XenoShyft: Onslaught» Forums » General

Subject: Balance Issues rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Sacher
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I like Xenoshyft Onslaught, but the game has balance issues in my opinion.

For example in tier 2 the Paratrooper is by far the best troop. Its ability to deploy at instant speed makes it effectively immune to reveal effects. Additionally, the monster abilities like "this creature does its damage to the first 2 troops in line" or "deals damage to all troops in line" or "deals the remaining damage to the next troop in line" also don't effect it. Its instant speed deploy also lets you use it to help team mates. On top of all that its 5 damage scales much more usefully in wave 3 then the other troops. Give it a weapon and it can kill most wave 3 troops. Give it a rocket launcher and you don't need any wave 3 troops at all anymore. Seriously I played a game where I bought just paratroopsers and rocket launchers and just WRECKED wave 3 monsters easily. No big robots needed.

Conversely in wave 3 the Defender MK-IV exo suit is virtually worthless. Its ability doesn't even prevent damage. It just takes the damage instead. Its own damage is a joke for wave 3 and having a lot of hit points is not actually useful. I have played this troop as the armory giving it the best armor. With that is has 15 hp. It still dies to 2 hits from virtually any wave 3 monster. Combine that with monster like the

Berserker [6/8] - This enemy gains additional power equal to the total amount of damage on it.

Bile Slug [4/8] - If this enemy damages a troop, burn that troop and deal the base 3 damage.

Deathspur [6/6] - This enemy fights the last troop in lane instead of the first. If this enemy survives a combat, immediately discard it and deal the base 6 damage. (your MK-IV would logically be in the back)

Swarm Caller [2/10] - If this enemy is attacked and isn't killed, or it attacks the base, immediately discard it and add 2 enemies face-down to the end of the enemy lane.

It would be one thing if there were also monsters that hosed high damage troops to counteract this, but there aren't. MK-IV is just bad. Finally the game doesn't eve come with enough damage tokens to effectively run 15 hp troops. As if they knew nobody would field this thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
It's true that I value Paratrooper the highest among wave 2 units and the Defender the lowest among wave 3, but that doesn't mean Paratrooper is a the only unit worth buying and the Defender is never worth buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Cook
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The things with thoughts like this is if you ask other people (that you don't play with) you'll get different broken or op things. When I play if I just want to win then I just buy shocktroops. I find next to no use for any other unit.

But if I'm just messing around I'll buy guys based on theme at that time.

The game isn't always well balanced, but thay are working on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I also tend to buy shock troopers over paratroopers, I think they are a solid mainline unit. Paratroopers are quite good, but fill more of a niche, I usually only buy maybe 1 or 2 at most. Field medics are next to useless though.

I have seen the Defender Exo Suit get crazy with the Psychogenics expansion. It's hard to set up, but if you can get one with a Rocket Launcher, templar armor, and regeneration they are basically unstoppable in standard combat, though you will need to keep cancel effects around in case of the Shocker, and direct damage available to destroy the Bile Slug. An easier setup is the Defender with Mind Blast, giving it the ability to turn its massive reserve of HP into direct damage. I agree it's probably not as strong and useful as either the Atlas or the Hyperion, but it looks pretty awesome and there is a place for it, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Ito
msg tools
If you guys get the Hero expansion, all units start seeing more play, since you want all of the hero versions of the units you will be more encouraged to use medic and big blue guy from wave 3 to protect the other units to get them promoted.

You guys are missing out big time if you dont have this expansion, makes many items and units alot better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ultimate26 wrote:
If you guys get the Hero expansion, all units start seeing more play, since you want all of the hero versions of the units you will be more encouraged to use medic and big blue guy from wave 3 to protect the other units to get them promoted.

You guys are missing out big time if you dont have this expansion, makes many items and units alot better.

That was Kickstarter exclusive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nertak wrote:
Conversely in wave 3 the Defender MK-IV exo suit is virtually worthless.

I concur. This troop is rather awful considering how awesome the art is.

That said, it shines brightly when paired with several item cards found in Dreadmire. It has a home and a place again imo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.