long before this all comes to a head? History shows us The People will alway rise up when the disparity between the haves and have nots gets too big.

Also the US is clearly a place where a significant number of folk are comfortable solving their problems with a gun. So how many generations do you think it will be before the shooting starts?

It would be nice to think the democratic process there will swing things back before this happens.. But I think there is way too many dollars in US politics for the Kings there to allow that?

Technology and a decent life has made civil war unlikely. At best little outbreaks of less than a hundred extremists with no support from the U.S. military.

Also, Clinton is fit for office. She'll be a good president. There was similar talk (and many guns purchased) before obama was elected.

Actual extremists are probably less than 1% of the population and any major group of them probably has one or more undercover agents somewhere in the network and those 1% are highly concentrated in particular states. Concentrations in other states are proportionally lower.

That said, any country is probably always only a single generation away from civil war. Things can fall apart fast when the economy takes a dump.

And at least 20% of the trump voters are worrisome. They seem ready for a dictator. And a hitleresque move to take over the government from a leadership position is probably more likely and more dangerous than a civil war. Indeed, many of the factors that make civil war unlikely (surveillance state, militarized police, disrepect of the constitution by secret government agencies) make being voted in and then becoming a dictator or oligarchy more likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
If we could, we'd put guns in their hands while they were still in the womb -- and abortion would become a rare event.

Matricide would be way up, but recidivism would be low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

ONE guy who burned down ONE nursing home does not make "Aussie mass-killing arsonists" a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
antiussentiment wrote:

Technology and a decent life has made civil war unlikely. At best little outbreaks of less than a hundred extremists with no support from the U.S. military.

Also, Clinton is fit for office. She'll be a good president. There was similar talk (and many guns purchased) before obama was elected.

Actual extremists are probably less than 1% of the population and any major group of them probably has one or more undercover agents somewhere in the network and those 1% are highly concentrated in particular states. Concentrations in other states are proportionally lower.

That said, any country is probably always only a single generation away from civil war. Things can fall apart fast when the economy takes a dump.

And at least 20% of the trump voters are worrisome. They seem ready for a dictator. And a hitleresque move to take over the government from a leadership position is probably more likely and more dangerous than a civil war. Indeed, many of the factors that make civil war unlikely (surveillance state, militarized police, disrepect of the constitution by secret government agencies) make being voted in and then becoming a dictator or oligarchy more likely.

Hey thanks for the response to the context of the original post.

The question has been mulling around in my head since a conversation with friends a while ago. I wonder if, as you suggest, the trigger is more economic ruin than massive social divide? Not something we talked institutionally, but a good point. Though I'm still not convinced Hillary is not basically corrupt.

I also find the comments comparing our 3 Molotov cocktail chuckers with your 5 gun owners helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
wifwendell wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

ONE guy who burned down ONE nursing home does not make "Aussie mass-killing arsonists" a thing.

No it wouldn't.

Several instances would though, agreed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I suspect Australians are at least as inherently violent and US folk. And since the government took all the guns away, we just found a use for our left over cheap booze.
~shrugs~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
antiussentiment wrote:
Though I'm still not convinced Hillary is not basically corrupt.

I don't understand this as a justification for the claim that she has some defect uncommon in politics. I'm not saying it's true, but even if it were, the whole point of the honor given to our system of government is that it's designed to harness the self-interest of the elected to do a decent job even when they ARE corrupt. The corruption of politicians is assumed, and the system is supposed to work okay anyway. So how corrupt could she be such that political considerations wouldn't keep her from being at least mediocre is she's fairly smart and calculating (which even her detractors generally concede)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
antiussentiment wrote:
Well I suspect Australians are at least as inherently violent and US folk. And since the government took all the guns away, we just found a use for our left over cheap booze.
~shrugs~

Really? They took all your guns? Do you live somewhere other than Australia?

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/more-guns-and-big...

http://theconversation.com/australias-gun-numbers-climb-men-...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-14/australians-own-as-man...

Oddly enough, I was sitting at the table tonight cleaning one of my Glocks and perusing online gun auctions and in the back of my mind I couldn't shake the dread that there are so many guns in Australia that you guys might be headed toward your first civil war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
antiussentiment wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
antiussentiment wrote:

The question has been mulling around in my head since a conversation with friends a while ago. I wonder if, as you suggest, the trigger is more economic ruin than massive social divide? Not something we talked institutionally, but a good point. Though I'm still not convinced Hillary is not basically corrupt.

I also find the comments comparing our 3 Molotov cocktail chuckers with your 5 gun owners helpful.

We have many sober, serious, responsible gun owners. And we have gun owners who just love guns. The number of unstable gun owners is low to minuscule. I won't own a gun personally and I think the 2nd amendment is toast in terms of stopping government tyranny. But I get why the founding fathers felt it was so important.

---

Desperate people revolt. If you have a job, entertainment to play or watch, freedom to have sex as you like it is only irritating that others are taking an unreasonably large slice of the pie. It's when you have no pie that you stab the fucking fork in their eye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
antiussentiment wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
antiussentiment wrote:

Clinton seems more corrupt than she is due to 20 years of right wing propaganda. She's not really any different than many senators, representatives and some presidents in terms of her corruption level. And I believe from her actions- that she places the greater good above her personal good on many, many levels. I believe she wants America to be a better place and a reasonable, dependable world citizen.

We constantly get feedback from wealthy republicans that they care so little about the country that raising their taxes 10% would be enough for them to denounce their citizenship and move elsewhere. I do not think Clinton would do that. I've had to dig into her a lot this campaign and so far I've liked what I saw.

I would have never known about the clinton foundation and how good it is compared to other charities and how much good it does in the world if not for misleading statements and outright lies by republicans.

I think she's a patriot while her opponent is a unbalanced, ignorant draft dodging poltroon who cares little for the country and his fellow citizens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

An Australian government report in 2015 indicated 123 arson homicides from 1989 to 2010. Not per year, total. Note that's not just mass killing arsonists, but all of them.

In July this year, mass shootings in the USA, defined as four or more deaths (and many definitions are wider) had reached 874 in just half a year.

Even if you allow for a 14 times larger US population, we're talking per person twenty times as many deaths from mass shooting in the US as all arson in Australia.

There may be some subtleties lost there. But clearly your suggestion is very wrong. As expected - I went looking as the claim just didn't appear credible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

An Australian government report in 2015 indicated 123 arson homicides from 1989 to 2010. Not per year, total. Note that's not just mass killing arsonists, but all of them.

In July this year, mass shootings in the USA, defined as four or more deaths (and many definitions are wider) had reached 874 in just half a year.

Even if you allow for a 14 times larger US population, we're talking per person twenty times as many deaths from mass shooting in the US as all arson in Australia.

There may be some subtleties lost there. But clearly your suggestion is very wrong. As expected - I went looking as the claim just didn't appear credible.

Koldfoot never lets facts get in the way of a good snark. He's talking about one individual who killed 11 in 2011 by setting fire to 2 nursing homes. It's gone in his casual racist memory bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools
antiussentiment wrote:

Sure. People always rise up. Because Hollywood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
DavidDearlove wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Koldfoot never lets facts get in the way of a good snark. He's talking about one individual who killed 11 in 2011 by setting fire to 2 nursing homes. It's gone in his casual racist memory bank.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Austral...

Wikipedia lists 8 mass murders from 2009 -2014

That would be 112 at 14x the population, or 18 each year.

And yes, as I recall from the last time I cared to look, one was more likely to die at the hands of an arsonist in a mass murder in Australia than murdered in the US by a gun in a mass shooting.

Murders are dramatically on the rise in democrat, gun-controlled shitholes in recent years. Numbers may have changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb

maxo-texas wrote:

Maybe nearer … I understand that it is thought that a 7-day* interruption in the food supply could cause that.

* 7 days is probably an aggressive estimate - but I could easily go with 14 days or less if there is no apparent solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

We have many sober, serious, responsible gun owners. And we have gun owners who just love guns. The number of unstable gun owners is low to minuscule. I won't own a gun personally and I think the 2nd amendment is toast in terms of stopping government tyranny. But I get why the founding fathers felt it was so important.

I don't think it's crazies and unstables that do most of the shooting in a revolution. If that's how it worked there'd possibly never have been a revolution in the history of the planet. Revolutions only work(or start) when normal people pickup weapons..

maxo-texas wrote:

Desperate people revolt. If you have a job, entertainment to play or watch, freedom to have sex as you like it is only irritating that others are taking an unreasonably large slice of the pie. It's when you have no pie that you stab the fucking fork in their eye.

Yeah i think this is a very good point.
And i love your metaphor..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Austral...

Wikipedia lists 8 mass murders from 2009 -2014

That would be 112 at 14x the population, or 18 each year.

And yes, as I recall from the last time I cared to look, one was more likely to die at the hands of an arsonist in a mass murder in Australia than murdered in the US by a gun in a mass shooting.

Murders are dramatically on the rise in democrat, gun-controlled shitholes in recent years. Numbers may have changed.

Hang on you were talking about arson. There are 3 arson mass murders on that list. Total. One in 2000, one in 2009 and one in 2011. Then you change the goalposts as usual to include all mass murders.
So if you think " one was more likely to die at the hands of an arsonist in a mass murder in Australia than murdered in the US by a gun in a mass shooting."
Then you are basically stupid or a deliberate liar.
You are more likely to be killed by a mass murderer in the US in January and February 2016 that by an arsonist in Australia ever.
The trouble with you Americans is that you don't understand how odd your warzone gun homicide rates look like to outsiders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
Strauss and Howe have predicted a major shake-up in the US in the next few years. They base it on their "Generations" theory.

The theory may be a little weak. And tech change may have changed the dynamic between the generations. Who does the raising and how they do it can account for the fact that there do seem to be age classes in America. The most famous being the Baby Boomers, but also the Greatest Generation and the Millennials.

I hope they are right though. America has gone far down the wrong path. The good of the mass of the people no longer matters to the leadership.

If the theory can be expanded to include Europe*, then we can see that the American and the French Revolutions were part of the same cycle. Since Europeans have it worse than the American people, this time it may start in Europe and spread to N. America.

But, I don't see it as a civil war, rather a series of riots and a series of elections where an honest progressive demi-god wins and sweeps out Congress too.

. * . A pretty big 'if'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.