Subject: Any reason to get the original gaming mat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott G
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I kick started TEGBtB and am adding the original game, which I have never played, as well as the TEGBtB game mat. The TEGBtB mat appears different from the original TEG mat, and has places for pilots and not planets.

When playing TEGBtB, would you benefit from having the original mat, or is the original mat replaced by the Beyond the Black mat?

Thanks,
Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to get these, but it's hard to spend as much for a mat that won't fit in the box as the entire game cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a completionist compulsion. Discovering BGG has only made matters worse as I was previously oblivious to the special tokens, convention promotions, and KS exclusives. Now, I am going back and trying to add things to games that are a few years old. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Leach
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion mat is not meant to replace the original mat, if you want everything you'll need both. The mats are a bit expensive but they're neoprene and nice to play on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot play TEG:BtB without playing including the base game.

The Mat for the base game holds the spots for the dice and the planets while the mat for the expansion will only hold the spots for the pilots and the space exploration.

Each mat will be used if you play the game plus the expansion.

As previously mentioned, one of the big draws to this series is how easy they are to transport (tiny) and how much fun they are (epic). The mats will make the game foot print larger, will be one more thing to carry and will almost double your game investment.

Your call though. It will make picking up cards easier.

This is one of my favorite games and very happy to back the expansion too. Luckiliy there is not much needed to "complete" these games and they are easy to obtain.

I understand your completionist feelings but I was able to dissuade myself from the mats by knowing that they add nothing really to the gameplay.

Also, never get into Zombicide. You will not come out alive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the mat months ago when it first came out, it's great and much better than the tiny card you get in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Given the compelling arguments, I decided to not get the mats. It seemed a bit hokey to have two mats. Had they made a single mat that worked with the expansion I would have opted to get it. I also understand the mat makes a game designed to be tiny, less so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romy Cat
msg tools
Vistatownsend.net
badge
Vistatownsend.net
mbmbmbmbmb
After much debating back and forth, I did get the mat for Beyond the Black, but not for the original. The game came in today and I must say the mat is breathtaking awesome. With it, I don't need the score mat or the drone card as the mat has both printed on it. All the new additions for the expansion are organized very clearly on the mat.

Since I don't have the original mat, we just place the planets below the Beyond the Black mat, right under the pilots. Game still looks great without the first mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
will anderson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first started playing TEG, I was using the mat while I got a hang of the game. My last few play thrus have been without the mat to save space, and it wasn't an issue.

I'll most likely play with the BtB mat and no base game mat mainly due to the amount of space both mats would take up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.