$60.00
$20.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Losing a doctor's bag rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Luckily this hasn't come up.
But since the bag has weight, it very well could.
I don't remember seeing anywhere in town to buy a doctor's bag, and its a unique starting item that does a lot to make the frontier doc, well a doctor.

What happens if you lose it? Are you just sol?
I saw the cowboy sheet had a line about replacing the lasso, but I saw no such line on the Doc's.

Do you think it'd be reasonable to let a frontier doc buy a new bag for twice the selling price on the card?
Or, should a doc who has lost his/her bag just suck it up?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooperton wrote:
Luckily this hasn't come up.
But since the bag has weight, it very well could.
I don't remember seeing anywhere in town to buy a doctor's bag, and its a unique starting item that does a lot to make the frontier doc, well a doctor.

What happens if you lose it? Are you just sol?
I saw the cowboy sheet had a line about replacing the lasso, but I saw no such line on the Doc's.

Do you think it'd be reasonable to let a frontier doc buy a new bag for twice the selling price on the card?
Or, should a doc who has lost his/her bag just suck it up?


I'd make it available at twice the price, at any Doctor's Office.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can't find it right now, but one of the Hill's clarified about starting items in a post. They cannot be traded and there is a rule about repurchasing missing starting gear. This came up in a post about losing the Prospector's Heavy pick axe, which would really hinder him.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njep wrote:
I can't find it right now, but one of the Hill's clarified about starting items in a post. They cannot be traded and there is a rule about repurchasing missing starting gear. This came up in a post about losing the Prospector's Heavy pick axe, which would really hinder him.

I heard him say it at Gen Con. He said it wasn't "official" yet or anything, but he was likely going to make a rule that Starting Gear can't be traded and if you lose it you can buy it again in Town for some permutation of the price on the card (maybe equal to?).

This actually DID happen to me - lost the bag in the river. The ruling at our table (taking Jason's words into account) is currently: If the item is available for you to buy in the current Town somewhere (like the General Store or the Smuggler's Den), you have to go there to get it. Otherwise, the above rule applies; you can buy it back at any time for the cost printed on the card.

- Jee
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good to know there's a semi-official word on this.
Paying twice the printed cost on the card at a dr office seems reasonable to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Inspector Jee wrote:
njep wrote:
I can't find it right now, but one of the Hill's clarified about starting items in a post. They cannot be traded and there is a rule about repurchasing missing starting gear. This came up in a post about losing the Prospector's Heavy pick axe, which would really hinder him.

I heard him say it at Gen Con. He said it wasn't "official" yet or anything, but he was likely going to make a rule that Starting Gear can't be traded and if you lose it you can buy it again in Town for some permutation of the price on the card (maybe equal to?).

This actually DID happen to me - lost the bag in the river. The ruling at our table (taking Jason's words into account) is currently: If the item is available for you to buy in the current Town somewhere (like the General Store or the Smuggler's Den), you have to go there to get it. Otherwise, the above rule applies; you can buy it back at any time for the cost printed on the card.

- Jee


I like the idea of getting it back from the Smuggler's Den.

In walks the Prospector to find his darkstone grip Heavy Pickaxe sitting in a corner.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
The Doc's rules say that if the *Collection Jar* is lost for any reason, that it may be replaced by paying its listed cost at the Doc's Office or Doc's Tent in any town.

I would just use that for any similar item lost selecting any relevant location. Though I can also see doubling the listed cost, but then again, the times when you can actually buy gear or artifacts, it's generally at the listed sell cost (with some cases adding a D6xC value added).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
Hill's proto-errata was referenced in a thread about me losing a prospectors axe.

As stated above, it was that starting items cannot be traded and may be repurchased at any town location for their cost listed on the card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a hole in the game. I saw something similar happen to DVang on YouTube. He lost an outlaw pistol and was about 20 episodes getting another and only did when he used the Frontier Town for the first time.

You should either NOT be able to lose a starting item OR have a way to replace it. You shouldn't be hit with this just because the game designers didn't think of it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MT Dav

Maryland
msg tools
I've added so much to the gear deck I use that at one point it was just natural to add the starting gear as well. I have all the mine heroes gear rolled into the mine gear and the Jargono heroes equipment to the Jargono artifact deck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
This is a hole in the game. I saw something similar happen to DVang on YouTube. He lost an outlaw pistol and was about 20 episodes getting another and only did when he used the Frontier Town for the first time.

You should either NOT be able to lose a starting item OR have a way to replace it. You shouldn't be hit with this just because the game designers didn't think of it.

Yeah, I think that rule will become official (or something like it). It's only a matter of time - for the reasons you mentioned. He was probably hesitant to make it official until he was sure there wasn't a better way to do it. As written, it's pretty band-aid-y. It robs individual buildings of any reason to sell certain items.

For instance, no one will ever buy a Hunting Rifle from the General Store under this paradigm - the Starting One is much cheaper, and you can buy it anywhere, if you're a Rancher. And if you're not, then there are vastly superior ways to spend the same amount of money.

The same is true of the Hold-Out Pistol (pending more Performer classes or some way to get the Performer Keyword) and the Sheriff/Marshal Badges. If you don't need a Sheriff's Station to retrieve them if lost/swapped-for-a-different-badge, then why are they there? Answer: cause Jason's original intent was probably to fix this issue by including all the Starting Gear somewhere in Town, but then realized it was untenable because he would have to plan pretty far in advance for the new classes. Or include new buildings with new classes that needed Starting Gear that wasn't in the game yet (this would be awesome, but its also a ton of work).

Having Starting Gear be At-Risk - like any other piece of Gear - is an awesome mechanic. You can choose to gamble on not losing it, spend time and effort on protecting it via skilled choices, spend the resources to have a backup strapped to you (or an Ally), or some combination of the above tactics. Those are srsly interesting choices and they should be preserved if at all possible.

If I had to fix this, I would do it like the Doc's Specimen Jar. Put something on each card NOT already available in Town somewhere that says how it can be recovered. You then release errata for all the Starting Gear this affects from previous sets (Carbine, Doc's Bag, Dynamite Satchel, etc) and then redact the pre-ruling that says you can just buy anything anywhere. Recovering those items doesn't even have to be purely price/building related. It could be something like "go to Camp Site, try to either Wheel-n'-Deal (Cunning 6+) or employ your Know-How (Lore 6+) in order to find another {THING YOU LOST}, if successful pay price on card and take the thing, 1 try per Visit"

This gives you agency and choice in the matter (more gameplay), and also preserves the threat of Starting Gear loss as a challenging mechanic (even more gameplay).

- Jee
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.