Crowdfunding: Kickstarter» Forums » General

Subject: Bats Outta Hell! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Uribe
United States
California
flag msg tools
Bats Outta Hell is a tabletop party game loaded with raunchy humor, truth-or-dare elements, as well as both board and card game play. The premise is simple; use fill-in-the-blank card game play to win Cloud Cards; The number on the Cloud Card determines how many spaces the winner of the card round moves on the board; everyone else moves one space each round. Some spaces have escalators, others have pipes. If you land on an escalator you skip ahead and must answer a "Divine Truth" question; alternately, if you land on a space with a pipe, you move backwards and have to complete a dare on a "Satan Dares You" pog. First player to The Gates of Heaven escapes Hell and wins the game.

We're running our kickstarter until November 21st, 12:27 am PDT.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1541214052/bats-outta-h...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering what is your motivation with this? The way I see it the parameters of this Kickstarter are ALL WRONG.

Just to start, did you do any research into modern board games? Do you even play some (if not many) of them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Morton
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your theme could be interesting, but your use of old school game mechanics and lack of knowledge in the industry will make it hard for people to take you seriously. If you want to take this seriously I would suggest you go back to the drawing board.

For game advise go here to start:

http://www.jamesmathe.com/

http://breakingintoboardgames.libsyn.com/

http://www.ludology.libsyn.com/

For Kickstarter advise (which will come latter) go here to start then read all the rest of his content:

http://stonemaiergames.com/kickstarter/lessons/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellbat1 wrote:
Bats Outta Hell is a tabletop party game loaded with raunchy humor, truth-or-dare elements, as well as both board and card game play. The premise is simple; use fill-in-the-blank card game play to win Cloud Cards; The number on the Cloud Card determines how many spaces the winner of the card round moves on the board; everyone else moves one space each round. Some spaces have escalators, others have pipes. If you land on an escalator you skip ahead and must answer a "Divine Truth" question; alternately, if you land on a space with a pipe, you move backwards and have to complete a dare on a "Satan Dares You" pog. First player to The Gates of Heaven escapes Hell and wins the game.

Snakes and Ladders is an objectively terrible game for children with objectively terrible mechanics.

CAH is already established and exists.

Truth or Dare is an activity that is already freely available to people.

Your plan seems to be an attempt to get people to buy your knock-off version of CAH by combining it with a terrible children's game and an activity people can already freely do.

Am I understanding this correctly? Is there anything more to your game than that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:

Snakes and Ladders is an objectively terrible game for children with objectively terrible mechanics.

I don't know, it's important to cultivate small children's Skinner Box programing. Otherwise how are they going to like gambling and phone games and stuff later on in life?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Green
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This strikes me as the product of a late night game of CAH in which one player suddenly thought "What if this game had a board?"

...but unfortunately, the only board nearby was for Chutes & Ladders.

Kudos for taking your idea and finishing it. I don't think people give enough credit for that, it's certainly worth being proud of having completed something and getting it to this stage.

The unfortunate part is that your game is going to be met with a LOT of resistance, and there are a few reasons:

1 It's very obvious to most gamers that you've cobbled together CAH (with numbers on the cards) with a Chutes/Snakes & Ladders board, and thrown in an element of Truth or Dare. There's nothing particularly new or interesting about this game, and especially for those of us who are jaded already with CAH and its many, many, many knockoffs. Its not that your game couldn't be fun (though many here may disagree with that as well), it's that you are asking us to pay for something which doesn't offer us any new experiences beyond adding a terrible board to a game we've played to death (or never had interest in).

2 Your goal is totally unrealistic. Even people who would want your game are going to see that goal and immediately be turned off, because it's simply not going to happen for this game, and given your level of professionalism in the campaign. More on that in the below point - but for this one, you are obviously not going about the KS in the right way if your costs are THAT high to produce this game. This game will simply not exist unless you further explore your options to get this printed at a much more reasonable level. If you continue to seriously chase this goal, you may want to get in touch with other fresh-start KS game creators and see what THEY did. No reason not to stand on the shoulders of giants, especially when your goal is that high in the sky.

3 I see you've improved your presentation going into your second try at the Kickstarter. But to hit such a lofty goal (which should be lower, as mentioned above), you really need to present yourself even better to the public if you want them trust their money to you. A gameplay video is nice, but your featured video should really be your pitch for the game, and you'll want to teach yourself a bit more about the fundamentals of video making and editing to put out a nicer pitch (try a tripod...). Many of your pictures are low quality and very blurry - this implies to the consumer that you rushed or did not take seriously the quality of the product you were showing us, which does not instill any confidence in what you are bringing. Remember, we are not entitled to help you with your project - you must earn our money. Finally, you have provided a lot of good info on the page, but the presentation needs improvement. The hasty, amateurish title images (especially "other stuff") don't do you any favors, but a nice presentation can earn you a lot more money. Again, there's clear improvement from your last try - but plenty of room to grow.

I recommend checking out some of these campaigns to see what you are up against - these campaigns exude professionalism and are what you should be striving to emulate to the best of your ability if you want to succeed:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/floodgategames/sagrada-...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/certifiablegames/endang...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2074786394/trove-the-cr...

Those are just a few of many, many examples that you need to look at before you submit this for your third try. The latter two were chosen as they were also by fresh companies, while the first is ongoing (but still by a smaller company who has broken into the market in the last couple of years).

I wish you luck in your endeavors, and I highly suggest that you rethink your current approach if you want to see success. The market is not exactly begging for another CAH-style game right now, but it's your dream to achieve, not mine. I do hope you take my advice and the advice of the other players and creators here and elsewhere to heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Fifty Six Thousand Dollars?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
Fifty Six Thousand Dollars?

They're already 0.1% of the way there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh good, this addresses the dearth of games using the innovative "fart a marshmallow across the room" dexterity mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
Oh good, this addresses the dearth of games using the innovative "fart a marshmallow across the room" dexterity mechanic.

A much neglected mechanism IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellbat1 wrote:

Danny,

One of the myriad things you have against you at the moment is the BGG NEWUSER tag which basically means no one knows you...and they certainly don't know anything about your game other than what you have provided in this forum. You've received some very helpful advice and a list of things I, too, would recommend that you read, digest, and ultimately consider whether you have the stamina for this type of enterprise. Anyone can come up with a game. Making it worthwhile and something others would be willing to buy...well, that's another story.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.