Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Playing a game on OCTGN. I'm Lannister banner Baratheon. My opponent is a straight Targaryen. I drew "Renly Baratheon" (STR 4) during setup, so he was on the table right away, which was perfect due to his beneficial marshaling ability. (Not to mention that he has all three icons). Plus I drew a duplicate of him after setup for my starting hand. Yes!

It's the first round of the game and my opponent gets initiative and decides to keep first player. In a few seconds I'm about to find out why... he marshaled "Crown of Gold" and slapped it on Renly! Oh no!

Renly's dead. Right away. Didn't even have a chance to put his dupe out! soblue

Have any of you guys had a similar (or not) bad experience with "Crown of Gold"? The thing that makes this card so nasty is that it can be used to kill a character during the Marshaling Phase!

Although I own the set it came from and was vaguely aware of its existence, this is the first time I've seen it played. Took me by total surprise. Plus my opponent used a discount when he marshaled it, to boot! So it cost him only 3 Gold to totally kill off one of my more useful characters right out of the gate!

I guess another reason I'm posting this is with hopes that one of you guys will tell me that I was missing something really basic, and that CoG can't be used to "auto-kill" a 4 STR character! But I don't think that's the case.

CROWN OF GOLD
Cost: 4
Deck Limit: 1. Terminal.
Attached character gains the King trait.
Attached character gets -4 STR and is killed if its STR is 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong, it's a strong card. It's a nice card to have for Targaryans, but it has a really high cost and has a deck limit of 1. There are other, cheaper 'kill-cards' like Tears of Lys and Put to the Sword that are probably stronger (cheaper)?

Anyway, molten gold hurts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Andersson
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
Uuurrh! I let him in, uuuhh, was that not cool? Arrrarrh...
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be annoying but seeing them spend 4 (or 3 and fealty in this case) on it often makes it ok, and you should be glad that you didn't dupe Renly since it wouldn't save him and now at least you have some intrigue fodder (or unknown card in hand)... (also I don't think Renly should be one of your "more useful characters" in a Lanni/Bara but I might be wrong).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark S.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
ilgoga wrote:
since it wouldn't save him.

For (my own) clarity: is this because the Crown Of Gold is a 'permanent' condition - meaning that the save can't really apply since the -4 strength doesn't go away, even after a save?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, except I think the word you're looking for is "constant" rather than "permanent".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Crown of Gold is an excellent card. Burn on demand. It's even better with Dany on the table (kills 5 STR Characters).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Olijf wrote:
Don't get me wrong, it's a strong card. It's a nice card to have for Targaryans, but it has a really high cost and has a deck limit of 1. There are other, cheaper 'kill-cards' like Tears of Lys and Put to the Sword that are probably stronger (cheaper)?

I agree there are cheaper 'kill cards' as you mentioned, but that Crown of Gold does its killing during the Marshaling Phase is what makes it especially nasty, especially if it's the 2nd player who's playing the card. It was being killed outside the Challenges Phase that surprised me. Are there any other cards that can kill outside the Challenges Phase?

ilgoga wrote:
(also I don't think Renly should be one of your "more useful characters" in a Lanni/Bara but I might be wrong).

There are two reasons for me, behind him being one of the "more useful"...
1) I don't own the entire card pool (I have only the first three chapter packs and Wolves of the North).
2) Although I enjoy answering rules questions here on the geek, it doesn't mean I know what I'm doing! modest ( Notice how I don't answer any strategy questions). It's like the old adage... "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

So compared to the cards I own, and given my casual-level knowledge of strategy, I find him a worthwhile card for a Banner deck... especially if I can get him out during setup or use some effect to overcome his high cost. As long as I can keep him alive, he always provides a permanent discount for my Lannister Characters. So again, if he can be put out during setup, that's great. Plus, having all three icons makes him extremely versatile at a decent strength.

The pitfall of course, is that his ability becomes less valuable as the game goes into the later rounds. So given his high cost, come the 4th round or later, he could instead be planned as a discard to allow greater freedom to bust your Reserve. Or as you mention, as "Intrigue fodder".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:
Yes, Crown of Gold is an excellent card. Burn on demand. It's even better with Dany on the table (kills 5 STR Characters).

Well, not exactly.
Dany's "burn" is only active against characters while they are in a challenge. If you drop Crown of Gold on a 5 STR target, he's at 1 STR but he will stay alive as long as he doesn't go into a challenge while Dany is standing.
That gives you at least the opportunity to remove the Crown, boost strength, or deal with Dany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Olijf wrote:

I agree there are cheaper 'kill cards' as you mentioned, but that Crown of Gold does its killing during the Marshaling Phase is what makes it especially nasty, especially if it's the 2nd player who's playing the card. It was being killed outside the Challenges Phase that surprised me. Are there any other cards that can kill outside the Challenges Phase?

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/agameofthrones2ndedition...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
sdrewthomson wrote:

Well, not exactly.
Dany's "burn" is only active against characters while they are in a challenge. If you drop Crown of Gold on a 5 STR target, he's at 1 STR but he will stay alive as long as he doesn't go into a challenge while Dany is standing.
That gives you at least the opportunity to remove the Crown, boost strength, or deal with Dany.

You're right, of course - my comment was slightly misleading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Vladimir17 wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/agameofthrones2ndedition...

Ah, thanks for that! "Venomous Blade" is part of 'Called to Arms', a pack I just bought but haven't opened yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miloboy gogogo
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyrion Lannister + 2 dup + body guard

Crown of gold

and all of them gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.