Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ege Tunca
Turkey
istanbul
flag msg tools
Come to the dark side we got cookies.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really looking forward to this game. After reading the rules it left me wondering if the game was over promising. From what I see the only thing thats changing is the work placement places on the table. And thats not very amazing..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it does not seem like an Epic adventure game but a lot of it will depend on what these action spaces are. Basedon the designers previous work, I am guessing he came up with some good ones.

But reading the rules, one game seems like a bit of drawing fruit using various spaces, buy a card, repeat two times, its over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we don't know yet how the later locations will pan out, so that might change things up. From the starting set, the game appears to be rather simple.

I preordered it based on the notion that it might hit the sweet spot between family and hobby game. Hopefully, my older kid will be able to grasp it rather quickly. If my target audience were adults, I would definitely have waited for the reviews to get some info on later cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ege Tunca
Turkey
istanbul
flag msg tools
Come to the dark side we got cookies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I wonder how the cards actually change the game. I just cancelled my pre-order to wait for the reviews

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thought I really have about this is that I'm not sure what people are expecting out of a 20-30 minute filler game. I'm not saying that you shouldn't exercise caution before buying, but it sort of feels some of you are expecting this to be a deep euro and I've never got that vibe from it. You're not going to cram Caylus into a 30 minute game. Waterdeep-lite is really where I've set the bar of expectations, and I've never seen anything to make me think otherwise. The rotating decks is just going to help with the replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethidium Bromide
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
mb
My interest in the game significantly dwindled and it was taken of my hot-list. Similarly, I will wait for reviews and it won't be a problem to get a copy later.

Well, I wasn't expecting it to be next the epic-legacy'ish Euro, but being underwhelmed might be a good word for my feelings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
But the only available (re)view of the game is really positive!

https://opinionatedgamers.com/2016/09/02/dale-yu-essen-2016-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From all the information I read I expected a very light card game that has changing objectives that change during and then throughout mulitple games, so I guess I expected pretty much the same that I expect now and I'm still very keen on getting it at Essen in a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, walk me through this....

take away the legacy part. It's a resource conversion, set collection game. Get goods, exchange them for other goods, eventually get points. There are cards that let you do cool things. Sounds like every other resource conversion/set collection euro.

Add in the legacy part. Now, the game will develop differently based on which special powers pop when. Presumably, over time, those special powers get cooler.

Now compare/contrast with Risk Legacy or Pandemic Legacy. The legacy part didn't add much to those games. They were still Risk and Pandemic, just with some cool things going on as the game developed.

If you're not a fan of resource conversion/set collection games, then Fabled Fruit probably isn't for you, the same way Risk didn't suddenly become interesting for me because they introduced a legacy element. But, I think the game will be as interesting as any of the huge number of other medium-light resource conversion/set collection games that get released every year.

Since it is Friedman Friese, I'm also curious to see what his take is on Legacy. If you think about what he's released over the last few years (Copycat, 504), they've been his take on the state of the game hobby as much as they are innovative games in their own right. Interesting, Insightful, but not "oh, wow! that's the coolest, best playing game I've ever seen."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Turner
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking for a fun light game that would offer a quick play time and a lot of replayability due to an ever changing landscape. From what I've read that is what this offers, so no, I'm not underwhelmed, I'm excited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex M
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is precisely what i wanted. A light worker placement game that is ever changing and is not becomming stale once you played it with a group of people for some time.

The one thing i am underwhelmed with is the seize of the box. It is way too big. Half the seize could have been enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Souli
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Feels like a light Agricola/Caverna without player boards and instead of new locations opening up every round it's every game. Also more player interaction. For me, will scratch that itch if I can't bring those two games out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Turner
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my preorder from Stronghold Games this weekend and wanted to check back in now that I've had a chance to play it a couple... okay 7 times in 2 days. I've been playing it as 3 player game and all of us have had a great time.

I usually get bored quickly with light games like this (which my family seems to prefer), so the constantly evolving board is great for me. Would love to see an expansion deck for animals 60-100.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned at Lobster Trap Saturday, was pleasantly surprised, and played a total of 4 times. It's the only game I replayed at this new-game-focused con. I plan to buy a copy, especially to play with my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think anyone just reading the rules or even playing the game just once will be underwhealmed. It's a simple worker placement, set collecting game.

But, if you play it 3-4 times and see how the game develops, it's easy to become an addicted fan.

The changing actions based on what players buy and the realization with the huge number of cards that it's going to take a lot of games (probably about 25) to get through them all, give this game its unique, legacy feel.

At some point you become eager to see what's next. And find enjoyment in knowing that your series of games is creating a legacy experience that is not like anyone else's. Even though it is a very simple game, it becomes somehow engaging and addictive.

Throw in charming art and fast game play (a single game takes 20-30 minutes) and it's easy to see why it has fans.

Play it at least 3-4 times, removing and adding cards as your games develop, before you judge it or you're really not really experiencing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethidium Bromide
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
mb
I am changing my "meh" towards "positive".

While playing I was keen to know next places and the new actions I could take. Moreover, I find it interesting how some cards will be gone much faster than the others, making certain actions lasting longer. This is, of course, depending on the randomness of fruit cards coming. In our game Mosquito cards were gone before someone claimed the first Rhino.

This could be a nice game for a campaign during lunch breaks - one play each day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.