Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Richer
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a question about an expansion tile, the Loading Dock - how does it work, exactly? It reads:

Move up to 3 whale tokens between your ships. Take 1$ per whale moved.

When does this happen? Presumably both of your ships have to be at sea, not sitting in the harbor waiting to launch.

If you CAN swap between a ship at sea and a ship in the harbour (readied, but not yet at sea) when do you buy/sell away those whales that are now suddenly back home?

This building stumped us on our first play with it. Am I just missing some obvious thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, I think you are missing something obvious (happens to me 20 times a day)! Though the second part of your question raises a good point that needs clarification.

1st Part of Your Question
The action printed on the Loading Dock tile is played the same way as any other action on any other tile is played. When a player puts their meeple on that tile during the action phase, that player executes the action. Simple as that.

If you own the Loading Dock and someone else puts their meeple on it, they owe you a dollar (and vice versa). Same as all the other buildings.

2nd Part of Your Question
And yes, the easy answer is that the player taking the action would have to have both their ships at sea for it to be used. Keep in mind that the action is taken during the Action Phase, so both ships would by definition, have to be out at sea, as no ships can be on the "Return" space during the Action Phase.

But, given the name of the tile, It's a reasonable question to ask if whale tokens can be transported to your boat in the harbor which is waiting to be launched. (i.e., if you're able to do this, those whale tokens you just transferred would have to wait till that boat goes out to sea and then returns during a later Movement phase). I could see this as a tactic if you have an incoming boat but don't have enough money to pay the lay for its whales, so you could transfer a few of them to your other boat which is getting ready to head out to sea... essentially delaying the payment for those whales you transferred.

Will have to let the designer or publisher weigh-in on this part of the question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Wright
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only ships at sea can have whales, I don't think it would work putting a whale in a ship in the harbor, because thematically, that wouldn't be very smart... just lay the darn thing.

I'm curious as well what Nat thinks.

Thanks,
Enoch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, both ships have to be at sea. They could be on any spaces, and the action would occur immediately.
I never considered being able to move whales to an unlaunched ship, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't play that way.
Thematically, it is a tad weak, but we really liked the name as a punny reference to Great Heartland Hauling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Richer
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Nat and for all who helped answer my question. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.