Popular Tags: [View All]
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Here is a link to a news story that I think is just breaking:

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/35699/fantasy-flight-game...

It appears Modiphius will be partnering with Fantasy Flight on this one. This news is interesting to me for a number of reasons:

First, as someone who is not interested in a Kickstarter campaign, this perhaps makes it more likely that some of the smaller expansions will see the light of day in a major distribution channel now that a heavy hitter is involved. This could potentially be great news for those like me who have no interest in pledging for a Kickstarter (there isn't much I see that I would want outside of the main box and the major expansions anyway, which have been stated for retail, but it would be nice to be able to pick up a mini-pack with a miniature or two or three in it to add a little more enemy variety.)

Secondly, as far as I know, this is the first time that FFG has gotten involved in any way in something that has been Kickstarted. I know they've never Kickstarted anything themselves, which I applaud them for, but this is intriguing. We know that the higher-ups there have a love for the IP as they released their own minis game in the Mutant Chronicles universe a number of years ago.

Anyway, seems to be good news! We'll see how it shakes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!

This is huge! It make me ask, how much money could this KS raise if this news was announced couple of weeks ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Squire
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, thanks for the heads-up. Modiphius said that a big announcement was coming up in their last KS update, but said they were waiting for it to break in the US before providing details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keiwa wrote:
Wow!

This is huge! It make me ask, how much money could this KS raise if this news was announced couple of weeks ago.
My thoughts exactly. But the last 48 should blow up completely now

It also makes sense in the light of the FFG/GW split.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thomas
United States
Tn
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Keiwa wrote:
Wow!

I thought the same - being a game that's made by great designers and an already awesome IP, announced weeks ago i wouldn't doubt this KS would push close to a million.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PRESS RELEASE

MUTANT CHRONICLES: SIEGE OF THE CITADEL SECURES DEAL FOR CO-PUBLISHING, GLOBAL DISTRIBUTION, AND LOCALIZATION WITH FANTASY FLIGHT GAMES.

Today Modiphius Entertainment, publisher of the Achtung! Cthulhu, Mutant Chronicles, Conan, Infinity, and John Carter of Mars roleplaying games, and Cabinet Entertainment (Conan the Barbarian, Kull of Atlantis, Solomon Kane, Mutant Chronicles, Mutant: Year Zero, Kult) announced a new partnership with Fantasy Flight Games for the global publishing, retail distribution, localization, and translation of the Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel miniatures board game.

In a joint statement issued by Fredrik Malmberg, president and CEO of Cabinet Entertainment and Chris Birch, publishing director of Modiphius Entertainment, “FFG’s global reach is unsurpassed in the hobby game industry and their expertise allows us the opportunity to focus on the game’s design and development. We’re thrilled to be working with them to bring Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel to friendly local game shops everywhere.”

Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel has currently raised more than $280,000 in a highly successful Kickstarter campaign with more than 2200 backers and three days to go. The retail version of Siege of the Citadel will be released worldwide after the delivery of the Kickstarter rewards, which are due to be shipped Q4 2017.

Siege of the Citadel, originally designed by Richard Borg and published by Target Games and Pressman Toys in the 1990s, was one of the first games of its kind to offer character development and the unique rotating Dark Legion player, among other groundbreaking ideas. Conceived by Sweden’s gaming powerhouse Target Games, Siege of the Citadel was advertised on television in the US and hundreds of gamers still own much loved copies across the world. This new edition reboots the classic game with balanced and updated rules, 40 new sculpted minis, new double-sided tiles, new creatures, and an A-List design team of Richard Borg, Eric M. Lang and Kevin Wilson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent DePonte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
This is interesting.

As a rule I don't back games on KS that don't have finished rules but if FFG is involved I might make an exception. I'm sure their financial liability if the project goes south is almost nothing but I don't think they would get involved with a project they don't feel really confident will get finished even if their exposure is minimal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond Gravel
msg tools
Borg, Lang, Wilson, Little, Modiphius and now FFG... How much do you need to get confident? This is a pretty solid combo I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paireon Skiboute
Canada
flag msg tools
MY BODY IS READY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Does this mean a price hike?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Birch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Quite possibly the retail version will be higher anyway since we put so much in the box. It also means you wont get online retailers in the US selling it cheap due to the new trade agreements
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent DePonte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
JoystickJunkies wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Quite possibly the retail version will be higher anyway since we put so much in the box. It also means you wont get online retailers in the US selling it cheap due to the new trade agreements

How do you figure? FFG games are still ~25% under retail online even with Asmodees new policies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” ― Terry Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
FellintoOblivion wrote:
JoystickJunkies wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

How do you figure? FFG games are still ~25% under retail online even with Asmodees new policies.

But their initial asking price is higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hann
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
FellintoOblivion wrote:
JoystickJunkies wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

If you look at the recent releases from Fantasy Flight at places like Cool Stuff and Mini Market, you'all see they only provide a 15% discount. Sure older games have a larger discount but any new games coming out you're only going to see with a 15% discount at best. I wouldn't be surprised to see this go to 10% by the time Siege of the Citadel comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well shit.

I do like Fantasy Flight, I just hope they don't get their hands on the rules. I do not want this to be a 24 page bloated rules set with ridiculous line of sight rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
thaddeuspwhirl wrote:
We know that the higher-ups there have a love for the IP as they released their own minis game in the Mutant Chronicles universe a number of years ago.
And aborted it quickly.

Mutant Chronicles Collectible Miniatures Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent DePonte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
fightcitymayor wrote:
thaddeuspwhirl wrote:
We know that the higher-ups there have a love for the IP as they released their own minis game in the Mutant Chronicles universe a number of years ago.
And aborted it quickly.

Mutant Chronicles Collectible Miniatures Game

What an abortion that thing was.

Terrible distribution, terrible marketing and a terribly run business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tham
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Best game ever!
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannman wrote:
FellintoOblivion wrote:
JoystickJunkies wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

If you look at the recent releases from Fantasy Flight at places like Cool Stuff and Mini Market, you'all see they only provide a 15% discount. Sure older games have a larger discount but any new games coming out you're only going to see with a 15% discount at best. I wouldn't be surprised to see this go to 10% by the time Siege of the Citadel comes out.

Wow. Thanks for the info. I did not realize the price hike was continuing. FFG is really testing the market to see how far they can raise prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chriswtham wrote:
Hannman wrote:
FellintoOblivion wrote:
JoystickJunkies wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Wow. Thanks for the info. I did not realize the price hike was continuing. FFG is really testing the market to see how far they can raise prices. :(

Their strategy working btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Keiwa wrote:
Wow!

Oddly enough I would think this is less reason to Kickstart. The main reason to KS is you don't think the game will be produced without the KS funds. With FFG backing funds shouldn't be a problem. I'll definitely check it out when it hits retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
Keiwa wrote:
Wow!

Oddly enough I would think this is less reason to Kickstart. The main reason to KS is you don't think the game will be produced without the KS funds. With FFG backing funds shouldn't be a problem. I'll definitely check it out when it hits retail.
I suspect that it took a successful KS to demonstrate to FFG that there was a demand for the product. Now Modiphius have access to a vastly experienced producer of games of this ilk who can - at minimum - bring to bear resources for localisation, resources that would be beyond Modiphius' reach unless the KS blew up completely (which is hasn't and won't).

The KS is nothing to do with FFG as far as I can tell, they'll just come along as co-publisher as the line goes into normal retail cycles (though I'm sure they'll be there to assist Modiphius post-KS as they now have a vested interest. I see nothing out of line with normal KS practices - in many ways they've just shortened (OK, eliminated) the gap between a successful KS-only release and said KS project being picked up by a retail scale publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG co-publishing this means absolutely nothing to me. There is no objective gameplay videos etc... and no rulebook posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Birch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
Well shit.

I do like Fantasy Flight, I just hope they don't get their hands on the rules. I do not want this to be a 24 page bloated rules set with ridiculous line of sight rules.

Modiphius and Cabinet are in charge of rules development :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmin Carotenuto
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I'll never reveal the Wu-Tang secret
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you able to tell us what will be available through retail channels other than the core game? I'm a huge supporter of my FLGS, and am not able to pledge to the Kickstarter, unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
I suspect that it took a successful KS to demonstrate to FFG that there was a demand for the product.

Boardgames are just catching up to videogames (again). I've seen various videogame KS whose purpose was to prove interest in the game, so that the game could attract further investors and also publishers. This also happens in various other products on KS (some sort of iPhone earbud untangler, iirc).

One think BGG'ers forget is that KS does *NOT* help a company bring a product to retail beyond initial overhead costs (which are nonetheless important), such as steel molds for plastic figures. KS does NOT help creators ship product. KS does NOT help creators find distributors. KS does NOT tell creators how many units will be sold retail. KS does NOT subsidize distributor discounts. With FFG as a partner, Siege will have retail distribution that they alone may not have, or at least may not be able to do as well by themselves. Mophidius will be able to focus resources on KS backers and product, rather than costs and risks of the traditional retailer-distributor channel. Most BGG'ers have no reason to buy miniatures, but most miniature creators I see on KS still have no retailer presence beyond their own webstores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.