Xia: Embers of a Forsaken Star» Forums » General

Subject: The removal of Counterfeit Cargo rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john kim
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey guys,

I was just looking at the updated version of the rule book of this expansion and noticed that a rule was removed.

Counterfeit Cargo (Replaces “Tainted” You may ignore the tainted space of the Econ Board)
Counterfeit: When you purchase from Smuggler’s Den - place a cargo cube (of any type) from supply onto the “bounty” space of your ship mat this is the Counterfeit Marker. Your ship’s cargo is now known as Counterfeit, you cannot sell cargo at Loath while you have a Counterfeit Marker.

Cleared: Sell cubes at any planet besides Loath to remove the Counterfeit Marker from your bounty space, you are now cleared and can sell cargo at Loath again. The Counterfeit Marker is removed if your ship is destroyed

I've already implemented this rule in my games and thought it was a great way to balance out easy trade routes between Loath and Smuggler's Den. Just wondering what you guys think on why it was removed and your thoughts on the rule.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally like the removal of the rule from a thematic stand point. The idea that Smuggler's Den is making "fake Terra" or "fake Holo" just didn't make sense to me.

From a game stand point ... the Economy Board keeps the Smuggler's Den/Loath combo from being "easy." Even when you buy Cargo from the Smuggler's Den... it still has to come from the Economy Board. Selling it at Loath doesn't produce new cubes on the Economy Board. A few rounds of this will cause little to no cubes on the Economy Board. This then stops the Outlaw trading completely and completely starts benefiting the Miner/Harvesters/Salvagers as they are going to get extra money for selling their cargo since many resources will be "In Demand."

Edit: Grammer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Reason for removal was basically unnecessary complexity. The chances of Loath and Smugglers' Den being nearby in the expansion are even lower due to the extra 11 sectors. And even if they are nearby, the economy board limits the impact. That rule was always fiddly, and if we didn't need it (which we didn't), then it was better to remove it.

Of course, if you like it, please feel free to keep it in your home games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.