5 Posts

Risk: The Walking Dead – Survival Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Conquest GamePlay rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aram Shatverov
msg tools
Please somebody clarify on this:

So we have a 5 player game where one of the players plays as The Walkers. As it comes from the rules walkers are treated exactly the same as any other group and other groups dont get bonuses when attacking walkers in a conquest mode. What I want to clarify is the following:
1) What Bonuses is the rulebook talking about?
2) When a plaer who plays the walkers kills someone, does his opponent throw a dice to determine wether his soldiers become walkers or not?
3) As the Conquest gameplay goes, the rulebook says that Event Cards, Guard Towers, Outbreaks and Grenades are not needed. But it kills the atmosphere of the game to play without them. And here comes the question: If we play Conquest mode just like the Survival Mode (with outbreaks,towers, event and etc) and with one of us playing as The Walkers - will it destroy the balance of the game? Wont the walkers be overpowered in this concern?

My main concern is that with each turn the player playing The Walkers gets free reinforcemnts aside from additional bonuses for crates, territories, towers and etc which makes them already super powerful.

Please clarify on this ASAP! Thanks a lot in advance! What is the best way to play a five player game?

PS If there are 6+ peaple willing to play the game, how do we deal with those who didnt get Leader cards? Do they just appear with no leader bonuses whatsover (I have additional armies from Vanila RISK). Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trev S
msg tools
Wow a friend of mine and our kids just played Conquest last night, and I woke this morning to see if others have the same questions on here. The rulebook is not organized very well and needs some clarification.

The rules are vague in many respects, especially when it comes to playing the conquest mode. We had 5 players in our game, and I ended up playing the walkers. We somehow missed the part in the rulebook that stated event cards, towers, grenades and outbreak tracker were not needed. Oops, but it was fun nonetheless. We also used the event cards but found that some missions were not possible to accomplish. We found this out in survival mode as well. As far as the outbreaks went, we DID use the outbreaks and added walkers to the board every turn. This was surprisingly fun for all because it added interest and excitement to the gameflow. We agreed after the game that if we treated everyone the same (as it states) it would be no different than classic risk. We were glad we kept the special "walker rules."

Another thing we did that helped stem the constant outbreaks was during a battle between a survivor and a walker, survivors always gained +1 on their dice roll. I (being walkers) was at a constant disadvantage with that rule. I lost a lot for sure! But I gained some walkers as well after defeating a survivor the player would roll to see if they turn.

To answer your question regarding the walkers gaining strength.. Yes, they do gain a lot of strength over time. Early on its a few here and there and they seem to get stomped with the +1 dice roll. However, they need to be beaten back early in the game, otherwise you know it will get ugly.

We played for 3 hours and had a great time. I am curious to see what others have to share about this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aram Shatverov
msg tools
We played a few games and we came to a conclusion that the most fun way to play it is Survival Mode. Its well balanced, theme oriented and has all features of the game working with no harm to the balance. Random factor is awesome. There were 6 of us playing so we used vanila risk figures for the other two players. They played like normal players but without leader cards and it made the game even more realstic because we had basicly two players who represented regular citizens struggling to survive among other groups from comics with bonus abilities.
Its always good to own Vanila Risk =D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: Tetrarchia, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
arkaram wrote:
We played a few games and we came to a conclusion that the most fun way to play it is Survival Mode.

All the thematic versions of Risk propose as an alternative mode playing with the 'classic' rules, but I have never seen the point. I bought the Star Wars versions because of the theme AND because they added some (little) strategy and depth to the original game, that I find too simple nowadays. And the WD version too, for the same reasons.

I guess they always propose the 'classic' mode for non-gamers that just want to remember their youth playing Risk with another map and minis. But classic Risk will be always worse, as a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aram Shatverov
msg tools
A question arose about the Prisoner's Group. When does a defender subtracts one from his lowest dice? As far as we understood it - basicly it only works ONCE each turn. The ability works for one time only, for one dice role each turn, right??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.